1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread -3rd Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

yup. the keyboard is ps/2 and the mouse is usb with the ps/2 adapter.

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Hmm, IIRC that has happened on occasion with dodgy BIOSes. Perhaps try using the Windows-based BIOS flash util?

3. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Hmm, have you tried a USB keyboard? I've had boards that have USB keyboard support turned off by default, and I've seen boards that have PS/2 keyboard support turned off by default. You simply enter the BIOS with the opposite type of keyboard and change the settings around.

4. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

we are looking for a usb keyboard now. thats what i was just thinking.

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Hmm, I'm familiar with USB off by default, can't say I've ever encountered PS/2 off by default, but it's certainly possible with modern boards.

6. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Also, @Creaky

Sweet thanks for the advice man :)

Last edited: Dec 3, 2009
  7. FredBun

FredBun Active member

Could be exactly what Sam said, back when when I needed to download a new XP, I needed to get into the bios for some reason or other and could not get in, mouse and keys would not work, Russ told me to get a PS/2 keyboard and WA LA, off to the races.

8. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Rob,
    Some motherboards will not see usb keyboards, even with Legacy USB turned on it the setup. I run into that all the time! That's why I always have a good PS/2 keyboard around! LOL!! I'm pretty sure that's the problem!

Happy Holidays,
    Russ

Russ

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Or, a USb to PS/2 adapter - handy things those. Assuming of course you don't use a backlit keyboard that would overload the power draw of the PS/2 socket... :S

10. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

well thats just it guys. we have now tried 3 different ps/2 keyboards and the 1 and only usb keyboard we found..and nothing happens with all 3 gigabye logo comes up and nothing after when hitting the poper keys. its like its stuck there. heres the part that i think its the I/O panel. once the puter is on and we are at the logo screen there are no lights what so ever on, on the keyboard. you know hitting the num locks or cap locks nothing comes on. i told him to call gigabyte tomorrow and talk with them maybe they know a trick or 2???? and if not then RMA is around the corner for a DOA. Russ you by chance dont have the number to gigabyte do you?

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

If it sticks at the Gigabyte logo are you sure it's not a failed POST? Could be stuck looking for an HDD, or failing the RAM test.

12. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

would it be looking for a hdd if it hasnt even setup windows onto a hdd yet? he hasnt been able ot do anything other than hit the power button.

13. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Rob,
    At this point I don't think anything is going to help. I would pull the battery for the CMOS and start from square 1. Probably cost you less hair!

BTW, you did turn the power off when you tried the PS/2 keyboards, didn't you? You can't plug or unplug one live, or the PS/2 keyboard will fail!

Russ

14. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

Russ
    yes i took out the battery and i unpluged the power cable... nothing works..

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I state that it's probably not the I/O directly as I can't tell if you see anything beyond the Gigabyte logo. If the logo does indeed disappear and you get a black screen asking for a system disk, or with a blinking cursor then perhaps it is, but if it remains permanently at the Gigabyte screen there's something else going on.

16. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

well theres some more info i forgot. it has twice gone past the logo and went to a blinking cursor but only twice out of the possible 20 times we tried to start it up.

17. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

Aight Russ here's your test at 4.13Ghz and the G.Skill Memory Bandwidth test also

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Remember this is when.I was running at 4.1 for a week stable at volts set at 1.343v to a vdroop to 1.312v, Now I'm back down to 3.93Ghz at 1.275v to a vdroop 1.248v. I'm still playing around with this board and having fun learning info about it and what it can do

exactly what...I'm using at this moment with the logitech wireless keyboard and mice me and Cincy have the same Logitech setup:)

[​IMG]
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823126174

I can say.I've had issue where I/O plate was'nt flush against the board and it made it hard for the PS/2 keyboard or mice to make a good connection.I have also seen some plugs with shorter pins to connect you have make sure that I/O plate is Good and flush with the board cause there can gap space between the two:)

Happy Building
    Ya'll

18. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

has the Num Lock lite up yet? keep tapping the Delete button if get to the bios go to intergrated peripherals and enable the usb keyboard function

19. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

no num locks no cap locks nothing lights up on the keyboard.. aint no getting into the bios here..lol he is going to get with newegg and have them rma it.

20. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

they send 1 to his e-mail to print out so he can send it back he can get in on a Chat with someone there if ya'll got time tonight.I believe

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.