1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread -3rd Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Man I can't wait to try crossfire/Sli. I love delving into new frontiers :D New to me anyway :p

2. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Hey Sam,
    Are you sure you have enough case fans in Voyager? :) I counted 9 that I could see! You need to chain it to the desktop, or it might fly away on it's own! :) Pictures open all the way here, so they aren't corrupt! When ImageShack is busy, it take a lot of time because of the large resolution of the pictures! smaller stuff like benchmarks or scans, are pretty fast. Looks very good!

Best Regards,
    Russ

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Nah, I managed to replace the corrupt versions - I couldn't open the two mentioned either until I replaced them. The new website is terrible though, it took me several attempts to upload them.

4. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Hmm! I did several yesterday that I posted in the scan thread and it seemed to be running fairly fast then! it's not so much ImageShack, but the net itself. Weekends are the worst because everyone and their Mother is on line. BTW! What cooler is that in Voyager? It doesn't quite look familiar.

Cable management is a thing of the past for me. It looks good in a window case, but anything hidden becomes a nightmare to replace! That's why I got rid of my window cases! It's hard enough just to replace a Sata cable, as it is, without having to partly remove the MB! I know, I know! Get a full tower! LOL!!

Russ

5. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

I had 14 fans in my Supermicro SC-750A case, it did sound like a wind farm though, they weren't quiet fans, some were YS-Delta (i think that's waht they're called) and another of the noisest brands.

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Haha yeah, proper industrial grade fans they are. This PC is little different, as the four side fans along with two of the top fans are Scythe SlipStream super high speed fans, rated over 100CFM. Ironically, the top ones are effectively inaudible over the side ones, due to the resonance of case side panels.

7. FredBun

FredBun Active member

Hey welcome back Sammy, you bet my internet gets super slow on some weekends, like this weekend for instance, anyway, Russ, I just finished the bathroom, if I can find some time I might give you a call, I have the hardrive, the cables and that rosewill card you told me about, should I install the drive and the card before giving you a buzz, those two seem easy it's the cables that will have me confused, Also.

Emma finally cought her flight from London, she left like 3 hours ago, I hope to pick her up around 10 pm, man 3 days stranded, I don't think I could have been able to put up with that, man to be young again, they had some cold weather and a couple of inches of snow and shut things down, are you kidding me, what the hell is going on over there in the UK lol. I'll have to send over some care packages of crushed salt so those guys can salt thier runways :)

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Ugh, tell me about it. 2 inches of snow utterly ruins this country.

9. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

O Wow Sam you need a redo Badly

Sam's b4 shot

[​IMG]

Sam's need to be After

[​IMG]

I love cable management keeping everthing in order and neat to have everything hidden is to show people How did he do that? replacing the sata cables are easy if you don't have big hands.LOL

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2010
  10. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Here's a good question. What is the proper name for a device such as the following?
    http://www.provantage.com/teac-america-dvwd110a-kit-h~7TEAC1C9.htm
    No, im not interested in duplicating cds or dvds. Im simply interested in a storage solution for multiple drives, rather than ran externally via single external solutions. That'd get rather spendy buying multiple external enclosures for each drive. Surely a 4-8 drive case doesn't cost that much? Surely "Duplication Tower" is not the proper name...

Well...I just found one anyway.
    http://www.amamax.com/fshxce9baysa.html

Last edited: Jan 10, 2010
  11. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

It never occurred to me that my NEC ND-3550A may have died from insufficient cooling. I'm reading up about duplication towers, and one little tidbit caught my eye. A duplication tower can produce more heat than a PC. Go figure, lasers burning discs LOL! I always assumed that it was because I WAS a smoker at the time(february 3rd makes one year no smoking). It still might have been cancer LOL! But now I wonder about heat, because that case was pretty packed with stuff. I now have a lot more respect for the HAF 932 :D Something tells me it won't be discontinued anytime soon. :)

12. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

I bought some kind of multiple CD cabinet thing back before the invention of DVD's, it had stupid amounts of CD drives. It was crap though, finicky/unreliable drivers and/or crap software (well this was back in the days of crap software), it went to landfill in the end. I also considered those 400 slot DVD jukebox things too, but that was all back when optical media was the in thing, i personally can't stand DVD's anymore, and despite Bluray media offering to hold more data i'm not interested, as i posted somewhere before, i only use DVD's as backups now, all my movies are written as data now, when you have thousands of DVD's it's just a waste of time trying to ever find a specific movie.Of course the DVD's are just as useless as backups as the same mindset applies, hence why any movies i keep on hard drives are copied to a second hard drive also. Hopefully (he types optimistically) that way i get to avoid ever having to 'restore' from them en masse. In these days of huge hard drives it's just a pain using DVD's, even though hard drives are always so prone to fail (they are, they're mechanical, it's the law :) )

Last edited: Jan 10, 2010
  13. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Will,
    Nope! Sounds and looks like an obsession to me! I keep things neat and tidy, but there's no need to hide anything in a non window case, and I get to organize things for simplicity when something needs to be done inside it! I can disconnect things quite easily for any kind of service or repair. I never liked all the lights anyway! Being so close to me, they were annoying! And yes, I do have big hands and long fingers! LOL!! No, I don't want or need a full tower. Don't like them!

Russ

14. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

i prefer a desktop case over a tower as i just have to pop the cover off & i'm into the guts of it without having to move anything.

15. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I'll be in the market for a Desktop case or HTPC case before too long. I wonder what a good HTPC case with good cooling costs. Hopefully no more than 80-100$. I'll be putting my MSI board in the HTPC case, and putting my current primary board in the secondary case, to make way for my NEW primary :D Wonder if the onboard graphics (Nvidia 6200), coupled with Athlon 5200 can handle blu-ray. If so, it could be a very good HTPC for a few years at least.

16. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

ddp,
    The problem with Desktop cases is that there's only one these days, that has a decent amount of room for ODDs and HDDs. That's a Thermaltake Mozart, and like a lot of media center/desktop cases, the cooling is very suspect (read poor), and very noisy! 60mm and 80mm fans are not generally very quiet fans, if they move enough air.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811133168

There's also this Thermaltake that has 3 5.25" and 7 3.5" bays. That's about it for room!
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811133061

Cases like the Antec Fusion series, cool well but lack 5.25" bays for more than one optical drive and two 3.5" internal bays for hard drives. Their cheapest model has one 5.25" ODD bay and one 3.5" HDD bay! They could be better, but hardly anyone wants a desktop case anymore. It's a shame really!

Best Regards,
    Russ

Last edited: Jan 11, 2010
  17. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Meh I've given an HTPC some thought but not for a long while. I still mainly watch all of my HD media and play all my games on my desktop anyway. Maybe when I get an HDTV and finally have a real purpose for one will I give it more thought. I am a hi-fi/music fan though so I already have my stereo/entertainment system ready to go with an open spot should I decide to build an HTPC.

18. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I'm quite content with a tower myself. The HTPC is for my brother. That Pavilion, that I upgraded with the Athlon XP recently, does O-K, but i've come to realize that it's just too darn outdated. So i'm giving him my MSI board, installed in a good HTPC case. I'll probably just go for looks and cheap price, and fashion its interior to do a better job. I do worry about the PSU though. NONE of them are getting even decent reviews...

19. kangyu

kangyu Guest

Irrelevant spam removed. Perv.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2010
  20. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

umm, kangyu...do you have the right thread?

Looking at a very cheap HTPC here.
    Cheap HTPC
    I realize that you get what you pay for, but I sure don't mind spending 40$ to see what I can do to this cheap sucker. It's certainly not bad looking anyway...

LOL! Never mind. That sucker is getting some of the poorest reviews i've ever seen! The friggin motherboards won't even line up with the standoff holes. That's some pretty poor fabrication skills if you ask me...

Now this one is more like it :)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811121027

Last edited: Jan 11, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.