1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread -3rd Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

sam has quiet a few green 1TB drives, that all work perfectly fine.

personally i think, SSD for the OS drive, a small (like 80GB) for the PAge file, and a nice 1.5TB 5400RPM Drive for storage, (possibel one more externally for backup) :)

2. Red_Maw

Red_Maw Regular member

^ I would agree with that. Currently I have a 80GB OS drive (half linux, half windoze) and and some storage drives. Would like to get a SSD but they still cost too much for me.

3. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I think most of us would love to get our paws on a new SSD. Heck, I'd like a dozen. Just so I could stare at the other eleven LOL!!!

4. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

The only thing I regret about my SSD is that I jumped at the 30GB while it was on sale. Granted it works astoundingly well, its just a little small now that the new car smell has worn off. I'm too cheap to buy the size I want so I turn my attention to other things.

5. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

You're joking surely ?, a P4 would be annihilated by Win7, a P4 can obviously run XP fine and any linux you care to throw at it, but Win7, keep dreaming :p.
    I'll bet that even if it installs, it'd probably take an age to boot up, then open something like notepad and it'd probably catch fire.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2009
  6. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I think your forgetting the Semi Ancient systems that have ran it. My 1.4Ghz Athlon for instance... with only 512Mb ram.

7. creaky

I haven't tried it on something so old. I was just googling and it seems a lot of people try it, but whether it works or not, my point remains, why ?; obviously Win7 is much leaner than Vista so i guess it should run, but i'm guessing it would 'just about run' ?, why (for example) have fast main systems then use old machines for a new OS that surely would run a slower than XP, when an older OS (or better still, linux) would wring much more performance out of said old clunkers ?...

Maybe it's just me but it doesn't make sense :)

My Athlon 2800 (2.083GHz, 1GB RAM) always ran XP fine (DVD-RB took 5 hours for movie only mode!) but runs Puppy linux way better, but it's still a lowly Athlon at the end of the day.

8. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Creaky seeing as you are the premier Linux user here, do you know of a good source for 32-bit VIA Linux drivers? Specifically the KM400 chipset???

I have an older AMD-based Slimline Laptop with an Athlon Xp 2200+ and 1GB of RAM. It's an Averatech 3200 but drivers from their(Averatech/TriGem) site won't work for most of the hardware and even the drivers from the site archives and third party sites won't work. I figured I'd try Win 7 on it to see if it auto loads them but Linux might be better suited for it due to its lightweight nature. Any recommends on where to find drivers and which flavor of Linux might be suited for a light duty surfing/movies machine?

9. creaky

I'm pretty sure my Athlon 2800 machine is the KM400 VIA chipset too. I haven't had anything not work on this machine in the various linux distro's i've used on it. I would definitely recommend Puppy linux, i'm using 4.2.1 on mine. I tend to use the Athlon as a secondary surfing/movie watching/scripting machine whenever i'm using the (triple boot - Win7/Puppy 4.20/Macpup Foxy 3.0) C2D in Macpup mode (don't find the need to run Win7 now!) ~ http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_jump.cfm/637778/4946359 - the Enlightenment window manager is awesome btw.

10. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I'm simply playing is all. My bro bought a 40" 1080P LCD tv, and we hooked is POS Dell up to it. It looks good. But the XP installation on it is running like MOLASSES! Even Windows 7 would run better. Yes, it's running that slow LOL! I guess im gonna find out. If only for curiosity sake. I'll definitely bring an XP installation disc with just to be sure. It's gonna act as a temporary media center. What IS the best OS for a media center anyway? I love windows 7 enough to make it as such... but I imagine there are better suited.

11. creaky

I haven't used Windows Media Centre myself so the other guys would have to comment on that. I use my old type xboxes with XBMC for movies, and sometimes XBMC on the PC's, but these days on my HTPC (Win7 C2D) i tend to just use windows explorer to locate the movie i want and fire up VLC player, it's quicker than navigating XBMC.

