1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread -3rd Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

You need nothing aside from standard SATA interface. Normally you wouldn't want to use an SATA to IDE interface like BIgWill shown because SSD's run faster than IDE AND SATA1 I/O specs. You need SATA2 for full speed.
    That and a 2.5" to 3.5" dock to mount in a standard case http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0223240
    Some people don't worry about mounting since no moving parts or use velrco and slap it anywhere but I used the mount.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2009
  2. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Deadrum33 and Bigwill68,
    All three of those are IDE. What would be the point on getting a fast SSD, and then crippling it with an IDE interface, or worse yet USB? I think I found what I need in this adapter! Sata to Sata!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ..._re=2.5_to_3.5_adapter-_-12-200-176-_-Product

Looks to me like it would be my best choice for performance!

Happy Holidays,
    Russ

3. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Sam, my Samsung, and my acer monitor were not capable of switching between Vga to Dvi. This is my monitor. I see they're still asking a pretty penny for it LOL!
    SAMSUNG 2433BW
    Note that the ASUS monitor we've been talking about, also lists the ability on their site. They don't list the ability on my Samsung. I've looked on their site as well as my monitor. Unfortunate, but not a deal breaker ;)

4. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

That link was an example, and had the SATA-IDE adapter too close to the physical mount...its just a bad picture i think. Adapter+mount wasnt connected when I bought mine and my last edit before your post RUSS did say you don't want to use the adapter...just toss it in a box for later and only use the physical mount with your standard SATA interface.

5. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Deadrum33,
    SSDs will not work with my sata interface without the adapter shown here!
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...re=2.5_to_3.5_adapter-_-12-200-176-_-Product.

That's why, if I get one, it will be like the one above. The interface on the drive is not like a 3.5 Sata HDD. The cables will not work without the adapter!

Best Regards,
    Russ

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

All that StarTech adapter does is make an SSD fit in the case, it will still work without it, there just won't be anywhere to put it. There's no change in the wiring.

Anyway guys, I'm off for a week, see you after new year's!
    happy new year etc :)

7. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sam,
    This is a standard Sata adapter.

[​IMG]

They also show this adapter.

[​IMG]

Here's the drive interface, on the back of the drive

[​IMG]

Not the greatest pictures, but you can clearly see that there are two different interfaces, and the adapter plug shown in the middle picture only works for this type of interface, while the standard Sata plug doesn't fit! They are using the Laptop interface for sata drives on this one. I just replaced my first one about a week ago. First time I ever saw one!

Best Regards,
    Russ

8. FredBun

FredBun Active member

Have a good vacation Sammy, Happy New Year.

9. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Already said goodbye to Sam on MSN but have a good one dude.

Just did a repair to my Creative Fatal1ty headset. Loose connection inside the jack. Went to Radio Shack yesterday and picked up a new gold-plated jack with the wire ends on it to facilitate ease. Works like new :p

10. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

I don't understand why you keep focusing on the electrical&data interfaces, it says right on the picture SATAII.
    I have an extra SATA power connection attached from my PSU and the data ribbon goes straight from the SSD to an extra header on my mobo.
    As simple as a normal SATA HDD. Use the bracket to mount the SSD to a 3.5 bay and toss away those power&data adapters.

11. greensman

greensman Regular member

YEAH!! It's party time now... Sammy is gone now the mice can play.... hehehe. :p Have a great holiday Sammy... be careful and play nice. :D

12. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Deadrum,
    There are at least 2 different physical interfaces, that's why!

[​IMG]

Both of these drives are internal Sata II MCL drives. It's very obvious that your regular Sata cables won't work on the OCZ, while they will work for the PQI (shown above) which has a standard Sata II interface. Compare the two for yourself. You can't plug a standard power or data cable into the OCZ! You have to use this adapter I showed before for it to work!

This is a standard Sata II Power plug needed for the PQI with a Standard Sata II interface. It won't fit the OCZ

[​IMG]

They are not interchangable!

Best Regards,
    Russ

13. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

Its so obvious it won't work that I've been running it for 6 months...
    If it doesn't work please explain how it's been run at its full potential this long.
    Look at both drives from the angle of your second picture of the non OCZ drive. If you flip your top picture over so that the jumper pins are on the same side as the usb interface of your second picture everything lines up. Then again what do I know I haven't been doing things the way I say I have and I'm lying cause I'm an OCZ rep trying to drum up business.

14. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

russ the connector on the OCZ is STANDARD connector for ANY sata II data and power cable.

its just upside down compared to the second picture

15. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

russ, it appears both can use the same cables just by looking at the pictures & my sata cable.

16. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Deadrum,
    Honestly, I never even considered that you might be lying or an OCZ rep! LOL!! Is your drive like the PQI or the OCZ? Did you get the data cable with the drive?

As near as I can see there are three different interfaces for these drives, all claiming to be internal 2.5" Sata II drives. Some use the same type of edge connector plug as the laptop Sata's, some use the standard connections like the PQI and the others are like the OCZ. All I'm trying to do is figure out what I need to use one!

I reduced the OCZ pic to the exact size and flipped over the pic and there is no way the power or data cables will fit the OCZ. I'm sitting here with both a Data cable and a Power cable in my hand, and there's no way either one can fit! The L has to be open because the plug has no opening in it to correspond with the L if it's enclosed like it is on the OCZ. The L has to fit inside the plug, and there's no open L to fit the plugs over like there is on the PQI's standard Sata interface!

I'm not trying to give anybody a hard time here! Just trying to understand what I will need if I even decide to buy one. At this point, it's far too much hassle to even consider for a measly 30GB drive! I'll wait!

Best Regards,
    Russ

17. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

Like shaff said, turn either picture upside down and both interfaces line up.

18. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

19. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

at that price don't you know how many systems you can build...Lol

20. greensman

greensman Regular member

What Willy said... lol. :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.