1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread -3rd Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The tech wasn't Larrabee. Larrabee sounded really promising, but for the last few months it's been painfully obvious it would be a real letdown. No, the technology with the i5 I was after was the Lucid Hydra platform.

2. keith1993

keith1993 Regular member

Auslogic is more or less a rip off of Piniform Defraggler anyway so you can't really moan about IObit.

Does anyone know right -This is probably impossible and I've been having Linux dreams- If you can stop windows from mounting DVDs on boot-up it's truly aimless and does my head in!

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Mounting? Do you mean Autoplay?

4. keith1993

keith1993 Regular member

No I mean when the disc spins up mid-way through booting even though you don't plan on using it until later on in the day.

It's not a thing linux does because the drive isn't mounted until you come to use it.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2009
  5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Not really researched it to be honest, I very rarely have discs in my ODD...

6. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

Nor me, but i do sometimes forget to remove blank discs out of one or more of the 3 internal ODD drives; the only problem with this was that it used to stop the PC booting, i fixed this via the BIOS, but i don't have problems with autoplay whether it's a blank disc or a movie dvd.

7. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

You guys are gonna love this one. I got my HP all hooked up to his new 1080P 40" LcdTv, both of us were quite impressed. Especially when we saw how many resolution settings it gave us. I've only seen that many settings twice on a monitor. Whats more is, it's a highly outdated vid card. One of Nvidia's earlier cards. It quite likely was stock with the PC. It DID run his Tv at the Max 1920 X 1080. Looked very good. Installed Firefox, Flashplayer, went to Youtube and started watching a video. Half way through the video the PC locked up completely, screen frozen, and audio looping the same tune. Wouldn't respond to any keyboard commands. Unplugged it, and when it tries to boot from the HDD, it just black screens indefinitely, with no Hdd Led activity. It's almost as though the HDD just up and quit. Well...it is 8 yrs old. And it's been sitting over a year in a box in a garage(Well covered). Perhaps its true what they say. HDD's need exercise like people do. We sit in a chair, lay in a bed...wither and die! I still find it most curious though. When it DID boot up. It ran without hitch. Now im gonna slap a new HDD in and see what happens...

Ω

8. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Well...I had to transfer 373Gb from its new IDE drive to one of my satas. It was storing some files for me. Now im not so certain that the board will support a 500Gb hdd. I've been reading up on a certain limitation around that boards infancy. If a boards bios doesn't support 48Bit addressing(only supports 24Bit), then it won't recognize any more than 137Gb. I guess i'll have to see which bios version it's running. The file transfer is almost done. Finally LOL! The A7M266 Asus needs to be running at least 1006. Unfortunately, this computer only supports flash via floppy. I don't think I have a working floppy...

9. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Ho ho! Looks like I may have the 2Gb of DDR ram I was hoping for! Its a little faster than the boards standard(PC2700). But I believe I've ran 2700 before to get by. It came out of the Dell. Which is odd, because I know that IT'S standard is 3200. Perhaps the Asus board (or cpu) will underclock it automatically. I am however pretty certain that the Asus will NOT take 3200. The board beeped at me before for trying to run it.

Well...Looks like it may not be the HDD. I plugged it into one of my USB to IDE converters, and it's working fine without hitch. Guess I'll start disconnecting things til XP starts loading ;)

10. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

omega, xp without any service pack cannot read past 137gig so need 1 with sp to get past 137gig or use a disk managers disk. other options is to do partitions or if have a floppy drive then use a win98 or winme bootdisk to fdisk & format the drive. can convert drive after windows installed to ntfs from fat32.

11. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Looks like it won't be needing the 500Gb drive. And my version of XP has service pack 2 I think. I finally got it to try and boot, but it said the NTFS.SYS was missing or corrupt. So now im trying to reinstall windows (Not a big deal), but the inspection freezes after the option for Automated Recovery. Just a blank Gray bar on the bottom. I'm now considering trying a different stick of ram, to see what happens. Or maybe even running memtest...

12. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

OMG guys!!! This is the worst memtest i've ever seen. Failures up the Wazoo! I've run 2 different versions of memtest now. Both are showing significant failures. Not good! Bought them off ebay a while back. I guess I new this could happen. Plus they sat in a garage through extreme temperature variations. Oh well. Guess I'll try that Pc 2700 now.

Well now! Lesson learned! Apparently "NTFS.SYS is corrupted or missing" could mean that one has a faulty stick or more of ram. I removed both, because my only alternative is the PC 2700. Which appears to be working wonderfully. I suppose though, Faulty Ram can cause a multitude of weird behavior. I simply noted one error of an infinitesimal amount of errors. From now on, Ram will be the first place I look for trouble ;) Would have saved me A LOT of trouble LOL!

LOL! We may just have to deem this the Omega page! I posted more than usual :)

Ω

13. creaky

OM7 - i very much doubt it's due to the temperature in the garage; i lived on the river in a steel narrowboat for a few years; the point is that this meant extreme temperature changes, summer wasn't so bad due to the shaded nature of the design of the windows etc, but winter was extreme. Now all my equipment, blank media and burnt/retail media lived on the floor which was at least a foot under the waterline which meant condensation in the dvd cases at the very least. Computer components have quite varied operating limits, you might find it's the motherboard at fault, or if the memory is actually faulty it shouldn't be due to temperature..

14. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Oman7,
    So now you need a second opinion! You need to run memtest on your ram in a different computer! If it passes then, it's the MB!

Russs

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Faulty RAM (or the controller for said RAM) could cause literally ANY possible error, since change a few bytes round from 1s to 0s and that's all you need... Best of luck with the diagnosis...

16. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Well..since it runs perfectly with a different set of ram, it MUST indeed be the ram then. I've never seen Memtest behave like that LOL! I put the new ram in, then it was 100% back to normal. I guess it CAN run pc 2700! Runs like a dream :D Guess I finally got my answer about the 2Gb limitation too. That Ram ain't going nowhere LOL!

Ω

Last edited: Dec 7, 2009
  17. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Man! 800$ for an SLC SSD. Wish I had the money. But then, as soon as I buy it, I guarantee the next week, the price would probably be cut in half. That is my luck! Hey guys, could I borrow 800$ LOL! No really, if everyone on afterdawn pitches in .25cents, I should have way more then enough :) Im now considering this wonderful SSD over the 30" monitor then i've been strongly considering! By the time I save up for the monitor though, perhaps prices will come down...
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820167014

18. creaky

It's your money but keep in mind there's talk of a double dip recession/hyperinflation on your side of the pond, not that the UK is doing any better yet :).... :)
    Not that i'm being gloomy or anything, then there's the Copenhagen Jamboree as it's being called, that'll cost us all something like $45 trillion.
    On topic that means there's not many pennies spare out there for PC Building :p..

Last edited: Dec 7, 2009
  19. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Unfortunate but true :(

Well I just had my bubble bursted! Netflix viewer (Silverlight) requires SSE instruction on a CPU. I think AthlonXP supports it, but is that really my only option? Is it possible to fake the SSE instruction? But then this could be interesting. If I could get my hands on a mobile Athlon XP, then I would have an unlocked multi :D What would you guys do. Please don't say this is a dying or dead breed. For I believe there to still be use in her yet :) I believe the board will support up to a 2100 Athlon XP. But if there is a... trick ;) to tricking silverlight...

20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.