1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread -3rd Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. greensman

greensman Regular member

Robert lemme be of some help and a possible money saver too. ;) Just get a VX-550 for your "old" rig and stick that TX-650 in your new rig.. It'll do the job for sure!! :) NOW if you wanna spend the extra cash get the 620... ME loves the modular PSU's. ;)

You get my post about cases the other day?? There were some good ones in there besides the CM's. :p I like the 'less' expensive Lian Li cases as well as the HIGH dollar ones. lol. ;)

good luck buddy... NOT like you'll need it but hey I"m being nice. :p

add: I meant HX-650, it's cheaper right now. ;)

Last edited: Jan 29, 2010
  2. greensman

greensman Regular member

Here's a few others to consider as well.. in your price range so to say and decent PSU's if you ask me. )

600W-700W psu's

3. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

yea i seen your post about the cases. i replied to it. that lian-li you linked to looks like our 690. to me anyways it does..lol

as for the PSU. for my rig i want the modular

the corsair has the 620 & 650w and CM has the silent pro 600w are these enough power for what i have. yea i know i have a 650w now but im thinking of the lower watage ones.

4. greensman

greensman Regular member

I remember that response now. ;)

I narrowed down the PSU's above to Modular only as that seems the most likely fit for your rig atm. ;)

600-700 PSU's for Robert

Maybe not the answer you were wanting but at least it gives you something more to look at. :p And yes the 600W units are enough power. ;)

5. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

the thing is the HX 620 is now a good few years old and nto as efficient as the newer ones.

6. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

/covers the ears of his trusty 3yr old HX 620

7. greensman

greensman Regular member

Good for you creaky... you protect that thing from the VOICE of Sammy!!! hehehee. :p

8. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

9. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

think im gonna go with the corsair HX650 i can get one from micro center but $10 more but no shipping. as for the case im leaning towards the scout. but im thinking it isnt as wide as the 690 and my OCZ vendetta might not fit in there. i cant see paying almost $20 for shipping on a case. microcenter has the 922 which would be fine but they want $50 more than newegg. i still havent ruled out the 932. i just got a exact measurement under my desk i have 23 in to play with. plus that is on carpet so it will sink down some once in place.

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Heh, dead Socket 939 board was the reason I upgraded to 775 for my file server. It was so expensive to source a replacement board I decided to upgrade instead. Unfortunately all I would have to offer are boards that met the same demise, but after a substantially shorter timespan...
    Rob: The coolermaster SilentPro units are, unlike almost every other CM unit, actually very quiet, and they seem to perform reasonably well electrically. The HX 620W is no longer in production for most countries, replaced by the 650HX, hence the absurdly high price of the old unit. The 650HX is still the unit I would have the most confidence in, but why such an overkill PSU for such a system? You only need buy 400-450W unit for any system that is anything but a high-end gaming rig. Even an overclocked i7 with an HD5770 and several hard drives will be fine on a 400W CX. If you are after silent though, I would recommend either the 450VX or a Nexus Value 430W, since the CX400 is quite a noisy unit.

I have no problems with the 620W HX unit at all, even if it is a little inefficient it's so quiet and reliable I'd still be recommending it if it were available and reasonably priced. Sadly it's neither of those things.
    Seriously though, I do go on the offensive for the use of 650W units in PCs that only use 140-150W. It's a colossal waste of money...

As for the 6-core AMDs, it's a 2.8Ghz Phenom II with 6 cores instead of 4, and a huge 140W TDP. For truly multi-threaded apps it may come in handy, but at the sort of performance that's going to put out, I wouldn't mind betting even a Core i7 860 would give it a run for its money for less than 70% of the TDP, and a relatively similar price.
    If AMD had been able to get the full 3.4Ghz of the 965BE into it and keep the 140W TDP it would have been exciting. As it is, I'm unimpressed. Sorry AMD, try harder.

11. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I'm in a similar situation. I have an old gateway here "GT4010". I believe it's 939. Only opened it and tested it once. Im pretty sure the guy gave it to me at this point(extremely nice guy). I've had it sitting here well over 1 yr. With not even a word about it. I do recall its a µBTX board, which is an abandoned form factor I believe. I've seen replacements for more than 200$ on ebay. Apparently a collectors item LOL!
    I'm afraid I nearly agree with sam. Upgrading may be a wiser decision. But I will NOT throw away this gateway LOL! I'm sure a deal will come along ;) Besides, it was never said that the PC is mine, so I will assume that he still wants it. I'm currently looking at other µBTX boards, but they seem to be pretty scarce or expensive. This tower may be doomed...

12. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

13. greensman

greensman Regular member

NOT finding anything right now.... this case has free shipping and is on your list. ;)

14. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

yea i know i just found that myself... im just wanting that full tower. we like all that space in there to move around parts with ease..lol

makes me wonder. here are the deminsions for the 932 and then the 922

932=L22.70" x W9.00" x H21.50"

922=L22.20" x W10.00" x H19.70"

looks like im gonna go with the 922. just buy an additional 200x200x30mm red led that goes with it for $20.

15. greensman

greensman Regular member

I thought you might like that deal. ;)

FREE shipping is always a PLUS!! :D

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yeah, having seen the Storm Sniper in person it's quite a nice case, much like a smaller version of the HAF, but with more of a gamers feel with blue lighting than the HAF's more industrial look with minimalistic front red lighting. The HAF922 is pretty damn nice, if anything better looking than the HAF932, but it does lack side ventilation as standard.

17. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

thats why im gonna get the additonal fan for the side panel..
    i would love to get the sniper but i think in the long haul the price for the 922 i cant pass up

GM take a close look at the new CM RC690 II they have made some big time changes to that case. power and rest are now no the top of the case instead of the front side. there is only 4 odd bays due to them raising the fan mount up a couple inches. but there is now 6 hdd bays instead of 5. the side panel can now hold 4 different sized fans instead of 2 like ours plus it is blacked out inside... almost makes me want to get it... but if i cant get it for the price i paid for my 690 i dont want it...LMAO!!!!

18. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Shaff,
    Historically, AMD has brought out a number of processors that seemed less than great, when they first came out. Look at the Phenom II 940BE as a recent example. Today's 940BE will eat the original alive. It also overclocks better and runs cooler too! Bear in mind, that these improvements are the result of the refinements made in the chip manufacturing process, as nothing major has been changed at all in the design architecture, aside from the addition of C3 stepping for the 955BE/965BE. These chips consume less power and overclock better than their C2 stepping counterparts.

As far as I'm concerned, the chip to buy at the moment from AMD is the Phenom II 955BE. It comes with the C3 stepping and doesn't need excessive voltage to get to 4.0GHz!
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103808
    At $161, it's the best all around deal for an AMD Quad. I know I'm getting tempted! LOL!!

Russ

19. greensman

greensman Regular member

I was looking at the Storm Scout and it's pretty good for $79.99 delivered.. :)

20. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

the scout is to small seen it worked on it. not for all the stuff i have to jam in it..lol

$115.96 shipped.

Rob
    UPS Ground

1 x ($19.99) CASE FAN CM| R4-LUS-07AR-GP RT - Retail $19.99
    1 x ($89.98) CASE CM|RC-922M-KKN1-GP BK RT - Retail $89.98

Subtotal: $109.97
    Tax: $0.00
    Shipping and Handling: $5.99
    Total Amount: $115.96

hopefully monday or tuesday of next week the tax man will have been here and the mobo and PSU will be on the way..lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.