1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread -3rd Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I swear, I have the worst luck on the planet. One of my floppy drives is destroying disks, and the other simply won't recognize them. I suppose 3rd times a charm. My mother has a definite working one, but I hate to remove hers...I guess I can though. Thank the stars the need for a floppy drive is almost gone LOL!

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yeah the HD3870 was a bit of a flop, but it had the advantage of being cheap. The 8800GT may have been 20-30% faster, but it was also 20-30% more expensive.

3. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Bios update was a complete success apparently. However, it was 4th times a charm LOL! It would have been third, but I elected to use a floppy drive I just got today, that was gonna go to the dump. I'll post images of the tower shortly. I found it quite interesting. It looks like a 98 computer! 6 Gb HDD! Can't imagine what I'd use it for :p

I used the Bora Bora 3.34 update from the HP site. Figured I'd have better luck with it. I guess we'll see, when it acknowledges the Athlon 1800 XP...

Ω

4. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

nothing wrong with a percent to price increace like that at all.

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

No, but back then I was still an out-and-out ATI fanboy :p

6. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Something strange. So far so good though. It accepted the processor, however is running at nearly half the speed of 1.4 Thunderbird. Sure isn't using much voltage either LOL! *Joking* So perhaps this bios does not address the athlon XP upgrade. Perhaps an ASUS bios would be in order...Really does depend on the Bios chip though, eh? Perhaps the shop in town can shed some light on the matter. Perhaps HP went to great lengths to insure no OC'ing? It doesn't give me the option to increase multiplier, and the CPU IS capable of it.

Definitely runs cool at this frequency. 31C. I realize it will go up, once proper and benched.

[​IMG]

Here's a pic of the old tower I picked up. Wow! Now this sucker is old! Apparently an old celeron (slot style), not even 6Gb HDD, 64Mb SDram. What a shame CPU's can't be ganged like a Lucid Hydra system, eh sam :D Could you imagine the Home computing potential. It'd be limitless! :) Well ok, there would be the electric bill of course LOL!

[​IMG]

Ω

Last edited: Dec 13, 2009
  7. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I wonder what the advantages are to adding SSE support into silverlight. Because now with the Athlon XP CPU, the software installed. And running at 800Mhz, it actually does OK considering. So I get the feeling the 1.4Ghz thunderbird could run it better, if it were not for that darn SSE instruction. I'm gonna try a couple more things with this PC, then it's going on an ebay auction LOL! Who knows though, my brother just wants it to stream children vids. It does OK at that. So long as no processes interrupt the netflix viewer, it should be golden :) I told task manager to give firefox "Real time" process priority, which seemed to help. It averaged about 60-80% cpu usage.

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

0.006V... lol bugs!

9. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Well this is funny. My phenom II averages 5% cpu useage(Netflix viewer). WAAYYYYY better than Athlon/Athlon XP LOL!

Well...im gonna do it LOL! Im gonna run the risk of bricking the board. Im gonna shoot for the 1008 asus bios, and see what happens. That PC really doesn't owe me anything. It paid for itself several times over. It just pains me to see it die. It seems like I heard once upon a time that bios chips were unique to bios revisions. What I mean is, if you have award, you download award bios's, if you have phoenix you download phoenix bios's. But now im hoping that's not true, and that they're like HDD's in that I can install whatever OS on it that the board is capable of running. Within reason of course ;) If asus support site says 1006 bios for Athlon XP, then darnit im gonna do it! However im gonna shoot for the newest bios which is 1008 I believe.

10. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

you can crossover from 1 manufacturer to another. the problem is the board itself in that it has to be same for both manufacturer's of the bios.

11. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I'm reading some forums on the asus support site, and finding that Thoroughbred core may not be fully supported. Palamino is. Apparently there are a few different revisions of Athlon XP. Sounds like I may have goofed LOL! Looks like I may be buying a new CPU. Which could be fine. I'd get a higher operating frequency. I only spent 16$ on the thoroughbred.

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yes, Palomino is version 1, Thoroughbred is version 2, Barton is version 3. Boards that support a maximum of 1800+ typically mean Palomino only. Thoroughbred boards will usually support up to around 2400+.

13. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

2100 palamino appears to be the max. However some people have ran more. Someone posted a site to accomplishing it. Though the 2100 may run pretty warm according to someone.

Looks like ebay has several palamino cores. Darn it! Had I gone with that first it would have been cheaper. Though I wouldn't have learned yet another lesson ;)
    Well...16$ lesson. No biggie.

I'll wait on the bios update, to see how 3.34 bora bora does with it.

Ω

Last edited: Dec 13, 2009
  14. Jesus32

Jesus32 Member

Got a new job, want to build my own comp.

Price Range: 1500-1800AUS (1400-1650USD)

What I want out of it: I'm a gamer, but I also fix people's computers on the side. One HDD will be games, other will be purely work software etc.

Can you also, tell me why I should buy X motherboard or X graphics card. I'm still new at this, and I wanna learn everything I can.

15. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I guess I was blinded by the idea of wanting to Over clock. According to what I've been reading, Palomino sounds like a pretty big step from Thunderbird. Apparently it consumes 20% less power, runs cooler, and performs 10% better at the same clock speed. So if I go for the max which is the 2100 (1733Mhz) I shouldn't be running any hotter if at all. The thunderbird averaged 50-60C at full load, and the heatsink had quite a bit of dust in it LOL!

It looks like Palomino is actually a smarter choice than Thunderbird if you ask me :)

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Thoroughbred not Thunderbird. Thoroughbred was the second version of the Athlon XP. Thunderbird was the Athlon K7, before the Athlon XP came out. The Thunderbird was the replacement for the K6-2 and K6-3.

17. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I stated correctly :p The board (PC) came with thunderbird. I think upgrading to a faster Palomino is a smarter choice than running thunderbird. Thoroughbred is out of the question. It's not supported apparently...

I just bought 2100 Palomino :D

Last edited: Dec 14, 2009
  18. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

A bit of a fan of my Thoroughbred 2200+ M. Runs stupidly cool in a tiny laptop and actually quite zippy. Replaced a dying 1900+ with a slightly crushed core :S

Problem was they used thick copper thermal tape to cool it and it was a might TOO thick. Pulled off the cooler and lo and behold, the core has a hairline crack in it. Put the cooler back on, and sure enough removing it shifted the parts and it wouldn't boot. Small miracle I had it running at all. Got the laptop for free, threw in an old chip lying around, and voila, new laptop. I got it broken and it had barely been used so it even has a decent battery in it :D

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

20. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

quick question. does anyone here have or know of anyone with the GA-EP45-UD3P mobo? the guy here at work that got his and we thought was bad. well it was just a memory problem not enough volts on the ram to fire it up. used 1 stick of adata mem to get it to boot into bios and changed the volts for the mem to 2.1v instead of 1.8v all is fine now. but here is my question. he is stating he has everythign in auto and i mean everything and has it OC'd to 3.9ghz and has passed 10 passes of IBT and a burnin test on everest.. which i dont put any stock into everest burnin testing. i just dont beleive 1. it is running 3.9ghz or 2. its not in auto. i know that is a damn good board to OC the Q9550 but in auto and running damn near 4.0 no way...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.