1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread -3rd Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

A computer is running a lot of separate tasks at one time. Besides, GTA IV looks WAYYY better on PC, than the 360. Perhaps the PS3 would come close if not match the PC. But I doubt it. A PC with the proper hardware would annihilate it. Cards have the potential of running beyond blu-ray resolution. PS3 last time I checked could not. I could be mistaken though ;)
    At one time, computers needed no more than a few MB of ram. But given software evolution, Ram size has exploded. 3d modeling, rendering software can't help but need an absurd amount of ram. Without large ram, the HDD would need to temporarily store that data. That would sure suck! LOL! Could a super computer operate with a mere 1mb of ram...

Most of this is based on logic. If my logic is flawed, I apologize.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2010
  2. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

OM7 - they should code things better and thus not need to use so much RAM, it just results in lazy coding, MS Outlook is the best example i can think of, Outlook 2007 needs at least a gig or RAM, what a joke. There's a great linux equivalent of Outlook called Evolution, and whilst i forget how much RAM it needs it certainly doesn't require 1 gig.
    I can't comment on the PC version of GTA4 (apart from i'll wager it needs all the horsepower just for graphics, i can't see the coding being massively different from other platforms somehow), i just know that the 360 version is excellent. It must be, i play it for at least an hour most days, and i finished it many months ago. Not meaning to debate consoles vs PC's, i gave up PC gaming many years ago and am just shocked to find that after playing GTA4 on my xboxes for the last year and a half, that a monster PC is needed to play the same game, can;t quite get my head round it.

GM - The old xboxes are mainly for watching movies across the network, they're all softmodded and run 'XBMC' ie xbox media centre, the old xboxes are impressive as they'll even play 720p rips (with a bit of lag in fast moving scenes, but as most of my movies are under 720p it's a no brainer). Not bad for what are in effect P3 733MHz PC's with a huge 64MB of RAM :)
    They are great for games too but i have them mainly for movies, i have one in each room, all networked. I softmodded my first xbox in Nov 2007, if you're interested here's my notes on said exercise ~ http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_jump.cfm/557450/3558187
    The kids love XBMC, they have it down pat. And my main old xbox in the lounge has an infrared kit that i'd bought from the US, it basically allows turning the console on and off remotely via the standard xbox remote controls. I've got another 4 or 5 spare consoles, i might rig up another one for my computer room as i sent one back with the kids yesterday, eldest wanted her own multimedia console, they're fantastic things, wouldn't be without them.
    Oh and sometimes we have 3-way Halo or Halo2 matches over the network.

3. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I realize that there is a lot of shoddy coding. Vista/7 comparison is a very good example. But I seriously doubt that windows 7 could run SMOOTHLY on less than 512Mb. I'm not sure how to explain my thoughts, other than this:
    Are you suggesting that there is a code, that would allow windows 7 to run perfectly with only say, 64mb of ram?
    Please do not misunderstand. I'm neither irritated, nor angry, (almost impossible), i'm simply trying to find a way to express my thoughts.

4. creaky

No, just airing my frustration with Microsoft (for example). Some company's coders take the proverbial, personally i think they just take advantage of the fact that modern machines can utilise loads of memory, and relatively cheaply. I'm certainly not anti Microsoft but i'm here running 'Macpup Foxy 3.0' which is basically (the latest) Puppy Linux 4.30 and it and all it's programs run very lean indeed (in fact the whole point of Puppy is to run in a tiny footprint), i find i spend more time (and more productive time) in this freebie lean OS, as time goes on i'm less and less interested with Windows 7 (well apart from XP, i'm still fond of that, but only because it's so stable). This Puppy machine's a C2D but Puppy is also a joy to use on my P4 2GHz laptop with 512MB RAM and in fact is equally a joy to use on the Athlon 2800 with a gig RAM (however RAM means nothing as Puppy uses virtually none of it). Just fired up the Athlon as couldn't remember the usage and the OS itself is running in a mere 157MB :eek:

5. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Makes sense to me. I'd probably be guilty of the same, to push something onto the market, and then update it later ;p But that does seem wrong. Perhaps GTA IV's memory footprint, on windows platform is so large, because of the platform. I don't know much at all about programming, but something does seem logical about that. Can't wait til I can start programming. I try to read about programming every now and again, but it's hard to find time. Definitely not for the layman either! LOL!

