1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread -3rd Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. im1992

im1992 Regular member

thanks for the info! i will see what i can squeeze out of it, if anything more...

2. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

@creaky

Thanks for the help. I'm networked up thru the house now sharing hard drives & burners in one location my room.lol

[​IMG]

for right now.I'm still using teamviewer running 3 syetems for 1 seat

[​IMG]

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Having tried various VNC clients, I still prefer the one that's built into windows... :p

4. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Gonna cut this build a little cheaper than I planned. Starting to become somewhat of a miser LOL! Seriously though, I can't see buying any more than this right now.

The processor has been OC'd to 4Ghz and beyond. Whether thats stable or not, I'll discover for myself. It's also the C3 stepping which is more stable, and runs cooler (Supposedly). I can't see spending 20+ dollars on the successor, when It'll probably only OC an additional 100Mhz or 200, if that. I think the 955 is the economical sweet spot :)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103808

The Ram is the same exact Ram I bought for my mother. Tried and tested. When I elect to upgrade to 4 X 4Gb later, she can have that ram for her computer, or i'll simply store it. She has 4gb. Which is plenty for a user of her habits ;)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231193

The Board is my dream come true. Enough said...LOL! Seriously though, it can handle Tri SLI/Crossfire, USB 3.0, Sata Rev 3, Dual lan. I think dream come true pretty much sums it up LOL!
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128415

Grand total $464.47, counting shipping. Not bad for 3 cutting edge technologies. Hopefully the price doesn't fluctuate to much in the next week or two. Waiting on tax return :D I should probably buy another PSU though. I'll consider that when the time comes :)

5. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

omega i don't want to bring anyone down, that's normally sams job :p, but that mobo only supports CF not SLI at all

6. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

See, I wasn't sure about that. That's why I suggested either or. Are you certain about that? That's truly unfortunate...

Will it not support nvidia cards at all? If it will, why does it not support sli?

So it should be ok, with a single Nvidia GPU, but when ran in multi gpu setups, the AMD chipset, really wants it to be ATI then. Thats fine and good. I've been itching to give them a shot anyway. And I do want that dual LAN, along with the USB 3.0, And Sata 6Gb/s! I'll certainly make use of both the dual Lan, and Sata 6Gb/s!

Last edited: Jan 24, 2010
  7. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

yep sorry . Unlike the new intel chips you need a separate nbidia chip for sli. It's stupid but it is what it is (which is pathetic IMO) just CF. Though single nvidia is perfectly fine

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Omega: Actually the 955 overclocks better than the 965. Don't ask me why... :S Technically the 945 is the sweet spot, not the 955 though, since they all overclock the same :)
    nvidia do not allow the use of SLI on chipsets that are unlicensed. Some intel boards are now licensed, but no AMD Chipset ever will be, and using an nforce is no option.

9. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Newegg doesn't have a 945 Black :p

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The 945s aren't black editions, but it doesn't make a great deal of difference from what I've seen due to the low clock speed yields of the Phenoms anyway.

11. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Those "Low" clock speeds are way fast enough for me :p And besides, 5$ more for a genuine black edition just seems like a better idea. I could be mistaken though. But 5$ more for the multiplier functions is sure worth it to me :)

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

If it's only $5 more then I stand corrected, the price difference I'm sure used to be more substantial than that.

13. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

finding myself liking this networking thing doin a test on tranfering speed from one system to the other thru the software the speed will differ on regular networking alittle faster but more faster in copy and paste action that we all seem to use.I'm gonna try a network burn to see how it comes out. I've never tryed 1 now that. I have learn how to wake up my systems from one room in the house. I say if you built them you should use them not to collect dust.lol

pic of transfer in progress now. I can wake my systems from anywhere if need be and transfer...

[​IMG]

there's nothing wrong with alittle networking in house even got my printer online and printing as well on the network no need to buy another one for the other systems,,,

[​IMG]

happy building
    Y'all

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2010
  14. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

Indeed, i have 20 devices listed in my router's DHCP scope, games consoles and PC's. My printers are circa 1994 and have no networking but i rarely print anyways. Everything else is networked throughout the house.

15. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

sorry creaky, i'm not as big time as you.lol but. i do indeed like your setup at your house you have alot to work with as we all know from the thread(Where are you sat?) it's clean and neat
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/45/208116

as you have seen mine. I'm conpacked to my bedroom space but soon after my son leaves for the air force in march his room will be my office of space down the road right now.I'm enjoying what.I got running 3 systems on my network and taking in a movie also

[​IMG]

here's my modem of speed 30-30 up & down and the connection ports
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

along with my little 5 port router, It gets the job done for $10 cost
    creaky. i think we have the same brand names linksys ?
    [​IMG]

i do have a choice of going wireless but.I'll stay wired up

16. creaky

Nice one Will, you soon got the networking sorted then, told you it was easy :)

Yeah mine is all just stuff i've bought over the years, back whenever i had bouts of good money; i try to always buy equipment with a view to keeping it for well, forever (i do the same with cars too).

Props to you on the Linksys, that looks like the EZXS55W, the little brother of my EZXS16W; i'm just very attached to the old blue Linksys routers and switches. Wireless is ok and everything, i know i'm only using 'G' tech, but between 'G' and wired i'm happy. You only paid $10 for the switch ?, bargain, i paid something like £40 for mine.
    I'm sat here writing a few simple linux scripts as it happens, for instance the one i'm working on now opens a share to my main Utils folder on the Quad (where i dump all my program updates etc), then searches for a specific (and partial) string so i can find out easily if i've got a particular DVDFab update or whatever. And as i don't keep copies of all my historical backups (of ancient Utils that have been burnt to CD or DVD) on the Quad i have another script that mounts the local (to the linux box) Windows partiion and interrogates the text files said historical backup CD's/DVD's.

I do most of my movie watching across the network, whether it's on the HTPC or via one of the old type xboxes. I think i mentioned it further up the thread but i don't like the Quad machine on all the time so mine's a part time file server as well as part time media centre, hence why i'm writing the scripts, though mainly it's just to keep the old brain active; so if the Quad's not on i have an 80GB notebook HDD in a cheapy caddy that acts as a glorified USB stick and is great for dumping movies on beforehand so i can avoid switching on the Quad unnecessarily. G/F and the kids uses wireless the most, for general surfing and watching TV shows off the net, for movie watching i prefer wired.
    I took an old type xbox round to the kids' house today so they now have their own multimedia centre with a 250GB hard drive full of games movies and music, which has replaced a little dvd player, trouble is i don't use standalone dvd players anymore so i have to find a use for yet another player. I don't like selling things so i'll have to find a place to store it. DVD's are just irritating, as i often post, i can't be doing with buggering about looking for DVD's, it's so 1980's :p

As i'm always in and rarely sleep i've started leaving the main linux machine on now, it'd be nice to leave the Quad on full time but it somehow feels wasteful (it's probably just because i can hear the Quad's fans whereas i can't hear the C2D!), but whenever the main linux box and the Quad are on, they're running Seti@Home workunits (there's enough people out there doing Folding@home or whatever, i prefer to find Aliens, but to be serious i've been using Seti for 10 years now so that's what i stick to), got to keep the CPU's earning their keep if they're up and using electricity :)

5 days uptime so far for the C2D (the longest it's been up doing continuous Seti) ~

[​IMG]

..the longest this machine and the Quad have been up together continuously was about a fortnight, back in the summer when both machines were needed to crunch thru many hundred of DVD's for converting to AVI's.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2010
  17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Burning discs over network is quite satisfying, I do it often. It doesn't seem that long ago you daren't even move the mouse to risk ruining a CD-R... :p

18. creaky

What Sam said :p

19. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

LOL! I've done that before. I can't do it now though, because windows 7 doesn't like my USB drivers for the DSL modem. Now I don't have to worry with the new board, since it has dual LAN :)

20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

It never occurred to you to plug the modem into the switch rather than the PC directly? Or are you using crossover?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.