1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread -3rd Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

a friend of mine made a mistake once with a table saw & it cost him 2/3 of a finger. he blames himself not the tablesaw or the manufacturer.

2. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I'm getting irritated quite quickly here. I just tried to power it up, and nothing. I opened the case, and I had somehow forgotten the +4 pin. It's not a 20 pin board, like I connected. How I forgot the other four is beyond me LOL! I connected the remaining 4 pin, and still nothing. Looks like a possible dead PSU. Wouldn't be the first PSU to be DOA with these...

I'm so fed up, I may not work on it more tonight. My room is a disaster, and my temper short. Sure would be odd to be 2 bad switches in a row. And I don't think I hooked up the F Panel wrong. Time to cheer up with some TNG episodes :D

Unless somehow, the PSU is simply not capable of supplying the 89W 5200+ athlon?

Last edited: Jan 17, 2010
  3. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Oman7,
    Try jumpering the connection for the power switch, right at the motherboard and make sure if there's a switch to select 220v or 115v, that it's in the right position. If there's a 4 or 8 pin plug for the CPU, be sure it's plugged in. Some with an 8 prong plug on the motherboard, will work with just the 4, but others won't. I couldn't find any adapters, but I have purchased them before. If all else fails, I have one with two Molex plugs on one end for splitting the load on the rails. If you need it, holler!

Russ

4. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

It's funny you bring up jumping those pins. I've never done it, yet I had the idea to do it today. But there is of course another way. Jumping from the green wire, to a black wire on the 24pin clip, will in essence, hotwire the PSU ;)
    Hotwire PSU

Last edited: Jan 18, 2010
  5. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sam,
    I didn't change any subject, and if you feel wronged, then you need to seek Professional help. I don't know what the hell your problem is, but it's not the fan! And no, you are not doing your best to help anyone while you are busting my balls for how many pages this time! I'm going to get banned for this, but if no one else has the desire to say something, I will. You are being a total bumhole about it. If you had stuck to the topic of the post and left all the hate out, we wouldn't be having this conversation at all! I've tried to be nice, and explain everything until it should be very clear to anyone with a modicum of brains. Apparently yours are on vacation! It wasn't a cheap shot, nor was it meant to be that my friends spoke up. I only said it to try and get you to understand how ridiculous you were making yourself look to other people right now. These guys are computer people on a scale you and I could only dream of. Money is no object to them! I also had it pointed out to me that this is part of the reason they why don't want to join AD! I've been trying to get them all to join for quite a while now, without success!

I'll say this about your little tirade, if people are wasting their time and money because of me, I haven't had any complaints about it, and no one is unhappy with me, at least as far as I know. If someone takes my advice, fine. If they don't that's fine too. That's because it's advice. I'm not holding a gun to their heads!

You spent this entire conversation making no point at all, and even less sense. Just another one of these shoulda Kept your mouth shut and didn't, posts! What you said was wrong, and you are being an bumhole about it. Sometimes you need to learn when to shut your mouth!

Russ

OK ddp, you can suspend me now!

6. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Well...there we have it. The PSU is DOA. I did nothing to it, and I treated it like a baby. I guess I knew this could happen. The reviews about the PSU in particular are the worst. I sure wish a manufacturer like corsair would build a reputable PSU for the HTPC's. Such a shame...

I connected the green wire to 2 different black wires. No go. In the past, I have always gotten at least a slight reaction. I get NOTHING from this one. It's completely dead! I think i'll go through HEC to see how they handle this. I'm not happy. Not happy at all!

7. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Oman7,
    JUst for s's and G's, try a different power cord! Maybe you'll get lucky. Hey, you never know!

Russ

8. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

mmm a power cord is a good idea. Cables are a biattch some times. I have thought hdds were dead oe faulty due to them! Lol.

ddp, way to add fuel to the fire :p

omega, pwetty pweease can you make a fan decision so we can have peace? I blame you :p

and which corsair psu do you have, IICR, harvardguy's corsair psu also stopped working and it was a low end unit aswell.... Mmmm :S

9. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I can't make a fan decision at present. I haven't even heard it's stock fan :p I might just be content.

10. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

LOL!!! That's all I have to say about that :) Russ, you're awesome! Thanks for your comment as well shaff. I thought about trying a different cord, but dismissed it because I've never had a bad one. I really need to stop assuming don't I. Apparently it was the cord!

What's really funny, is if I used the cord that was intended for it, I wouldn't be in this mess LOL! I have so many of them, I rarely open a new package!

11. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Actually, it's not very noisy at all. It barely lets out a whisper. The optical drive is seriously loud though LOL! Can't wait to stick a virtual thermometer up its virtual butt LOL! Gonna take at least a half hour to install Windows 7 though ;)

Boy it's just one thing after another with me lately! Now I had to reopen it because I had the HDD set to Master with slave, because my original plan was a total IDE setup. Since it didn't have a slave, it didn't wanna boot. Probably more to do with the location on the cable though eh? Eh, IDE is a dying breed anyway :p Sata is the future. Thank goodness :D

12. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Not too bad if I say so myself. And the house it's going to is even cooler than this room. I think its in the upper 70's in here right now. The Onboard graphics temp has me a bit nervous though. Perhaps I can pinpoint the area, and fashion a super small fan. I've seen them on the egg :) Pay no attention to the HDD score though. That HAS to be some kind of error. There's no way it's in the same league as my FALS or AAKS drives. Or the veloci for that matter :p

Sorry, these temps were under load by the way. :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Oman7,
    You're most welcome. I think we've all had times where we never stopped to think about the cord. I sent a perfectly good PSU back one time for that very thing. It just somehow never crossed my mind that I was using the old cord! LOL!! I'm so used to having a couple of places here with all the wires to hook up a computer, to work on them. You never really stop to think about a bad cord or something simple like that. Glad it works!

Best Regards,
    Russ

14. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Oman7,
    If the chip has a heatsink give one of these a try.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835129036
    It's the most awesome 40mm fan I've ever used. Only 2200 RPM and moves 6.5 CFM of air. Quiet and ball bearing. I screw them right to the fins of the heatsink. Great for Northbridge chips too! On my Northbridge it performed a degree or so higher than the Enzotek all copper cooler did. They are out of them at the moment, but just google the Mfg. Item number. I would use something temporary until they are back in stock. It's as good as you can find anywhere in a 40mm fan! I put one in Oxi-II and it dropped the chip temperature from 46-47C to 32-33C.

EDIT: Go here!
    http://www.avadirect.com/product_details_parts.asp?PRID=12007

Best Regards,
    Russ

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Russ: I'll just put this out there, there is no drill in my house. I don't need one, because I don't expect to need one. Even if said mountain is a molehill, there's a molehill in my garden. None of the other hundreds or possibly even thousands of alternatives create a molehill in my garden.
    I did not blame Silverstone for the accident. Yet again you're too concerned for your beloved favourite brand to remember that all I said was (correctly) with any other fan it wouldn't have happened. That's a fact. Nothing more.
    Makes me lol.
    There is no hate, not from me at least. I just stick at it in the vain hope that one day installing a case fan if you spec'ed a PC from this thread will be a two minute job again, rather than having to spend half an hour digging out a drill and cable ties and whatever else. There are times when people disagree on product brands, AMD vs Intel, ATI vs nvidia, etc. etc. and ultimately if a user has a substantial preference for one brand, there's not a great deal of point trying to persuade them because often the rival product isn't really any worse. However, in this instance every product on the market bar one doesn't have this huge flaw. The only fan on the market that would make my life a misery building PCs is the one you're pedalling to the masses!
    As for your friends, just because they're rich, doesn't mean they know everything. The people I humbly look up to on an expertise basis very rarely are that rich.

These are the two lies in your post. You don't like lying, so I'm surprised you wrote them.

Now that one IS mutual.

Omega: Can you test another PSU externally to the case just to make sure? It shouldn't need to fit in the case for the wires to reach.
    Never mind, just spotted the power cable issue. I've had that a few times, and yes, I too blamed the power supply at first.

As for the Windows experience index, all that test does is measure MB/s. A Caviar Black will pretty much equal a Velociraptor for that, so they'll both score a similar amount.

16. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Mort, Here you go. It's 1.3625v!

http://processorfinder.intel.com/details.aspx?sSpec=SLAWR

Best Regards and Happy New Year,
    Russ

Last edited: Jan 20, 2010
  17. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Sam, what is considered a reasonable transfer speed for your average 500GB drive? Say my current 500s in my gaming rig. What would be expected? I can run HD Tune or HD Tach if you'd like to compare...

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Depends on the environment. A standard 500GB hard drive may bench 80-90MB/s in HDTach but in practice is more likely to achieve 65-75MB/s, 80 at a push.

19. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Okay that falls roughly in line with my drives. I'm seeing about 70-75 average doing a large transfer between the two. Seen 80-85 working from the outside edge of the platters. Interesting. And the Velociraptors are pushing more like 100 am I correct?

20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yeah, typically 100-110 in normal usage from what I can gather. Fast, but not astonishingly fast. As I often state, the biggest advantage of all with 10k drives is the access latency.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.