1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread -3rd Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Red_Maw

Red_Maw Regular member

I'm hoping you didn't pay for it lol.

How do you have your networked drives setup, win7 saved the password for mine just fine.

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Mapped network drives, that's about it really...

3. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sam,
    I'm dead serious about it! I think they owe that much to the "Blue Screen of Death" Club. I never though I would live to see an OS with as many BOSDs as Windows ME, after experiencing so many of them while repairing computers with Windows ME on them, I was wrong! They should at least give Vista purchasers, some sort of trade in at a decent price. After all, people did not get what they expected, paid for, or were promised with Vista! They paid good money for Vista and now they are expected to pay all over again for Win 7. That's just not right! Had Vista worked the way it was supposed to, and XP not been the better and faster OS for so lomg, maybe there would have been no need for Win 7 at all. You can bet your boots that if Windows had any serious competition, it might be a different story, entirely.

Best Regards,
    Russ

4. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

if they did their stock would plummet. plus not ever vista user is mad at vista.

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

In terms of BSODs per month, I've had fewer with Win7/Vista than I did with XP, even considering the fact that my X38-DS4 BSOD'ed pretty much every hour with two cards installed.
    Vista really performs similarly to Win7 in terms of stability. It has lots of bugs, but bluescreens, not that I've seen.
    Yes, people didn't like Vista, but not liking something sadly isn't grounds to give people a free new operating system that would normally cost £100+. There certainly weren't sufficiently many problems with Vista for me to warrant giving me the new OS for free. It's not Microsoft being typical evil Microsoft, it's just sense. Then apply the 'Microsoft -> evil' mentality on top and you can definitely see why they don't do it.

6. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

I never have BSOD's, in Win7 or XP. The locking up problem has gone away on the Quad, it was down to a corrupted Windows file somewhere, the 'reinstall of XP over the top of the existing installation' worked a treat, have down a few hours of AutoGK and DVD Rebuilder over the last couple of days, so i'm a happy Quad bunny again.

Another way of testing stability, a bit of Seti@home ~

[​IMG]

And for completeness i have Seti running on the main Puppy linux machine, seems a waste not to, as this machine is on all day every day anyway ~

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 16, 2009
  7. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

pre sp2 xp led to many a BSOD with simple program installs. didnt have that problem with vista or win7. yet to see a bsod with win7 but i did have bsods in vista, though they were due to overclocking failure.

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I do have BSODs I can't explain, but all windows versions have done that over the course of time, they're quite rare, maybe 5 or 6 a year, so they're not too much of an issue. I expect I may see some BSODs when overclock testing the i5 setup next term, but I don't usually see many.

9. Red_Maw

Red_Maw Regular member

sam: After giving it some thought my setup was more of like a windows share as you can't (afaik, and wouldn't want to anyway) share the entire main hdd with linux. Given your experience with win7 I think I'll keep it this way too.

---

To my recollection I've never had a BSOD on XP that wasn't caused by OCing or failing hardware. So far win7 is pretty much the same if you exclude the RC. Vista was buggy and probably had 1-3 BSOD's in the short time I used it and easily qualifies as worst "modern" OS I've ever used (never used ME :p).

I bought my copy of win7 professional, before I knew about MSDNAA, for 100$ which was reasonable imo. Haven't checked but I'm pretty sure the price has doubled so I would concur with anyone who thinks it's overpriced now. To ease the pain of vista owners I thought that those who purchased vista in 2009 qualified for a free upgrade to win7, so it'd be free to some vista owners.

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Vista was only really bad in the early days though, from its release in 2007 through to maybe mid-late 2008. I'd still place it below most of the other OSes I've used, but it's not really as terrible as a lot of people go on about.

11. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I've read that most people with good hardware can run vista fine. So essentially, it was more or less a resource hog. My buddy at work has been running his version since its infancy, and hasn't reported any troubles. I asked him a few times. But the type of guy he is...he mainly just browses the web. Kind of funny really. He went through HP to get his PC. I told him he paid too much. ;) I have respect for HP, but it's a fact. A builder can build better cheaper.

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Now that depends on the budget. A $1000 gaming PC, no contest. A $300 workstation, you'd be surprised.

13. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Yah, but i'm saying people who want a GOOD computer, that's gonna keep up for a few years. Not some e-machine that's gonna fry in under a year :p

14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Low price does not necessarily mean low quality. For a PC on that budget I trust HP and Dell above anything else, prebuilts included, since to match the prices you have to resort to ebay stuff.

15. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I guess it does depend on who you are. If someone asks my opinion, i'll tell them they can get a DECENT computer for cheap, but I can build better for not that much more...

Not that much more = 3-400$

16. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Never had a BSOD with Win 7 but Vista was very OC sensitive.

17. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sam,
    I agree with you, completely. I've done a number of upgrades on HP Slimlines, and they are impressive performers for the money. Same thing goes for Dells, which seem to be even quieter. Tough to beat for average needs! About the only complaint would be the roar the Slimlines make when you first switch them on. The fans run at full chat, for about 5 seconds. Scared the hell out of my cat who was sleeping on top of it at the time!:)

Russ

18. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

Much like the list of things to do to fine tune Win7 for a SSD
    http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=63273

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

To an OCZ SSD, more specifically.

20. Red_Maw

Red_Maw Regular member

nvm lol