1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread -3rd Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

thats cool Mort i wanted the system to run a few days before i started OC(ing) anyway making sure everything is stable (seems to be) so whenever you get time get with me

2. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

ZOSO
    you running vista? if not how much of the 4 gigs does XP see/recognise?

3. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

(32bit) XP will only see 3 and a bit Gig..

4. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

So which route you got your mind set on goin with so far there the Asus or the Gig..?

so creaky Xp only see's 3 gig's nothing more right? and Vista see's it all Vista is 64bit right?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2008
  5. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

As creaky stated, you will not see all of the 4 gigs, since 32 bit windows can only address 4.096 Gigs of memory total. How much you will see depends on how many other pieces of hardware has memory and how much. If the memory on your graphics card is 512 Megabytes then that much will be subtracted from the systems 4.096 GB total. If you have two graphics cards then with 512 megabytes then you will have 1.024 Gb subtracted. Nvidia has some new card that have 768 Mb of memory add two of those for SLI and gigabytes of memory would be completely pointless.

6. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

Agreed, it turns a normally time consuming encoder, DVD-RB/CCE and runs it at transcoder speeds.
    You guys wont believe how far itll OC before having to add volts.
    I personally feared temperatures more than over-volting, making me think this could really scream with better-than-air cooling.
    (I think I just combined the DVD-RB thread with the OC thread in the PC Build thread 3---Isnt that some kind of record? :p)

7. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

seeing that my GPU is only 256mb
    (EVGA 256-P2-N615-TX GeForce 7600GT 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 SLI Supported Video Card - Retail)

then if i got 4 gigs (2 x 2gb) then XP would see a good 3.6gb+????? Hmmm 3.6gb 3.6ghz OC....kinda got a theme going here...lol

Last edited: Jul 17, 2008
  8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I see 3582MB with a 512MB GPU. Add 512 to 3582 and you get 4904, two off. If that theory holds true with a 256MB GPU, you should see 3838MB.

9. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

10. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

maximum allocatable memory
    1.2 gigabyte

so that means im useing .8gigs now?

if so what the hell is useing it? 256mb for my GPU whats the 544mg being use by??

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

No, it's the maximum amount of memory any one program can use, I believe. Mine comes out at 1.4GB, and I'm certainly not using 2.2GB.

12. haskins69

haskins69 Member

Just thought I'd Let you folk's Know that I took the ASUS Striker II Formula , They only offered the EVGA 780i Part# 132-CK-NF78-A1 , which has less Upgrade option's than ASUS . If they would of offered the other one , EVGA 780i Part# 132-YW-E178-A1 . I would of took it!!!! but I'm trying to look to the future, meaning which will be able to take 1066 ram , which one OC's better, ect......

I'll most likely regret the choice but I made a Call now I must live with It!!!!!

Thank's for the input though!!!!!!

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Fair enough. Good luck, you'll need it. The Striker II is even more problematic than the original.

14. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

haskins69, let us know how it works out

the end game may be getting a refund if the ASUS Striker II Formula has problems also

15. haskins69

haskins69 Member

my warranty with cyberpower on system run's out 8/16 If I have issues that I can't work out I'll Have to deal with ASUS , and since the board was bought as part of a system , cash refund is probily out , but I seem to find a why to get under a company's skin when I feel I'm being screwed, so hopefully if this board has issues [I HOPE IT DON'T ] I'll either get good help from ASUS or I'll find their weak spot and dig in till they sort it out , because the way I see it............If I run default setting's , don't OC ,and just do normal computer stuff [games ,convert movies , download torrent's ect.....] it should work as advertized if not then they can either make it good some how or deal with a lawyer , and I might have to by anouther board to get me though that ,BUT I'LL BE DAMNED IF I'LL PAY THIS MUCH FOR A BOARD AND JUST SAY OH......WELL I'LL GET SATICFACTION OR I'LL BE THEIR WORST NIGHTMARE FOR THE NEXT 3 YEARS!!!!!ASUS MIGHT JUST END UP HATING ME!!! BUT OH WELL.....

Again I am only doing normal computer stuff and if the asus board can't hang then it probably will fall under the lemon law [ it's illegal to sell something you know don't work!! } and pursue them that way it don't cost me nothing but time . ASUS would have to pay all lawyer fee's mine and their's!!!

BUT LET'S HOPE IT DON'T COME TO THAT!!!!

Thank's folk's.........later

16. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

haskins69

The board will do just fine. Some of us fail to realize that not everyone is an extreme overclocker. Many gamers continue to purchase boards with Nvidia chipsets so that they can run SLI if needed. The board will allow some modest overclocking should the need ever arise, but if it is not what you intended to do then even that's irrelevant. You made a choice to spend your money just as you wanted to and that's the way it ought be. Enjoy!!

17. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

rick5446,
    Cool but slow! E-Sata is many times faster than USB. I'm sure they make a dock for a 5.25 bay (removable HDD bay) that would be Sata all the way that would be much faster. Some of the external drives work on Firewire, usb and Sata!

Russ

18. haskins69

haskins69 Member

FINALY A GOOD COMMENT ON ASUS BOARD I THOUGHT I WOULDN'T GET ONE!!!

19. haskins69

haskins69 Member

OH...I FORGOT I HOPE YOUR RIGHT !!!!! I ONLY DID BASIC SH** WITH LAST 6 ASUS BOARDS , AND THEY ALL WENT TIT'S UP!!!

BUT THANK'S FOR VOTE OF CONFIDENCE !!!!!!
    HOPE....HOPE......HOPE.....

20. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

haskins69, contacting the BBB would be the first step if it doesn't work out

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.