1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread -3rd Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Red_Maw

Red_Maw Regular member

I did the same until it failed real-world usage during an important project lol.

Also I failed to mention that my system doesn't crash, it just fails to produce the same result for each pass.

2. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Rob,
    Do the keyboard lights flash on and off with either keyboard when you first turn on the power supply? Just curious, because they should!

Russ

3. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Thanks for the info. It just may come in handy! As soon as it acknowledges the friggin Dvd drive...I'll know more around noon tomorrow.

4. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

rob, i know this is obviuso, but did you dismantle everythign and try starting the mobo on a box? test bench style?

5. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Rob,
    One other thought would be to pull one of the memory sticks! That will force it to let you into the setup because it will tell you that the amount of memory has changed and ask you to press F1 to continue or F2 to enter the setup! Can't hurt trying!

Russ

6. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

that's a good Ideal for .I forgot about that to tell him to try:)

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 4, 2009
  7. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

yea when you tunr the power on the keyboard lights flashed once and then once hte logo screen came on it wouldnt do anything after that.

as for the mem i took them out and even put them in the 2 & 4 slots to no avail.

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The fact that it doesn't get past the BIOS most of the time, but not all of the time, suggests there's a POST issue to me, not a keyboard issue. Have you tried powering on the system with the HDD unplugged?

9. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

weve tried it with nothing pluged in other than the keyboard and mouse. tried it with 1 hdd and nothing else,tried with just the ODD and nothing else. tried a different hdd and nothing else. id say by now he has allready gotten with newegg and gotten a RMA.. so i doubt i/we will really know now. unless he gets another board and has the same issue??? then it would have to be the mem????

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Well, possibly, but the memory should have been easy to test unless both sticks are faulty. If all the usual tests have been exhausted I'm inclined to believe it's either the PSU or the board. The board is probably more likely.

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

12. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sam,
    I can't understand how you can say that about Arctic Cooling? I haven't had a single problem using Arctic coolers, in spite of having some real heaters for CPUs. I've never had a failure of any kind with either the Freezer 64 or the Freezer 7, and I've installed over 75, without issues. I know the Freezer 7 can give problems installing, and people constantly break the push pins because they just can't seem to grasp the fact that the pin has to be all the way flush in the hole before you push in the lock pin to hold it in place. I've personally never had any problems installing one, even though my Freezer 7 has been used for 3 different CPUs, and on at least 4 different motherboards.

My Freezer 64 does an excellent job of cooling my Athlon II x4 630, and the Athlon x2 7750 I had before that. It's quiet, and you really can't hear the fan at all until it gets to about 1700-1800 rpm. A vast improvement in noise levels, over the older design 64s!

The one Zalman 9500 I had, wound up leaking it's fluid all over my motherboard. Zalman replaced it for free, and it's still running just fine for close to 5 years now without any problems! I never bought another one, because Mounting them was such a PITA! It never did cool as well as the Arctic.

Best Regards,
    Russ

13. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Ok. I think i've discovered a real problem with the dell board. When he disconnected the Optical drive, while the PC was running, it also affected the Southbridge for the worst. For when audio is being processed, it also cracks and pops in tandem/sync with the HDD's clicking. Pretty weird eh? The southbridge is the only thing I can think of, which would cause such an unusual problem. It IS the main hub for in/out signals after all...
    Anybody else every seen something like that? So yah russ, this board is beyond its last leg LOL! I'm gonna surprise him this christmas with an HTPC! He's gonna $h!t a brick :D

14. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I would probably shoot a cat for finding him in there...
    [​IMG]

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Russ: I'm talking about companies that produce new products worse than their old ones, Arctic have managed it since the Freezer Extreme was a through let down. The Freezer 7 & Freezer 64 were always excellent products and still are, but the new ones are great. Likewise, the Zalmans like the 7700 and 9500 were good, but the new CNPS10x Extreme is awful. Once again, please read my posts more than once before replying.

16. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Ouch even both my old fashioned Tuniq 120s beat the crap out of the Extreme. The original is more in line with a Thermalright Ultra, but the Tuniq 120 Extreme is barely better than Intel's stock cooler if only because it's quieter.

17. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Hey russ, check out how bad his fragmentation was. The Dell i've been posting about. Eegats!!! My WD1001FALS was pretty bad one time, but not quite this bad...
    [​IMG]

18. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Oman7,
    I hope it didn't take 5 1/2 hours to defrag! LOL!! I use Auslogics myself. Haven't found anything faster!

Russ

19. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

OM7 - Re your screenshot - you could have run ccleaner or similar to clear out the temporary internet files/related junk, cleared down any working folders for any programs that contain gigabytes of crap, (ie DVD-RB working folder for example) etc etc, before defragging.
    I see you're still using that fake defragger, after i found that was a clone of that other well known defragger (can't remember the name off hand) i wouldn't be using that if it were me..
    But it's always worth cleaning up a bit before wasting hours defragging, you don't want to be wasting time and pc resources moving gigabytes of trash from one place to another (nor thousands of tiny temporary internet files). Also i'll wager that DMA is off for that hard drive which would explain why it runs 'like wood' and the ridiculous 5 hour defrag time. But as i say, try using a reputable defragger instead of that fake crap :p

Last edited: Dec 5, 2009
  20. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

LOL! That was just to have a look at it...

We deleted a lot of stuff, then simply ran the FAST optimize. I'm not sure how long that took. I left HIM to it :)

Creaky, I think your thinking of auslogics. And I thought that Auslogics was the copy cat. Besides, I ran Auslogics for $h!ts and giggles, and it took LONGER than my average time...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.