1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread -3rd Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Well, quite simple, if you switch the ports round and the Seagates show up and not the WDs, it's either the ports or the cables. If you switch them round and it's still the Seagates not turning up, then it's a little more complicated :p

2. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

THATS just it sam, the last senerio you said there.. ive switched all ports around in favor of each and every drive. its only the 2 seagate drives that dont show up?? im at a loss for what would cause that. tbh im leaning more towards the hdds being shakey to say the least. its just odd for everything to work but the seagate drives, but i can see yea 1 drive being faulty but 2 at the same time?? and there not even the same drive. a 250gb and a 500gb??

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The only explanation I can think of really, apart from a rare batch failure, is perhaps a power surge to that pair of drives. Can you get them to show at all, in any configuration? If you can get them to work properly when isolated from the other drives, then the power surge can probably be ruled out.

4. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

rob, check gigabyte site for bios update & see if there is 1 directed at hard drives.

5. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

i did have the 250gb show when i had it all by its self. but the 500gb wouldnt. as of right now. Will has the drives and he told me the 250gb shows fine for him but the 500gb wont show at all. keeps asking for the install disc.. so it looks as if the 500gb drive may be faulty, but why would it cause the 250gb not to be shown when it was being used together????

EDIT: i think the F10 bios i have is the newest update for this board. i will look into it more though.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2009
  6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Having faulty drives plugged into hard drive controllers wreaks all sorts of havoc, that's no fault of the controller, it's just how they work. One of the simplest ways of stopping a PC from being able to even POST is to attach an IDE drive but forget the power. Bad hard drives cause crazy things. As long as the 250GB drive works fine in all cases except those where the 500 is present, I'm thinking it's a simple case of faulty drive (500)

7. ddp

1 faulty drive can cause another drive to appear faulty until the actual 1 is removed. try the 250 with the wd drives without the 500g attached.

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Haha, we both posted the same message, only I used three times as many words as was necessary... Got to cut down a bit :p

9. ddp

we also posted the same time.

10. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

I think a New drive is in order Sam throw Seagate out the window.lol them and Maxtor are in the same Boat of of Bio Boot fails
    not seeing... I Tryed every color cable availible and nothing when.I hooked it up as a slave in every sata port even the purple 1's.lol the system booting real slow this below where the arrow is sometime it froze and started running again.I even tryed Solo cause Ro said it had a OS on it(Nothing) something Quick working hard drive (Dead)

[​IMG]

@CincyRob
    Get your RMA ready to send this Boy back.I tryed everything the drive is spinning yes just not detecting in any of my boards ep35c-ds3r,ep35-ds3r,ep45-ud3p and the biostar I45 both windows xp home 32 and 64 and win 7. I've tryed to do a fresh install did'nt show up the 250 No Problems

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    this is your Old board it's on p35-ds3r 2.0rev Ask for a refund and get a

WD500Green
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136358

Wd1Tb
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136317

I got both slapped in the centurion

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 1, 2009
  11. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I can't trust Seagate anymore. They blew it for me. Western Digital never has failed me. I'm so confident while saying that, I DON'T need to knock on wood. I hope they make an SSD that blows the competition out of the water. While I respect OCZ and Intel, I would sure love to continue using WD when I make the transition to SSD.

12. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

I always Liked WD never have let me down as well:)

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The 7200.11 is where it started getting iffy for Seagate. The 7200.10 and 7200.9 are pretty solid and I'm not concerned about owning one of each in 750 and 250GB respectively, but as you see, the 7200.11s aren't bulletproof, and the 7200.12s do this all the time even when new. With the large size of Seagate's new drives, that's a lot of data to lose.
    So far, the only dodgy WD I've had was one of the very first WD5000AAKS drives, which wouldn't write properly, but you could still read from it, and to be honest, thinking about it it may well have just been dodgy firmware which I could have flashed, it never even occurred to me at the time. Even the 37GB Raptor I bought off someone with some bad sectors that got reallocated still works 100%. Frankly WD is the only name in mechanical storage I trust.

14. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

well it looks like i need t oget in touch with seagate, as that drive is only 6months old(since ive bought it) time for a RMA. or just look into a 1TB WD drive. thats what i need.

15. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

Good deal give me call when you ready to swing by and pick them up.i suggest 1TB WD Green also...I hav'en had any problems with it...I just use it for storage that's it of torrents.I would like to have another one beside it that's what that empty space is for in my hard drive bay is for...

[​IMG]

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/3288/hddlist.jpg

Of the top 4, it's WD, Samsung, Samsung, Seagate
    Of the bottom 9, it's WD, WD, WD, Samsung, WD, WD, WD, WD, Seagate.
    In order of noise, I would place (from noisiest to quietest)
    1. Illusion (Seagate) - Random beeping when accessed (known issue with 7200.10 750GB drives), loudest seek of all but one of the drives, joint 2nd loudest vibration (120Hz)
    2. Pegasus (Samsung) - Highest vibration of all (120Hz), can exceed volume of gaming PC fans at full speed when resonance occurs
    3. Candela (Seagate) - Loudest seek of any HDD I own (Raptors inclusive)
    4. Radiance (Samsung F1) - Joint 2nd Loudest vibration (120Hz), significant airborne noise (c. 1560Hz)
    5. Adrius (Samsung F1) - Joint 2nd Loudest vibration (120Hz)
    6. Eclipse (WD Black) - Mediocre vibration, 3rd noisiest seek
    7. Aurora (WD Blue) - Mediocre vibration, normal seek
    8. Mirage (WD Blue) - Little vibration, normal seek
    9. Tie for 5 WD green drives - Minimal vibration, negligible seek

Aurora is empty as I'm selling it this weekend, with a view to replacing its spot in January with another WD15EADS. Should also cut the vibration level down a bit.

17. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

RMS? Whats that? :)

Ahh, are you using the mathematical meaning?

Last edited: Dec 2, 2009
  18. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Oman7,
    I don't use any large drives to begin with, and used WD drives until I had a 1GB go bad and then the 2Gb drive that WD replaced the 1GB with went South. I switched to maxtor drives, and never had any problems with them, even though a lot of people had problems with the Diamond 8 and 9 series drives. When Maxtor became part of Seagate, I started using Seagates. I've had the odd Deathstar and Spinpoint drives, here and there, which were very noisy if used as the boot drive, but not near as noisy when used for storage. They were also slower than the Seagates. I'm looking into a 500GB WD to add to my computer for storage, and am considering one of these!
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136320
    Seagate has cheaper 500GB drives, but few have the 5 year warranty of the WD model I'm considering. I'm not interested in the Green drives at all, I like the 7200 rpm drives. There's also the question if the WD will be as fast as my two Seagates. Both of mine are 93MB/s, while other drives I've used are only 73MB/s. Since it's going to be used to store DVDs, I'm not too worried about it.

Best Regards,
    Russ

19. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Windows 7 is installed on my Brothers WD5001AALS. It does very well. It doesn't quite have the feel of the WD1001FALS, but it tries ;) The WD1001FALS is the best drive i've bought thus far! I had to have a second one. The newest one is my Boot drive in my XP secondary pc. It does VERY well :D

20. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Oman7,
    For my intended use, I don't think I could justify the $35 price difference if I bought the WD1001FALS.

Russ

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.