1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread -3rd Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

MLC's are less reliable though...higher chance of error. I usually go for the best when its available. Unfortunately, the best is super expensive at the moment...

Silverlight is necessary for running Netflix streaming.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2009
  2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

omega, what pc speed is the supposed faulty ram as it is possible might be to fast for that board & so is incompatible with it?

3. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

The Ram that is now faulty, ran for quite some time fine. Its EXACTLY the PC's standard. DDR PC 2100 Cas lat 2.5, 266Mhz. Thankfully, it seems to be running the 2700 Fine. The 2700 is one step up from what I expected it to handle. I've tried 3200 before. The board let me know immediately that it wasn't compatible. It beeped. Im gonna go check on it soon, to see if it underclocked it. I forgot to check that :p

On the silverlight comment. Now im seeing the Microsofts minimum requirements are met. As well as Netflix's requirements. Why silverlight is reporting SSE required is beyond me. Other people have stated the same problem while running Athlon XP wich HAS the SSE instruction set! Very weird. Im probably gonna end up contacting one of them...

I really need to check it's bios too. If it has 1005, it's Athlon XP cpu ready! :D

Huh, another site is saying 1007 bios though...

Ω

4. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

does google maps need flash to work?

5. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

It should have all it needs built-in.
    Google Earth broke Puppy linux last night, the stupid thing is that i'd read a few threads stating it breaks it, before installing it. How stupid am i to not take heed. Earth didn't work anyway but managed to fix Puppy in the end; will stick to Windows for Google Earth in future. Bloody Google :p

6. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

it does work just wondering, because the bing maps beta needs silverlights, and compared to google maps its absurdley fast, and damn good. 3d views of houses from any angle, but not streetview, just from above. very nice.

7. creaky

Well i hope Google Earth adds a tickbox for identifying Carbon Dioxide because Obama's pulled another rabbit out of his hat, he's bypassing Congress again, this time (wait for it, this is a classic even for him).... to declare C02 as a danger to human health, despite the fact that we exhale it with every breath that we make.

And there's me driving a 2.5litre Volvo, it might as well become an offence to drive now. Don't think i'll be doing much PC Building any time soon eh. It's just a shame that we don't get to discuss proper, important topics at AD, it's the masses spending all their time on sports and hobbies that's partly allowed this to happen.
    Ah well, i'm off to spend my (daily) few hours reading the news, i'll leave the PC Building to you lot..

8. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

back to the non important topics :p

creaky (or anyone) have you tried chrome os yet, and if so how does one find it?

9. greensman

greensman Regular member

He's a threat to the American way of life!!

No building atm. Sad really but not enough cash flow to even think about an upgrade let alone an i5 build. :(****

10. creaky

I used Chrome back when it was first released, but didn't like it. I just use Firefox now, i have loads of Addons for multiple (well 2!) clocks, weather etc etc; i don't even use Opera anymore, just Firefox on all machines now, old 2.0.0.20 versions on old machines and the latest version on new machines

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Nah he means the Chrome OS not the browser. It looks interesting, but seems a bit specific for certain portable devices. Not many of them support it without modification.

12. creaky

Oh sorry, am distracted. No, i'm not fussed with anything classed as Cloud computing. I know it's (allegedly) the future of computing and one day we'llhave to use and embrace it, but it's not my cup of tea, in my world my documents etc live on my machines, not out there in Blade Runner land :p

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Haha, likewise :p

14. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

If its not in the cloud, Autobots, Deceptacons, or a T-800 Series fully cybernetic organism will have a harder time finding me. A T800 consists of living tissue over a metal endoskeleton dont you know...

15. creaky

Indeed. One of my favourite lines from the Terminator films ~
    Forget Chrome OS, here's a better one (am watching Michael Caine on the Freecom USB DVB-T stick i just got working) ~

[​IMG]

16. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I'm sure I read about this before, and the cores were all Atom-grade chips, hence the low TDP. Clever engineering, but not that amazing in practice.

18. Red_Maw

Red_Maw Regular member

Anyone have suggestions on good keyboards and mice? I figured it's time to quit using the mouse and keyboard I pulled off a scrap heap but it's had to find good ones worth buying while the junkers still work.

The Razer Lycosa appears to be plagued by technical problems and bad finish (both mirror and non-stick). I liked the Das Keyboard Model S Professional better anyway, except for the loud clickity aspect. The quieter model might have resolved that problem but it still requires two usb ports (can anyone explain why it needs two ports?) which is a large drawback.

Just noticed the "prolonged use of keyboard may result in injury" warning on the bottom of my current keyboard lol.

19. creaky

Here's what i use for most of the day and half of most nights ~

£7.99inc vat - Nexos LED Mini USB Multimedia keyboard (i don't use the Multimedia buttons, just the LED button) (and in linux you activate the LED with 'xset led on' and 'xset led off') ~

[​IMG]

Cheap as chips - Dell Premium mouse ~

[​IMG]

As it happens the (tidgy) keyboard is of very roughly the same scale as the mouse. Both are very comfy for unhealthy amounts of time spent on the PC.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2009
  20. Red_Maw

Red_Maw Regular member

While I've only looked at full sized keyboards so far, one that matches my laptop would make things easier when going between the two. Price is pretty good too. Too bad Nexos products appear to be non-existent in the states (seems to be usual for a product rec by creaky :p). Thanks though; going to look at mini keyboards later tonight.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.