1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread -3rd Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

LOL! I read that too! Thanks for reminding me though. I planned on re-seating the CPU today :)

If that is the problem, there's something going on here then. Because the CPU was sitting perfectly level and flush. Definitely checking it though.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2009
  2. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Yes. The cpu was fine. Or at least im pretty sure. I checked both sticks of ram separately. Both the VGA and DVI port. The PSU has been running in another computer flawlessly, and is highly unlikely to be the culprit. The CPU is supposedly supported, so that can't be it. No error beeps. And the odds of getting two bad ram sticks aren't too good. Although there is the possibility that these particular Ram modules are not currently supported. Also unlikely. Unfortunately, given they're DDR3, I have no other means to test them. At least I still have time with newegg to send the board back. I'm sure Gigabyte would love to have 2 RMA's LOL! Looks like I'll have to 2nd day the replacement, If I want her up and running by Wednesday...

You should see it sam. It's a thing of beauty. 4 fans, and it's barely audible :D It's so quiet, it's almost scary LOL!

3. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Looks like i'll be in the market for another board. If it were mine, I'd probably buy the MSI. I've had a very decent track record with them. One board has a faulty southbridge. The other is incredible(My secondary). The biostar is cheap, but maxes out at 8Gb. The Asus has a 3Yr warranty(very good). I think im leaning toward the Asus. Thoughts???
    Product comparison

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Why not just replace the Gigabyte with the same product? To say no product ever has any DOAs is unrealistic...

5. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Two gigabyte boards in a row have screwed with my mood LOL! I should probably be blaming newegg though. The Mainboards box was sitting on top of the packing foam. So nothing was protecting it except the box. Neweggs good at that i've noticed...

6. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Do you think that newegg sets aside definite working boards for cases like this? What I mean is, if I ask for a replacement, do they send me a board they believe to be 100% working? Cause I guess I just might give them one more shot. But if they foul up again...

7. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Give them a chance. I have been using newegg for a few years now and have spent quite a bit and they have always done me right :)

Newegg is easily the best place in the US to get computer parts. Blame your shipping service for damaged parts. I usually have to burrow my way through packing peanuts to find my stuff. Use UPS too. I personally have had FedEx drivers chuck stuff onto my front lawn. A hard drive which I was PO'd about, and some case fans which still worked fine... I know it differs from driver to driver nobody is guaranteed but WTF. I like UPS better.

8. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

Question is have you checked your volts on the memory Auto Don't work all the time.lol manual crank those jokers up they run 2.0v...I hate that G.Skill drop there volt setting down as low as 1.5v on ddr3 or you may have to trade them in for some 1066. I believe there not getting enough power best of luck Omega

that funny my UD3P came in a Box full Foam peanuts it was mid way down in the box also only things.I recieve from the egg raped in air bags are my Burners

this what UD3P came in

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 20, 2009
  9. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Does newegg offer any support on Sundays? I was thinking about getting the ball rolling now, so I can get the new board shipped out tomorrow 2nd day air.

I don't have to send EVERYTHING that was in the shipping box back do I? I read that somewhere before.

10. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Thing is, I can't get into the bios to change things like that. And since I've got no spare DDR3 around, I can't check. If it is the ram, I won't know til I get the replacement board.

I have no lawn for them to chuck boxes at :p They throw packages, they hit concrete LOL!

11. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

Nope Closed,There not giving out Overtime to work on the weekends.LOL...I would think they would want everything,Remember your Not sending back to Gigabyte them self your sending to a whole sale warehouse.lol Just send the board back circle the reciept on the item your sending and get a rma via chat in the morning from the egg explain your reason why your sending it back and they will take it from there.they work pretty fast to e-mail a rma out believe.I've been thru it b4 with Burners rma's

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 20, 2009
  12. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I've been reading about their RMA process. It looks like only if a Combo/Bundled Deal, is when they want everything back. When I select RMA, I click on an Invoice then I have the option of Which item in the order. I guess we'll see tomorrow. I'm not gonna start it til tomorrow now. I need to make sure they 2nd Day the replacement. Good thing I have considerably extra funds in my account! ;) Just in case they wanna charge me for sending another tomorrow.

13. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

2nd day gonna cost you(That's in the Air) just go on the chat section of newegg and get your rma they e-mail to you postage paid..Good Luck with next Board for Mom:)

14. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I got it all taken apart. Such a shame. Ah well. I can wait two more days :( Wish I had some spare DDR3 laying around. Probably not the problem though eh. If Ram were the problem, wouldn't it beep at me.

Are they not gonna charge for a second board? That is until they receive the first one back? Or do they simply trust that I'll follow through and send the DOA back.

15. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

omega, try clearing the cmos as have found that to work sometimes to kickstart a stubborn system.

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Bad RAM doesn't always cause beeps. I've found faulty RAM put a system in a silent no-POST before.

17. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I did try clearing the CMOS. Unfortunately, no change. The odds of having 2 bad ram modules are not good. In fact, I would imagine one ALMOST has better odds of being struck by lightning. But then, who knows. Perhaps they were both produced on a bad day in the factory...

I'm gonna gamble, and hope that the new board is ok with the modules. But Will makes an interesting point about the voltage. Wish I had another set of DDR3 :( Perhaps Newegg (Online Chat) can shed some light on the subject. Perhaps they can recommend some DEFINITE compatible ram.

18. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

@Omega

you gonna run 32 or 64 bit OS?

19. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I run 64, my mother is also gonna run 64. Reason being, is because windows 7 seems to be able to run 32bit applications without trouble. So why NOT go for 64. Besides, I got her 4 Gb of ram, and I want it to use all of it. I found in my testing that 4Gb is my recommended minimum. Though it'll run with less. I use 8Gb myself. And I have used well over half on numerous occasions :) I want her to be set for a long time...

I wonder what her new board, with Athlon II Propus would think of DDR2 1066 Ram? Given it requires DDR3 standard, it'd probably beep at me. If it's even capable of that...

20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

32s are fine, it's the 16s you can't run...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.