1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread -3rd Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

16Bit? What would be 16bit that would actually bother someone? I haven't had one install go sour with the RC edition. Everything has ran relatively well.

Sam, what are your thoughts on DDR2 memory on a DDR3 controller? What I mean is, would it work just for a while to set the voltage higher? Gonna run some googles right now also :)

2. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

@omega

if you was set on getting AM3 socket only why did'nt you choose a MA790 with a (rebate) for a few dollars more than a MA785

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128378

DDR2 Would'en fit slots are different in the Dimm rails set for DDR3 only...I don't think gigabyte made amd board with ddr2 & ddr3 only 1...I seen is my old intel p35c and the p45c model

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

DDR2 isn't DDR3. It won't work, as simple as that I'm afraid. If no DDR2 slots, no memory. I believe the notch spacing is also different to stop this from being tried.

4. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

1. Because they weren't MY dollars LOL!
    2. Thats an ATX board. I figured a µATX would run at least a little cooler.
    This computer is not for me. I go all out myself :) I told my mother I would keep it as cheap as possible, while maintaining the best Price to performance ratio. I did kind of jump into it a little too fast though...I could have thought things through at least one more time :p

5. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

that's understandable keep it cheap as possible on the other person budget.lol and it will run cool at stock setting also all about the ddr2 and ddr3 as you can see as a example here below of not lining up...I'm running 1066 2x2 compared to the one you picked the slots are totally different

[​IMG]

6. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Well...you beat me to it LOL! I just took a pic of my DDR2 800 next to my mothers DDR3 10600, which shows very similar to what you have there. Thanks for saving me the trouble :) I wouldn't have forced them into the motherboard anyway. I always make sure im lining up perfectly before I push. I would have noticed the problem ;)

7. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

no problem it was on my mind to do this anyway.lol here's another thing to look at for that board and it memory standards by G.Skill
    it's called the ram configurator just something to look at by G.Skill

http://www.gskill.com/configurator2.php?pid=2&search2=Z2lnYWJ5dGU=&model=941

http://www.gskill.com/products.php?index=95

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 20, 2009
  8. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Please correct me if my logic is flawed, but am I right in assuming that ALL DDR3 modules run at a lesser voltage? Part of the updated technology. Smaller technology = Lower voltage (nm). If thats right, then its DDR3 ports, as well as the bios are ready for this. So the default voltage will be LESS than that of a DDR2 board. Surely the default is not above 1.5V? Surely my luck is not that bad :)

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Typical for i5/i7 DDR3 is 1.65V. Typical for other DDR3 is something like 1.8V I think.

10. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

So I suppose you're suggesting that her g-skill may not be getting enough voltage. Wonderful. But if the auto truly is auto, then wouldn't it AUTO adjust :p Or is AUTO not that good...

11. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Will,
    Yes I had to remove that vent. I put a Silverstone FM-83 fan in it as an exhaust fan, set to about 1200-1300 rpm. I have the stock 32cfm CM fan as an exhaust, right below the Silverstone. This deals with heat cast off by the CPU cooler and the video card. It also helps keeps the dust down, quite a bit.

I'm going to have a word with Cooler Master tomorrow. The Sata power cables are barely long enough to reach, and I mean just barely. Seems to me since it's identical to the 500w one in every way, the wires need to be a couple of inches longer, in order to reach the bottom drive bay.

Happy Holidays,
    Russ

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I think there'd be quite a good niche market for selling PSUs with the focus on lots of S-ATA power connectors, instead of molexes and PCI express connectors for graphics. Who needs 9 molexes these days?

13. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

omegaman7,
    Oman7,
    The Athlon II x2 620 & 630 have DDR2 and DDR3 memory controllers built into them. You don't need an AM3 motherboard. My MA790X-UD4P will run AM2, AM2+ and AM3 chips with DDR2 memory, as well as with DDR3 memory on an AM3 board. My last two CPUs have been AM3 CPUs, both on AM2+ boards.

Happy Holidays,
    Russ

14. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I suppose that's true russ, assuming the board supports the form factor. See above for me and Will's conversation.

15. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Yep same for me I have an AM2+ board and DDR2 with an AM3 CPU. And not only that but my board is widely considered to be one of the better ones for Phenom II in general.

16. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Estuansis, Does your board take either or? What i mean is, 2 ports for DDR2, and 2 ports for DDR3. Just curious. Looks like my mothers is exclusively DDR3, AM3, 3, 3, 3 LOL!

17. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Nope mine is actually full DDR2. All 4 slots. And honestly the performance difference is so small I cba to even think about an upgrade. Especially for the average user DDR3 offers literally zero benefit. Only really the territory of mad scientist benchers and new-tech junkies.

Seems like quite a price to pay for a mother's PC. My mom is still on a 2.13GHz C2D laptop with 3GB of RAM and she doesn't do much more than look at news, play pogo games, and use email. My dad will play a few games if he gets in the mood but mostly Medieval II and Grid both of which the semi-onboard 8400GS can handle quite decently.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2009
  18. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Thanks. Just looked at DFI's site as well.

The reason I gave her up to date stuff, is because I want her system to be semi-future proof. At least last her another 3-5 years. I think i've done that considering what she does with her computer. And given the upgrade to windows 7, I wanted her to have VERY good hardware :) I bought a lot of it myself too. I love my mother :) I bought her the 24" monitor, the WD5000AAKS, A netgear switch, the Corsair 400W PSU. I think she'll be rock solid when I get a working mobo... I can't wait to hear the comments from the chatter on newegg about the Ram. I realize they're not suppose to offer that kind of troubleshooting, but perhaps I can get some kind of tidbit from them. As well as a little more googling on my end ;)

19. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Ha ha! Dual monitors once again. Man I love running a PC this way. I was running Photoshop a moment ago, and had multiple images open on one screen, dragging, copying, etc. Loving it. Im really gonna miss this monitor when it goes away LOL! THAT'S the way a PC and Photoshop are MEANT to run :D Definitely gonna be pumped about getting another for myself now. Or perhaps a 40" LCD Tv. I can think of some ways I'd like to run one ;) Could you imagine a 40" LCD with more resolution then a 2560 X 1600 Monitor? I stagger at the thought...

20. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

I don't bother with dual monitors, instead i have 6 workspaces that can be easily swapped thru with the mouse wheel; example ~ http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_jump.cfm/821385/4969325 - that's not 4 workspaces running at the same time but it could be. I don't need more monitors running at once but in my line of work it is very handy to have (for instance) dozens of command line sessions open and the ability to swap thru workspaces works just the same as if i have 6 monitors.
    I tend to split programs across the 6 workspaces, ie ~
    1. Firefox
    2. Seamonkey (browser) (i keep so many tabs open that it's nice to have another browser open just at my inbox so it's an easy way to see if i have new mail)
    3. Seti@home
    4. command line sessions
    5. more command line sessions
    6. Amsn, Aqualung music player

When i bought all the Dell Optiplex 745's they all had 2GB (2x1GB sticks) so i left 2GB in each of my folks' machines and made both of mine 4GB. Even though i only use 32-bit OSes i find i don't ever use much over 1GB of RAM and my folks certainly don't. My and their machines are plenty future proof, in fact my folks would still be happily using P3 800MHz machines now f i hadn't bought them the Dell's :)

Last edited: Dec 21, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.