1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread -3rd Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I think you guys misunderstood me. Since a terbyte is now available, the likelihood of my picking up a SSD has increased exponentially LOL! In other words, they're close to perfecting the technology. :D

2. Red_Maw

Red_Maw Regular member

1-1.5 :p

3. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

We've talked about this before, and now i've found a little MORE confirmation. I guess I believed it but, hearing someone else say it, is that much better.

His statement does make me rather nervous though. Im noticing modules on the supported list that are also 1.5V. Surely when one makes settings to ram in the bios, those settings reset when new modules are inserted. So...if I were to buy a module that runs at 1.65V, and told the bios to decrease the voltage to 1.5V, and then insert the problematic ram modules, it would simply reset, wouldn't it? Basically NOT having an effect.

I guess im simply just gonna purchase modules on the supported list and hope for the best. But just because it's on the supported list, doesn't mean it's gonna post the first time, right? I may have to tweak first with another set of modules. I sure hope their supported list is NOT setup that way :(

So far, these are looking like the sweet spot. Hope so...
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N82E16820231193

And these are the ones I bought before. Uh Oh!!!
    Looks like newegg may have Fudged up!!! Where once it said 1.5V, now it's saying 1.65V. Or I screwed up LOL! It's possible, but I could swear it said 1.5...I believe 1.6V may be the max supported in the bios! Don't quote me though. Looks like I may have found the problem. The blue rams going back!!!
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231180

Last edited: Dec 28, 2009
  4. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

It would only reset itself if the memory was in Auto mode. If the memory is in manual mode, you would have to reset it yourself to the voltage you want. A quick test is to set things in the bios setup and then re-boot. Re-enter the bios setup and check in PC Health to see what the new voltage settings are. If you are happy with them then just re-boot and try it out.

Best Regards,
    Russ

5. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Well...according to what I've read, 1.6V is in the red zone on that particular board so, im gonna have to go with a lesser voltage module. Thought I had! I could swear that the modules I bought DID in fact say 1.5V. Looks like newegg pulled a switcheroo. I guess I'm REALLY gonna have to do some comparative shopping with the egg from now on. If they can't get their info straight. I really should be ashamed. This isn't the first time i've caught them with errors on their site :(

Let's hope that the next modules fire up. According to the QVL though, I should be good.

6. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Well ain't that something. Newegg states 1.65V, where G-Skills site states 1.5V! Now I don't know what the heck they run at. I think im gonna lean toward Gskill knowing what's up though ;) But i'm STILL going for the modules on the QVL!
    Newegg F3-10600CL8D-4GBHK
    Gskill F3-10600CL8D-4GBHK

7. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Oman7,
    Don't trust Newegg for specs! If GSkill says it's 1.5v, then that's what it is!

Best Regards,
    Russ

8. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

What's interesting now though, is the voltage is appropriate. So it may simply be an incompatible speed then. But for whatever reason, my first batch of ram is NOT on the QVL. I purchased the red modules which ARE on the list. So they're shouldn't be problems now! *Knocking on wood*

9. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

knock harder to make certain!!!

10. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

@omega

As for what Russ said Don't trust Newegg specs run with the manufacturer specs instead when you slap them sticks in go into the bios and change the volts to manual take it off auto if you don't they Will run below volts by -0.1 or -0.2 volts sett them to 1.5v run a memtest and see where you stand when. I slapped these in below

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231166

on my UD3P board they was running at 1.9v on auto and. I was't overclocked yet on the Q9550 yet it was at stock speed 2.83ghz.I changed to manual out of auto and cranked it up to 2.1v and everything is fine and running.I have not yet sense run any memory on auto Gigabyte has that reduce energy aka Dynamic Energy Saver something you gotta bypass to get what you want...

Happy Building
    Ya'll

And Happy New Year to Everyone!!!

11. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Well...I will adjust the bios setings, when I get into the bios LOL! With the other set of ram, It wouldn't even post! Newegg has very few options for this board(MA785GPMT-UD2H) on the QVL.

I swear, if it's the CPU, i'm really gonna be upset...

Last edited: Dec 28, 2009
  12. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

Good Luck Omega, Aight my turn.I have a issue sense.I moved up to Win 7 ultimate just now payed attention to along with Nero Issue's also burning and seeing my Dvd Burners as burners Not CD Roms...My question is why is device manager seeing them as CD Roms and the Software seeing them as there true names?

[​IMG]

software

[​IMG]

Did'nt have this problem with Xp anybody knows?

13. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I'm also experiencing something with windows 7, though it could be attributed to Adobe. Both photoshop, and Acrobat PDF reader experience curious issues. Not sure why yet. You've definitely got something going on there though:
    [​IMG]

14. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

yes I do...I just uninstalled Nero 6.6.6.18 and installed Nero 7 Essentials OEM version and it burning now ok Win 7 had issue with 6.6.6.18 version.I had

15. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

So basically, you're saying nero was the problem. I don't doubt that. Usually, it's the software that causes bugs/glitches. I've not had too many OS issues in my lifetime. Probably why Microsoft tries to include as much of THEIR software as possible. Because when something goes wrong, we point the finger at them, instead of the software manufacturer. Windows 7 seems pretty stable if you ask me :) My problem, being that both are an extension of adobe, tells me that a typical adobe process must be to blame. Perhaps a common DLL file...

16. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

17. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I've only dealt with a DLL site once. Since i'll be buying the retail Windows 7 ultimate in February, i'm not too worried about it :) Perhaps not ultimate, but at least professional edition.

18. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

[​IMG]

Man...I never seen this before...I even switched out DH20A4P...I have 2 of those drives...I guess it only see Sata Drive Plug in Not Piggy back IDE drives on Win 7

[​IMG]

19. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

2 of my drives are IDE. The 2 7200A drives. Whatever yout problem is, allowed new drives to be recognized. I imagine if you were to install new IDE drives, they just might be recognized in their entirety.

20. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

Maybe and another question how in the world you get these shields off your icons?

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.