1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread -3rd Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Ahh. Well...in my opinion you'll be missing out on a significant performance gain. The AALS and AAKS have nothing on the FALS drive. I don't know how to explain it, but the FALS almost feels like the Velociraptor...

2. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Oman7,
    Since I would never use a drive that large to put my OS on, it won't really matter that much. I thought about getting an 80GB drive for my boot drive, but 160s are only a couple of dollars more, so I'll stick with it. I even tought about getting a WD 250 w/16MB Cache, but again the WD5001AALS is only a few dollars more, and has a 32MB Cache. I want a third physical drive to optimize DVDRB/CCE performance like Creaky does with his!

Russ

3. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

LOL! That's what I do. Rebuilder utilizes 2 opposite drives, so my OS drive doesn't interfere with the encode. However, it does slightly because I believe it uses the OS drives cache...

4. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

Well i use HC not CCE, but yep, i have DVD-RB's source folder on one drive, the work folder on another and the destination folder on yet another. I do this for all other programs too. Mine are all WD5000AAKS's (well apart from the externals, most of which are WK5000AAKB's), i use large drives for the OS too as i use the remaining space for storage, but i sort of understand why a lot of people use small drives for the OS. I don't agree with using small drives, but i do understand it :p

Last edited: Dec 2, 2009
  5. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Creaky,
    If I just use it for OS and storage, the 160 will be fine. Make the C partition about 50GB, and the D partition for Program storage and such, it works out to being much quieter. My Seagate 160 is dead silent, and at 93MB/s, is quite fast! I can get a Western Digital Caviar Green WD7500AADS 750GB SATA 3.0Gb for the same price as the WD5001AALS 500GB, but they obviously have problems with the design, and they seem to have a very high failure rate. The WD5001AALS seems to be the better drive by far! Just going over all the reviews on Newegg, I counted 22 failed or DOA drives out of reviews of the Green 750GB. That's around a 20% failure rate! Way to high for me to consider.

Russ

6. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

I'm just glad i went with the WD5000AAKB's/AAKS's as the 13 i have are 2 years old now, virtually silent, no vibration whether internal or external in caddies, and (touch wood) perfectly fine.

7. Red_Maw

Red_Maw Regular member

My cpu no longer passes IBT (linpack) but before I do anything drastic, can anyone confirm if IBT works on windows 7? So far I've seen mixed results (working for some and not others).

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I'll be honest, my "career" with WD didn't start until a 160GB IDE drive at the beginning of 2004. Ever since then I've preferred the WDs to other drives, for various reasons. Maxtors and Seagates used to be the noisiest - Maxtor got you cheap, Seagate got you reliability. As of 7200.11 Seagate finally figured out how to make HDDs quiet, but at the cost of making them reliable. Seagate recently withdrew their long-standing 5 year warranty program to "be in line with the rest of the industry". Now all you get with a Seagate is 3 years. That should say enough.
    If you don't care much about noise, there is no reason not to buy 7200rpm drives. For absolute storage capacity and quietness, the 5400rpm drives make absolute sence, the storage per £/$ is incredible, and the noise level of all the 5400rpm competitors is negligible. I've pulled 80MB/s off even my 5400rpm drives before, the 7200 WDs I own made about 90, the Black is good for over 100. In real world file transfers this comes out at around 65, 75, and 85-90.
    I agree with Creaky in not using a large drive for the OS, as it's a waste not to put anything else on it, and if you do, you compromise on the performance gains of buying a black drive in the first place. That said, buying a drive any smaller than 750GB is now counterproductive due to the cost, a 1TB drive only costs 60% more than a 500GB drive.
    The 1TB and 1.5TB green drives have a high failure rate on newegg, but I've had no issues, nor did I expect any. Quite frankly, I chalk newegg reviews like that up to delivery damage (common for HDDs) or user ignorance.

Omega: No, RMS is short for Ratmanscoop - identifies my gamer name.

Maw: I don't think I've tested it. To be honest, I stopped using Linpack when I realised I could still have an unstable PC even if it passed, yet it could crash when my PC had been at the same stable settings for 6 weeks.

9. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sam,
    Some of Seagate's warranty's are less than a year for some bare drives. They still have about 20% of the drives listed on Newegg as 5 year warranty though. 6 out of 25!