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Maw: I don't use any stability tests. As far as I'm concerned, if my PC doesn't crash, it's stable. I have yet to find any stability test that can replicate real-world usage.
    Jeff: Well, what can I say, I like my storage :p
    Will: The power bill is nice, in terms of energy costs it does make a difference though not a huge one unless you use as many of the drives as I do. The low power spin-up however is very handy as it means you can use a low-rated PSU to run lots of drives - My 380W EarthWatts has no issue spinning up 9 drives when 5 of them are WD Greens.
    As for temps, it has everything to do with voltage. I used to run my CPU at 1.40625V, a legacy from the attempts to get 4Ghz. I've since cut back to 1.300V and the impact on temps is incredible, idling at 32C instead of 40 is certainly a lot nicer, and I can get away with reduced CPU fan speed on load as well.
    Russ: If everthing panned for high failure rate on newegg actually failed as often as they said, I would have RMA'ed twice as much stuff as I actually have. Likewise if the amount of stuff rated 5 eggs on there was actually reliable, I'd have RMA'ed (or stomached the loss of) half the amount of hardware I actually have. The high failure rate for WD Green drives just doesn't really seem to exist. I have 6 of the drives without issue, and between my friends we must own 20, if not more. The only drives ANY of my friends have had to RMA lately, with the exception of Rob here, are Samsungs. 6 of them.
    With regard to the CPU energy usage, the same goes for any CPU. Unless you stress every single transistor it has, the power usage is nowhere near as high as it suggests. Graphics cards are much the same. Work my CPU as hard is it would normally get and I'll draw an extra 50 or 60 watts off normal. Run Linpack and it's more like 100-120. Play a game that maxes all 4 of my GPUs and 2 of my CPU cores and my A.C. draw is typically 750-810W. Run OCCT stress test on the GPUs and CPU and I broke 1060.

Shaff: Given the way pagefiles work, I would use an SSD for both the OS and the pagefile, along with a few regularly accessed programs, maybe some small games. SSDs don't degrade in performance as they fill like HDDs do, nor do they care about fragmentation, so technically you can brim one and get like-new performance, TRIM excluding.
    Personally, a thorough system design would include an SSD for the above purposes, a 7200rpm drive for games, and a 5400rpm drive for multimedia and backups, etc.
    Deadrum: I owned an original 30GB controller-less SSD, and I regret buying it. Completely unusable on its own without RAID.
    Omega: Some fail logic there! That'd be like saying a donkey pulling a caravan is so slow it'd be quicker pulling an aircraft.... :S

13. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I wouldn't call my logic fail. Windows 7 FOR ME, has been at least 20% smoother at install than XP. Although thats with proper hardware I suppose. My Older machine ran XP slightly quicker. But I'll say this for it. With only 512 ram, and 1.4 processor, it ran pretty steady! Although it had to disable aero...

14. creaky

Yeah but can you run anything other than the OS ? (serious question). I do have a P4 2.00GHz lappie with Geforce graphics and 512MB RAM (i think you need 1GB really) that i could try to install Win7 on as i have a few spare HDD's, i'm just dubious that it'd actually be worthwhile though...
    The trouble is thought that it's a bit of a pointless exercise, the lappie runs XP and Puppy linux perfectly, and even then it's only really booted up in Puppy. Of the 2 Win7 machines i have, the only one that gets used regularly now is the HTPC machine (as this triple boot that i'm on now is only used in Puppy now), and even the HTPC actually doesn't need to be Win7, it could be Puppy, XP or a.n.other linux.

Win7 is nice and everything, but it's just not essential for my uses :)

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Having run a competent PC on XP, there's no comparison, Win7 would still be much slower than an old PC once you load programs. Remember, I use more than 2GB of RAM when I have several chrome tabs open. Granted, some of that is due to it being 64-bit, but there's no way a 512MB system wil run Win7 properly with ANYTHING running (Oh, and FTR Win7 still uses a gig less than Vista - If I pushed it, I could break 4GB with Vista just by browsing the web)

16. creaky

That's what i was thinking, i think i'll give it a miss. It's just something i had no idea about hence why i hadn't researched it. But then why on earth would i have even considered researching something like that :p

Sorry OM7, it's just the way i see it, no offense.

17. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

My brother doesn't do anything PC exhaustive. And this system has 1Gb. I was merely comparing that this Dell SHOULD be able to run it slightly better. The old PC I ran it in used 87% of the ram(512), I wouldn't call it sluggish with how it was running. But I realize you're correct. Running to many windows/programs are gonna tax the ram quickly. Ahh, but isnt that where the pagefile comes in...

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Also remember Windows will never intentionally fill all of the RAM, it will start paging shortly before the end (about 60-100MB) to avoid the risk of entire system lockup due to lack of usable memory for shuffling. However, if a program is attempting to use a large amount of memory beyond what you have installed, the shuffling process may take a while. If, for example Crysis Warhead or GTA4 are running and exceed the RAM limit (which they will), because they exceed it by as much as 2GB in some cases, the shuffling process can freeze the PC (Ctrl+Alt+Del, Alt-Tab, the lot) for up to 20-30 minutes.

19. creaky

No because pagefile use equates to a hard drive thrashing to provide said pagefile, and such disc access (on an already slower machine) has a negative effect on the user experience. The best analogy i can think of is when you try to burn a cd or dvd on a memory-starved machine, the pagefile kicks in and it's bye bye performance and bye bye to the burn in many cases..

20. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Thanks for the useful info guys. I really do appreciate it. This particular computer really is only gonna browse youtube, Crazy$h!t, etc. It's not gonna do much else. I guess calling it an HTPC was a bit over the top LOL!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.