1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread -3rd Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

lol well i didnt think id need 120mm fans but for tthat corsair cooler i deffo do.

2. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

dang.. where has boozer been? i miss that little fella...lol

3. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sam,
    Mainly because I never experienced anything remotely like this with all the years of IDE, and TN before that! I never had to disconnect another drive just to format a drive partition. Ever since I started using multiple hard drives, I've experienced these kind of problems. The problem magnified when I switched to S-ata Optical Drives. Then there's the Data Cables, which they are nothing but a bunch of poorly made junk. I've replaced more S-ata data cables in the last year than I have IDE and TN cables combined, in 20 years of working on computers! They may have been a pain, blocking airflow in older cases, but with my current case, it makes no difference in temperatures if the Optical drives are S-ata or IDE, as I've used both types in this case!

Russ

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I think the approach I mentioned before with the disk partition tool is best, if you want to do anything more complex than format a drive fresh and install windows on it, do it within an OS, not the windows setup tool. It's just asking for grief IMO. Your experiences will certainly make me think twice should I ever have a drive with multiple partitions on to format. As far as S-ATA cables go, yes they're naff, but they're tidy and compact, allow transfer rates otherwise unachievable with modern HDDs, no more messing about with master/slave and losing the jumpers, and if I remember rightly, installing more than 4 IDE devices onto a system was tricky unless you had enterprise-level hardware. S-ATA just makes so much more sense for the modern PC. If only they just made a slightly better cable design :p

5. FredBun

FredBun Active member

6. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

never had that problem ross, i have 2 640 GB drives, and an optical drive, ALL sata, and betweent he HDDs 5 partitions. anytimei format one, via the vista/win7 setup only that patrion get formatted.

7. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Very Nice :) Haha the almighty Gigabyte strikes again :p

8. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Estuansis,
    The AMDs with S-ata 3 and USB 3.0 have been out for about a month. I guess the big deal is the certification! RAH!! LOL!!

Best Regards,
    Russ

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Likewise, the Intel versions have been out for what must have been about a month.

10. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I'm sure the AMD counterparts will make certification ;) Can't wait til I have that bad boy in my hands. Joined with Phenom II 965 and a couple SSD's and I'll be happier than a fly in $h!t for years :D

11. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

when are the SB of amd and the intel chip going to get sata 3.0 and usb 3.0 support

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I wondered that, but don't really see it as that important. If you buy a board with that chipset, It doesn't seem like the NEC USB3 chipset is a cause for any reliability issues unlike other additional chipsets.

13. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

14. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Russ, I think what he means is on the actual southbridge chip, not the dedicated NEC chip...

15. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Oh! LOL!! I don't see that happening with either the Intel or AMD! I don't think it would be very economical at all, so it would be far more costly that way. There's only so many channels available to do the job, and it would take a complete redesign of the southbridge, to accomplish the task! The NEC chip is a simpler and less expensive solution. For some reason people think that the Intel Southbridge is better than anything else. When I had my Intel, the two Gigabyte Satas performed better than the Intel's did, by roughly 20%! I was never able to set the drives up in AHCI mode with the Intel. It just wouldn't boot, regardless of what drive you selected from the boot menu!

Russ

Last edited: Jan 6, 2010
  16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Intel's ICHs aren't great (especially not the ICH9) but they're cheap, get the job done and have universally reasonable driver support, hence their success. I wouldn't forsee USB3 retrofits to current chipsets, but I'd expect it to be factory-fit on the next generation.

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Mmmm, mess...
    After having said I'd do so for so long, finally bothered to upload the current internals of two of my PCs. The third will have to wait until it is rebuilt in a new case in a few days - it's a bit tricky to get everything back together again at the moment :p
    Yes, the wires will be tidied up when the upgrades are done. After failed motherboards, replaced S-ATA cables, several fan changes and so on, cable management took a bit of a backseat.

RMS-VOYAGER

http://img2.imageshack.us/img2/6606/s5000710.jpg
    http://img693.imageshack.us/img693/6455/s5000711.jpg
    http://img704.imageshack.us/img704/5118/s5000712.jpg

RMS-ALEXANDRAV3

http://img706.imageshack.us/img706/5912/s5000713.jpg

Last edited: Jan 10, 2010
  18. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

2nd and 4th pics are corrupted somehow. Only load partially. Nice looking case. ;) Seems somehow familiar LOL!

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yeah, Imageshack is awful lately. It actually took 40 minutes to upload those pictures. I'll try again.

20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

OK, try now :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.