1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread -3rd Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

it is afternoon not morning. merry christmas.

2. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

There is always morning, there is always evening in the world :p But you're right. It was noon here when I said that :p Morning to me though...

3. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Well...just tried my new Bd-Rom drive. Impressed, but somewhat unimpressed as well. Perhaps it's simply the "Powerdvd 8" that was the problem. I felt it could have been a little sharper. Don't get me wrong. It was WAY Better than dvd! And who knows, my monitor isn't the best one can buy either.

The iHES108-29 is a pretty quiet drive for the most part. The phenom II deneb 940 handled Powerdvd 8 at 5-8% peak, while playing Star Trek 2009. Windows Aero automatically disabled. I imagine it was for reasons that vista could not handle. Or maybe due to hardware not quite being good enough at the time. So far, I do not regret the 109$ purchase of the drive. The video is sharp enough for me, to justify making the switch eventually. Good movies I will rent to enjoy. However, dvd's are generally cheaper still, so I'll not be buying them still for at least several months.

I just bought my mother a samsung bd-p1590. I still need to get her an HDMI cable. I refused to pay the overprice, that local stores were charging. Which is pretty easy to do, considering Neweggs wonderful comparative pricing :) It also has Netflix streaming capabilities. It was 60$ off, so it caught my attention :D Unfortunately wasn't priced high enough for the extended warranty plan :( Which is complete BS since its original price WAS!

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Aero disabled because PowerDVD uses your graphics card, hence the low CPU usage.

5. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Well that's good then. Good to see a GPU doing what it's suppose to do! :) Quite irritating to see a processor busting butt on a video, when a GPU has certain advantages over CPU's. Or so i've read :p

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Many advantages. The clue is coding software that uses them!

7. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Wow my sister's boyfriend just proposed last night. Huge rock too :p

I use MPC but with Dx9 rendering turned on. Otherwise it's processor dependent. That may also explain why I was easily able to do 2 good quality 1080p files at once on my 5000+. Mind you it was also at 3.2GHz.

8. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Estuansis,
    I'm running Dx10. What does that do?

Happy Holidays.
    Russ

9. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

The same thing I would guess. Remember just because Dx10 is installed doesn't mean you are using it. If something is Dx9 it uses Dx9.

10. greensman

greensman Regular member

Hey guys... looking at a 23"-24" monitor to add to my viewing pleasure. ;) Playing moving monitors so the OLD man gets the newest and bestest. ;)

Give ye ideas if you would please... I'm scoping Dell, Samsung, and HP atm... I'm in for other ideas but I"m mostly using this for simple computer stuff, some games, and some video watching. ;)

tia....

11. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

congratz to jeff, his sister and family :)

12. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

I was asking what the conditions would be using it if the game or application was Dx10. Would it be more GPU use and less CPU like using Dx9?

Russ

13. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

GM, This here's my favorite in that size range!
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236052

An excellent monitor, for a reasonable price. For your purposes, it's about perfect!

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year,
    Russ

14. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

LOL russ! Im using that one in a Dual monitor setup. Its B-E-A-UUUUTIFUL! LOL! I picked it up for 179 about a month ago. Though it's for my mother. I'm gonna miss it when it goes to her :(

I read that MPC can only run BD's with certain filters installed. And of course, A certain Redfox needs to be running in the background ;)
    http://stream-recorder.com/forum/play-blu-ray-discs-media-player-classic-t4991.html

Sam, then they need to start coding for GPU's. Its a piece of cake LOL! ;)

Last edited: Dec 25, 2009
  15. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

@ Russ,

Yes Dx10 has the same effect as Dx9, Using DX Rendering in general puts the video card to work which reduces processor load.

16. greensman

greensman Regular member

Thanks ya old coot. :) I did have that one on the radar but wasn't sure about quality. ;)

17. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

I was looking through the reviews at newegg, and it seems to be a big seller, with few complaints. To maintain 5 eggs with almost 900 reviews, is pretty good. 77% rated it excellent, and 15% rated it good. That's 92% in the top two catagories! I've also used one for a few days while I was waiting for a part to do a Customer build with. I like the Asus 21.6" better because of the smaller size for my desktop, but if you are used to a screen larger than 20", it shouldn't be a problem. For games a 24" is fine but for everyday desktop for me, it's to big and overwhelming. Same fine picture though! I know Will has one of the two I like! LOL!!

Happy Holidays,
    Russ

18. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

One thing I like about it for sure, is the ability to change amongst the inputs. Much like an HDTV! Very useful if you have more than one tower :) Eliminates the need for a splitter.

19. ChrisC586

ChrisC586 Regular member

I've had the ASUS MK241H for about a year now. I consider it the next best thing to sliced bread! Notta one complaint for movies surfing etc.By the way all Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. Chris

20. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

I've had the 21.5" version of that for about a year and no complaints.
    Mztter of fact Russ reccommended that back when the prices of mine were at the price of that 23.6".
    Widescreen makes taking online exams a snap, can have 2 full size windows open in the same monitor. I had one side on my exam and the other side searching references for the right answers if it didnt come straight to mind...Plus its perfect resolution for watching HD rips.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.