1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread -3rd Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Rob,
    You might want to take a look at the Antec 900, for $99 w/free shipping! Nice case!
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129021

Russ

2. greensman

greensman Regular member

3. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

so 22 in without the wheels thats about another 2 inches so there is no way i can fit that under my desk like i have it now. bt without the wheels on i can get it under there snuggley..lol

im not to keen on the antec cases dont like the looks of them.
    that first lian-li GM posted, that is almost just like the 690.

plus im wanting one of the cases that is blacked out on the inside. saves me from painting it..lol thats the only reason im not wanting the 922 its not blacked out. looks like if i go with the 932 black i wont be able to use the wheels. gotta have them 6 odd bays

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Corsair will do that too :p Perhaps not 45% but in all honesty, drawing 1000W from a 700W PSU is damn nuts!
    While I'm not exactly anti-Enermax, I still recommend stuff like Corsair and Zalman over them, not just for the very high prices, but also since there have been quite a few complaints about poor life expectancy on a fair few Enermax units. The original Galaxy was the worst in recent times, but when the Modu82 was first released, there were plenty of reports of failure with those as well. While there was a very small batch of VX units that were prone to early failure with Corsair, on the whole I still see far fewer complaints, despite far more people using them.
    As for the scanning cache, that's not the reason he's not implemented that feature is it? and you know it :p
    The RAM is being used for the compression of the file. The actual file itself goes to the hard disk, since the uncompressed file is being worked with in memory. Adding code to use the RAM for the file too would, apart from being needlessly more complicated, also mean that systems with small amounts of memory would lag quite severely when scanning large images. Just because your PC can handle it doesn't mean every PC can handle it :p
    Rob: I have the wheels on the case, yes. They add ooh, maybe a little under an inch extra to the height. A product spec page will probably have the measurements somewhere.
    21.5" is not a lot for a full tower. The 932 is much bigger than the 690. If you have limited space, almost none of the full towers on the market will fit. The 922 will likely fit since it's a mid tower, but it's not that much of an upgrade from the 690 you already have. If you need more space, you're going to need to find somewhere else to put the system I'm afraid.
    Russ: The Antec Nine Hundred is slowly getting cheaper due to the popularity of it, but primarily because it has a successor, the Nine Hundred Two, which is better designed. The original had some horrid design flaws, and even the newer version is far from perfect. If you want a case like the 900 but better, the best case in my mind for that is the NZXT Tempest:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811146047
    If you want a case that's black on the inside Rob, you should be made aware that the 932 is not one of those cases :p
    There is a black interior version of the NZXT Tempest, the Tempest EVO - which is only $10 more, if you're interested - and comes with a side fan as standard unlike its predecessor:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811146062

5. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Most modern systems would be able to handle it. The largest 1200DPI document I've scanned was 350Mb. When I'm scanning, there is zero compression(Bitmap). I only let Photoshop handle my compression needs.

Rob, the power and reset buttons are at 22 ½in. If you don't have at least ¾ - 1" above that, then resetting or powering up could become tedious LOL!

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Indeed, uncompressed images are typically 24MB per megapixel. Still, you wouldn't want a 15 megapixel scan on a system with 512MB of RAM. They do still exist :p
    Valid point about the power buttons being on the top :p

7. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Ha ha! I did say I wish I had the option, to dump it to ram though. In MY case, it would sure be nice. But then, I usually don't burn data from my OS drive anyhow. In fact, it's extremely rare. After this mishap, I probably never will again LOL!

8. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

My OCZ StealthXStream 600W could easily do 700+. My 620HX has done an extended period of 750+. And my 550VX I haven't tested but I'm fairly sure it can break 700.

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

That's a.c. draw though surely?

10. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

No DC output tested on a high end load bank. Safeties in the PSU trip and turn it off when it goes too high and neither PSU tripped over the entire session. Mind you the "extended period" on my 620HX was 2 days. Have had both tested PSUs in for a check up since then on the same machine and they both run perfectly.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2010
  11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Hmm, the 700 from the OCZ is reasonable, but 750 from the HX surprises me, the tests I saw were 700 or less. That said, load bank tests are often 'open box' which means less harsh operating conditions. In a real world PC case which is far warmer, things are much more stressful :p

12. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I'm interested in knowing exactly what you used :D
    TIA

13. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

It's apparently the same load bank Silent PC Review uses. I will agree though that the loads weren't as dynamic nor the temps very high. But then again my PSU never run hot anyway. Never had a noisy or hot one :p At least not in recent years.

14. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

well i currently have a 3.6GHz E5200 so i assume i wont need to upgrade to i3/i5 yet, and with battlefeild coming out soon, from my 4870 512MB (at 1920x1200) what would be my best upgrade? i really cant see much point in jumping to 4890, as its only a few percent upgrade, and the 5850 are way over priced.

anything inbetween? or should i get a second hand 4870 and CF it?

how much will the 5830 be? any indication on performance?

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Well, PSUs these days are more efficient, so produce far less waste heat. Also, they are typically fitted with high (maximum) speed fans. They may run quiet normally, but stress them enough and the fans will run pretty fast. Same goes for almost all PSUs except some ultra-silent versions (Since the minimum noise of a fan drops with the maximum speed).
    A 3.6Ghz E5200 is only a limiting factor in CPU-intensive games that accept more than 2 threads. Whilst numerous games use multiple threads (Left 4 Dead 2 for example does), they don't always need them (The CPU ceiling for a Q9550 in l4D2 is an average fps of around 150 even at stock)
    Given the potential pitfalls of crossfire versus the performance (and more importantly, heat output) of new cards, I would say you'd be better off buying a new single DX11 card rather than crossfiring the existing 4870.
    The HD5850 is not at all overpriced, but it is expensive. The HD5830's performance and price should in theory be something along the lines of a halfway point between the HD5770 and HD5850 for price, and a 60% point between the HD5670 and HD5850 for performance. In other words, it will probably cost £180 and perform like a GTX285. However, there's no info to base that assumption on, so we will see.

16. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Oh they definitely got loud when testing but I have never heard my PSUs over the rest of the PC. Which is pretty quiet.

17. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

yeah. well ill be waiting till when battlefeild comes out as it is, and unless the beta turns out crap (had to get the beta key with a pre roder which im not happy with but play dont take money out till they ship so i can cancel it no problem, now just waiting on beta key) ill probably upgrade then.

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I'd quite like to see some benchmarks of BFBC2 actually. It doesn't worry me for performance at all, but it may influence how I plan both my and other people's upgrades.

19. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Hey, since this is the building thread, if anyone has a socket 939 motherboard that they might wish to part with, I have a young friend in need! He has an Athlon 64 4000+ and 2GB of DDR ram! He doesn't have a lot of money, and I'm doing the work for free. He had a Biostar 6100-M9 originally, but parts of it have slowly quit. Now his PCI slots no longer work, so he no longer has a working sound card. I gave him the sound card because the on board sound quit. It's about 5 years old and I'm trying to find him something to keep him in a computer until times are better.

If anybody has one sitting around collecting dust, please PM me!

Thanks,
    Russ

20. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

ok guys im just about ready to hit the buy button on the last 3 parts i need for my COMPLETE second build. just about have enough money to get all three with in the week. the only thing need now is a PSU. here are some ive looked at and like they all are close in price so im good with either one. just wanting any info if anyone has one of these, as to how they perform, which may be better than the other. when i say that i would like stats to back it up, and yes personal choice to. i know each has there own favorite brand and such i want to know those also. now for a little background on what i have and going where. this first list is going to be my rig ill just list the parts to what i have for it.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...DeactivatedMark=False&ActiveSearchResult=True

GA-EP45-UD3P(ordering within a week)
    Q9550(got it)
    PNY 8800gts(got it)
    G-skill ddr2 1066(got it)
    OCZ Vendetta 2 cooler(got it)
    wd 250gb hdd,wd gp 500gb,wd1001fals (got them)
    AD7200S,AD7220S(got them)maybe get AD7240S x2
    PSU (still need to decide which one, ordering with mobo and case)
    CM 932,922,or scout havent made my mind up yet.

and my 2nd rig for the boys.

GA-EP45-DS3R(JUNK)
    E8400(left at stock)
    CM 912 hyper(lapped)
    or AC freezer pro7 which ever i pick up first to put on.
    evga 7600gt
    Mushkin ddr2 800
    seagate 250gb hd
    corsair tx650w psu
    20A4p & AD7200A burners
    CM RC690

the 2nd rig i have everything now. just needs to be put together once i get my other parts.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.