1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread -3rd Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I have a crossover cable. Never had a switch til recently.

2. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

Which modem you have? don't win 7 have those built in drives certain type of dsl modem hardware?

right now this my speed with all 3 systems running bridges off the same switch out of the # 1 port of the modem ethernet connection,I'm not downloading or uploading nothing at the time but if, I shut 2 systems it should jump to 30mb/s down and up there sharing bandwirth

[​IMG]

would'en usb be much slower in speed tranfer?

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Internet bandwidth sharing doesn't work in an absolute manner. If you have 50 devices hooked up to a 100 Megabit internet connection, they don't get 2 Megabit each, they get 100 megabit unless the connection is being used. If none of the systems on your network were using bandwidth when you ran that test, that's the full speed you'd get whether or not they were connected.
    5 Mbps upload is astonishingly high for residential internet, I'm impressed...

4. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I get almost 900K/bs upload. Which translates to about 88Kbs. I pay for 5Mbs download, I've seen 535Kbs. I've seen USB 2.0 transfer speeds in excess of 20,000Kbs. So I imagine it can handle High speed internet.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2010
  5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Indeed, USB2 typically has a maximum throughput of around 30MB/s, or 240Mbps. USB2 is even sometimes used for networking.

6. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Here you go chief :p
    [​IMG]

7. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

you know sam your right...) that made me double check my phone bill cincinnati bell slipped a fast one in on me Last november. I added wireless you know cell phones also to my plan . i got it all thru 1 service digtal cable + dvdr,house phone,internet & now cell phone somebody messed with my bundle plan and knock me down to 20mb. I thought sometime was wrong with that test.I was'nt paying attention to my bill someone getting a Ear full tommorrow at cincinnati bell. the math is all wrong on my bill. I just was'nt paying attention when. I first got the fioptic the speed was

[​IMG]

and it will be back there tommorrow

this is the speed..I had when.I was with time warner you know Road Runner ( Beep Beep) here in the states

Time Warner
    [​IMG]

As you can see the speed tests was done on the same day a few hours apart from Service change from one provider to another!!!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2010
  8. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

That's freakishly high bandwidth :p

9. greensman

greensman Regular member

GOOD LAWDY!!! That is some MAJOR download power!!! :D

10. Red_Maw

Red_Maw Regular member

So the transfer in the picture is over a wired connection, is it over the network in your house or are you accessing it remotely from another location? I only ask because 2.65MB/s is very slow for a wired connection when you don't have to deal with ISP limitations (although it doesn't look like you have worry about bandwidth lol).

11. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

12. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Oh baby that is the stuff. I ever mention I only buy Mushkin RAM? lol

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

It'll be designed specifically for use with the Core i5's memory controller. 4GB modules are rare at the moment.

14. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I like G-skill quite a bit, But I am running mushkin. 4 X 2Gb(1066) :D Though it runs at 800Mhz when 4 sticks are used...

Well they need to unrarify them LOL! If there were more in the market, people would probably buy them, unaware that most of them don't need that much :p

Although I honestly believe in a few short years, Windows 7 may require 8gb. With the way software is going.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2010
  15. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

/creaky types away on the 384MB machine and also on the 512MB machine wondering why people are talking about 8GB :eek:

Was just reviewing some old work server specs, we had Production servers with 1GB, 2GB and 4GB, some at 8G and even one at 12GB (the CPU's were only 400MHz on the older setup, we eventually moved to 1.3GHz CPUs but the RAM didn't go up by much more). And on the multi-domain servers we could just swap in and out extra RAM as needed, one of the guys even scripted it to happen dymanically based on workload, now that's some clever stuff.
    As to home machines needing so much memory, i can never understand why :)

16. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Because some people author 1200Dpi documents :) even photoshop surpasses 4Gb of my ram, while doing so :p With it's wonderful Ram management :) Much smarter than windows paint anyway... Windows paint will overload my Ram in a heart beat!!!

17. creaky

I'll take your word for it as that sort of thing has never interested me, but it sort of makes sense that images sometimes need loads of RAM, i just know that this linux box has been up 6 days and it's only using 2.5GB of RAM, Firefox 3.6, Google Chrome (still not very keen on Chrome, it's a bit crap but not as crap as IE), Seti@home and loads of other stuff.

18. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Some of my games have the potential to cross the 4gb threshold as well. GTA IV for instance :D Windows 7 at startup uses just over 1Gb. And that's just now. It's pretty much a fresh install. Just wait til we start installing touch screen programs, and other super intelligent programs :D

19. creaky

They're only intelligent if they use reasonable amounts of memory :)
    That's odd about GTA4, as i'm not into PC gaming i don't know it's specs, but i do know my xbox 360's haven't got that much RAM!. In fact i just googled it because i didn't know how much, it seems the 360 has a whopping 512MB RAM. I rest my case :)

20. greensman

greensman Regular member

I'm actually impressed with the Xbox 360 so far... We got one for Christmas (Santa got it for the boys.. :D) and it has great graphics and seems to do quite a bit.. I'm just touching the "edge" of the available features. ;)

creaky I see you have a few of the original Xbox consoles around.... how do you utilize them and would it be a good idea for the kiddies to have one in their room? ;) tia for your time and answers. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.