I've had XP utilizing a mere 100Mb, but that was with nothing installed :p

6. creaky

I'm no programmer either, just shell & bash scripting, partly as it's pretty much required in my line of work and partly as it's actually fun to write things and see them work. I love working magic by manipulating files with loads of commands and trillions of command line switches, it's satisfying to see code produce something useful. I'll end by saying that if i was a programmer by trade, i certainly wouldn't be producing shoddy bloated code, no chance of that. Well shoddy maybe, but not bloated :p

7. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I should do some reading on that as well. Perhaps it'll open my mind more to programming. I've found when one think less about one thing, it comes easier to him/her later :)

8. greensman

greensman Regular member

Thanks mate!! ;)

9. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Well im confused LOL! Newegg has 2 different 955 Phenoms. And yet they're charging MORE for the supposedly inferior model. Unless they're in the process of changing they're prices ;) The cheaper model is supposedly the C3 stepping which runs cooler(Also has less reviews because it's newer). The C2 model is more expensive. Kind of strange! Looks like my future model came down a few more dollars :D

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...03674,N82E16819103808,N82E16819103696&bop=And

Last edited: Jan 26, 2010
  10. greensman

greensman Regular member

I say get the 945... it's the same price and runs at 95W which should be cooler and use less energy... It'll save ye money the first year it's in!! :D

11. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I like the idea of a black edition. More settings :) And not that much more for it! The heat and power are negligible. To me anyway ;)

Whoops! Actually, the 955 is cheaper...

12. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

That doesn't surprise me at all. Think about what they offered in 2008, they have come on leaps and bounds since then. However, they will have to work a lot harder to get their market share up much further. AMD had a hard time getting a good market share when their products were superior to Intel's, now that it's a pretty even match or even slightly the reverse, it's going to be tricky. Fortunately, consumer awareness about AMD is much higher now than it was back in the Athlon XP and Athlon 64 days, if they can only come out with something that, even if only for a short time, puts an Intel product to shame, they'll be laughing.

14. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yeah, Enermax stuff is pretty good these days, but it costs far too much.

16. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Now thats what I like to see!!! A manufacturer who's soo modest, they underrate there $h!t. I've had audio amplifiers like that too. If I had the money, I would definitely buy their stuff! :)

On another note, (Speaking of shoddy coding)CCE process windows is one of the most irritating processes. Constantly popping up OVER other tasks! Expensive software too!!!

17. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Yet another example of shoddy coding. I'm scanning a High Dpi document, and burning a data disc from the main OS drive. For whatever reason(Coding), the scanning software wants to use the main OS Drive for cache, rather than my Ample 8Gb of ram!!! (The scanned document is going to a Storage drive by the way). While burning, I hit the scan button, and watched the HDD buffer drop rapidly. Realizing what happened I chuckled. It was however able to maintain 10X burn speed, thanks to the wonderful Velociraptor :) It's still unacceptable though. If I were the coder, I would AT LEAST give the option between main HDD cache, or Ram. It's extremely rare to have a power failure during a scan. Even if it were to happen, would a person really attempt to recover a partial document from that cache? NO! they would simply rescan it!

Yes, I'm in a bad mood lately. I've just been served, for a 2 yrs old medical bill :p

18. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

Sam or OM7
    you both have the HAF 932. do either of you have your rollers on the bottom of it? i was wanting to knwo how toll it is with the rollers on it? this is most likely gonna be the deal breaker for me. on what case i get. i have roughly 21inches to play with where i have my case. my 690 now is 19 1/2 tall and i have about 2 1/2 inches above that before i hit the bottom of my desk... yea i know move the case.. but as of right now i have no place to move it to that would be in a safe place.

if not the 932, then im looking at the sniper or the 922.

19. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

My HAF 932 Hits 22 ½ inches without the wheels.

20. greensman

greensman Regular member

Robert is OUT... hehehee. :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.