Russ

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

They do for now, I'm willing to bet only the enterprise grade megabucks drives will have it next time around... :S

11. Red_Maw

Red_Maw Regular member

In my case I'm using to to try and locate the source of my instability; I'll probably just RMA the MB to start with, don't think I can narrow it down any further anyway.

Out of curiosity, what do you use as a stability test, if anything?

12. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

JEEZUS WTF LOL!!!!!!!!!!!! That picture just kills me. Most of them are full XD

This is all I can manage right now:

http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/2320/drivesblackdragon.png

My other PC has 2.5TB of drives with one 1TB WD Green full, one half full, and a Samsung Spinpoint HD501LJ as the OS drive.

13. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

Why you don't like the Green? They gave a reason why they made the green
    I wanna say alittle on the energy bill.I won't buy nothing but WD drives plus.I like the low power spin-up time and the IntelliPower...

Happy Build'in
    Ya'll

14. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

Red_Maw.I running Win 7 Ultimate 32bit on my UD3P no problems here I passes at 10 passes on IBT and LinX

IBT at 3935 at Ten Passes No Problems.I dropped down again and rest here for now

[​IMG]

LinX 10 passes at 4130 passed no Problems

[​IMG]

Check your vcore maybe you need alittle more mch Juice something slipped out of place

15. Red_Maw

Red_Maw Regular member

Thanks. I've checked everything and even did a run at 1.3v, which is what i used to hit 3.6ghz two years ago, and it still failed at stock. I'm hoping it's the MB as if I can and do get a replacement from Intel it won't OC nearly as well as my current one.

43C at 4.1ghz during linX, if that's on air I'm impressed (and quite jealous lol). I can't even get temps that good on stock lol.

16. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

naw i hit the reset afterwords it was between 61c & 68c on the stress test sorry for that I'm idle at 36c now:)

17. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Will,
    I don't like them because of the high failure rate. Way too high! I just got done looking over 174 "poor" WD Green reviews, and virtually all of them were DOA or drives that failed in fairly short order. I can't lay the blame on Newegg, as every drive I ever bought from them worked fine and was packed well. The only DOA drive I ever had was Air Mailed about 40 feet into my front yard by a FedEx driver, and that was from TigerDirect.

Most HDDs can handle quite a bit of shock when powered down with the heads parked. Something on the order of 300G for 2ms. Even powered, they can still absorb about 65G for 2ms, because the moving parts that could cause a problem, like the heads, are super light and have so little inertia to them. The new 2TB Green Drive has been a nightmare for many that bought one, with either DOAs or quick failures. If you had a lot of Green drives, presuming they last, I guess you could make a difference in the electric bill, buy 1 drive is not going to show a measurable difference. I don't like or use Kool and Quiet either, It's annoying! I prefer all my case fans to run at a constant speed, ie: familiar sound!

I've done my green bit for energy with my CPU! I know you are going to say that both the 7750 and the 630 are 95w CPUs, and you would be right, but aside from CCE, which is the only program I have that uses all 4 cores, it uses less than 50w, using two cores or less. The max each core can draw, is only 23.75w, where each core on the 7750 was 47.5w. Even single core apps could draw as much as that, with the 7750.

Best Regards,
    Russ

18. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

So Will,
    Where's the Sandra benches already? Not the 2009 one though, please! LOL!!

Russ

Last edited: Dec 3, 2009
  19. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I dunno. My 1Tb drive blows away the 5000AAKS. No doubt about it. Everything runs MUCH smoother. Besides, i'm pretty sure the FALS drive has better Mb/s. As well it should. Size and speed seem to go hand in hand.

Planning ahead here. Is it possible, that a Pentium 4 Prescott (2.4Ghz) can handle a Windows 7 64bit OS?
    Intel Says "No" to 64-bit Pentium 4 in Retail
    So just because it COULD be deactivated, surely the OS would recognize the potential (as it were), and be ok with the install.

20. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

huh?

I personally love putting my OS on a big drive, my last 8 HDD haven't been less than 500GB, roughly since they were the current 1TB price.
    Of course I use a 100GB C: partition while the other one is a random storage collector, with page and temp files for both my XP and Win7 discs, DVD-RB work folder, local copies of applications used to diagnose clients machines etc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.