1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread -3rd Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

No Sam, the same heart! Remember when I irritated you to overclock you AMD processors and you were reluctant to do it? Your concern was legitimate when one looks at expense but you walked past that point anyway. That's why I made you a mod, you were concerned about what was in front of you, not what seems to be the right answer.

2. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Whatever Soph, I'm not going to argue with you. Any objective person can see what I' talking about. I respect you, but you're stubborn as hell!

3. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

True when seeking truth!

I'm not certain what you're or were talking about with your previous statements. All that we have in this world is the use of language. It's the bridge between ideas! I merely took what you said and what Sam said which weren't congruent, and then elucidated on their obvious differences.

I am bit of a perfectionist, a flaw which my wife was never able to overcome, but has learn to accept.

True! But it's easy to be stubborn when one is right!

4. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

LOL

Look through again. Basically we were talking about Raid0. Then YOU YOURSELF said it's needed for some things, among which you listed an Internet server.

Then Sam said, why use RAID0 for Internet Server? It's a bad idea.

5. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

I read through again and no where did I see a good description of what is a RAID.

It was this specific quote that attracted my attnention.

Internet services do indeed require redundancy, but that kind of redundancy has absolutely nothing to do with RAID0. They are black and white services.

6. mrk44

mrk44 Guest

Going off this RAID topic.....I need some case fans.
    Sammorris: Did you keep your blackline case fans, or did you replace them? I feel like I need better ventilation...
    Can anyone recommend a high performance (and if possible, SILENT) 120mm fan I can get for the back and side of my case? And one for the TRUE as well?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2008
  7. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

To some degree what you will choose depends on your mother boards fan plugs. If you have more than one plug with 4 pins then you should choose a fan when possible with PWM (pulse width modulation) because it allows your system to control its speeds and ergo its noise.

Scythe makes a good silent fan with PWM.

8. mrk44

mrk44 Guest

Besides my CPU fan, I have one other 4 pin fan plug, so I will only be able to control the speed of one of my case fans.
    Can you give me a link or the name of a good scythe fan (Will this also be good for the TRUE?)?

9. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

lol

Just get a Silverstone FM121 and full it at full speed ;)

P.S. That's actually a bad idea.

10. mrk44

mrk44 Guest

LOL no thanks...good luck with yours....lol

But seriously, I need a some fans here.

11. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Sorry, my control over the English language wavers at times.

I hear the Antec fans are pretty good.

12. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sophocles,
    Back in the very late 80's I was a huge Computer Shopper fan! The first time I ever heard the term RAID, it was explained as Redundant Arrays of Inexpensive Drives. The main idea at the time was to take a bunch of inexpensive smaller drives and make one large drive that was faster than an equivalent sized expensive large drive, hence the name! They even had several articles in the Shopper under that title, by the inventor of RAID!

Russ

13. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Then it hasn't been long since you've heard of a RAID. The first one that I heard was "Redundant Array of individual disks." Back when RAID's were firs conceived drives were not inexpensive.

It's like VHS, which is now referred to as Video Home System, but when I was marketing them it was Vertical Helical Scan. Try and Google that one. LOL

14. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

mrk44,
    All joking aside, the Silverstone FM-121 is one of the best case fans you can buy. It's capable of moving huge amounts of air at low rpms. I have tested a lot of fans over the last 3 years or so and unless you are interested in a Silent PC, there's nothing else I've found yet that does a better job! If you ever found a reason to run them at full speed, your problem is not the fan! It moves more air at 800 rpm than a typical 120mm case fan does at full speed! Like I said, it's basically set and forget! I plan to install one in the AMD (since there's room for more holes), and do away with that screaming 92mm cooling it now. It should be whisper quiet as it's a single fan case!

Russ

Last edited: Aug 2, 2008
  15. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

16. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sophocles,
    As far as I know they still make both fans. At the same speed if the specs are to be believed for the FN, they make about the same amount of noise but the FM moves more air at 1200 rpm! As near as I can see there is a male and female Molex plug and a wire that goes to a fan header to show the fan speed. There is no PWM 4 pin plug! Silverstone's site makes no mention of it either!
    http://www.silverstonetek.com/products/p_spec.php?pno=fn121&area=usa

Best Regards,
    Russ

17. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

lol

I remember when I figured out why they called it male and female cables.

6th grade lol.

18. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

The Fn version has PWM which will be much quieter in practical use.

19. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Seems to me that both have PWM, but one of them can use the Motherboard fan control and the other one requires the fan controller.

20. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.