The Official PC building thread -3rd Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

I have a question about a laptop. I have a Dell M1530 with this configuration:
    http://support.dell.com/support/top...ils?c=us&cs=2684&l=en&s=pub&~tab=2&~ck=anavml

The screen is physically broken, the top was closed with a small toy still inside it and the screen broke. The AC adapter/charger needs to be replaced as well. He doesn't have the remote for the media player and it's exactly 2 years old. I would like to buy this from him, but I don't think in it's present condition that it's worth very much. If anyone has an idea of what a fair price would be to offer, please let me know.

EDIT= Wrong link!

Happy Holidays,
    Russ

Last edited: Dec 24, 2009
  2. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Russ, I think i've posted this before, but here goes again. I think it's possible that the speed may be dropping. Where i've seen upwards of 16, now it's averaging around 12-13.5! 13.5 if i'm lucky. For those unfamiliar, this is a CCE process window. My athlon 5200 averages 5-6 consistently. using roughly 75% of its dual core potential. And since the Phenom is significantly OC'd beyond the 5200's abilities, I think it should be performing a bit better. I guess we'll see when I get the new board. The phenom II averages about 50-60% cpu useage.

Russ, your Athlon Propus averages what! LOL!
    [​IMG]

3. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

4. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Oman7,
    The speed goes up and down, I guess it depends on the disk structure, and whether it's CLV or CAV. The speed has been as high as the mid 22s, and as low as the mid 10s. What I was questioning with Will, at the time, is the same thing I question with your example, the average bit rate!

[​IMG]

Wills were in the mid 2s, while yours is in the low 4s. Mine are consistently in the mid 6s. I guess it depends on the type of encryption used for the copy protection.

This pic was a mind blower for me. 17 minutes total (actually 17:26) I was completely mesmerized by the speed that the pass indicator bars flew by, considering that the speed was in the mid 22s! It looked like a videotape of the process with the 2x button pushed. Just zip, zip, zip! Not a huge movie, for sure, but still very fast! I honestly didn't expect it to play or even complete the burn, but it did! Good thing I didn't abort it like I thought about it. I thought there was something wrong, but the files in the output folder played and it burned without any problems.

[​IMG]

The encode process took 12 minutes!

[​IMG]

It still impresses the hell out of me! I go back to the days of 3 hour encodes, so under 30 minutes, makes me one happy camper!

Happy Holidays,
    Russ

5. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Russ, I think your confused. CLV and CAV are burning strategies for burning discs. And the high 6 and 7s your talking about are the video bitrates. With numbers like that, you don't require much compression. If you see 2s 3s and 4s they need a bit of compression. Anything upwards of that, should be indistinguishable from the original. The speed im talking about is the processors speed to encode the video. I guess mine goes faster where more compression is needed. Perhaps some kind of power saver is turned on in my bios eh?

Last edited: Dec 25, 2009
  6. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Oman7,
    I guess that explains the 2s then, with a higher speed. Here's the other end of that spectrum with low bit rates and higher speeds. This is The Chronicles of Narnia, Prince Caspian.

[​IMG]

Again, not too shabby for a $112 Quad core! Oh, I guess that 13.53 gains me some respect, eh? ROFL!!

Happy Holidays,
    Russ

7. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I hope that was just a test buddy LOL! You don't usually keep the french and spanish audio tracks do you? Sorry about off topic. I don't keep the commentary either. Really does depend on how good a movie is though...

8. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Oman7,
    I live in a predominantly Spanish neighborhood! That's why I keep those tracks! I've edited my last post! He He!! my Lady friend speaks French as her native tongue, as does her family!

Happy Holidays,
    Russ

9. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Well...it certainly has MY respect. But just wait. This phenom is gonna scream in its new board :p Im gonna pull out all the stops to see just whats dragging it down!

10. FredBun

FredBun Active member

Merry Christmas

11. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

Merry Christmas Fred and all; have just finished an amazing dinner, the Southern Comfort is just kicking in and a bottle of wine is now emptying nicely :)

12. FredBun

FredBun Active member

LOL, I kinda figured that, I called my Uncle in the UK this morning to wish all of them a Merry Christmas, it was 8 in the morning here and I think around 1pm over there, they were all smashed, everyone I talked to was re-peating & re-peating and they had that drawl or slur whichever you wanna call it, man it was funny, I'm glad the old Unc & his friends can still have a good time, more power to them.

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Well we've finished christmas dinner and we're not drunk... :p

14. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

[​IMG]

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year To Everyone

Russ

15. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Haha Same to you Russ.

Was hilariously drunk last night. Bit hungover this morning but it's all good. Cheers guys XD

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Indeed, hope everyone has a great time, and that the next year is better than this one (It wouldn't be that hard for me!)

17. redice

redice Regular member

Merry Christmas to all

18. FredBun

FredBun Active member

quote, Well we've finished christmas dinner and we're not drunk... :p

Oh thats to bad Sammy, I offer you my condolences lol.

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Perfectly fine with me, more room for confectionary :)

20. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

good morning and merry x-mas to afterdawn! May your day bring you all the happiness you hoped for and deserve :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.