1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread -3rd Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I don't drink... lmao.

2. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

That's why I said it. Beer can be quite the video enhancer thingymabob.

3. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

i thought thats weed?

oh well, i wouldnt know.

labaree IS a parrallel CPU with ALOT of cores (talking near 50) these will all be pentium 1 cores, as about 10 of them can fit into a 1 45nm penryin C2D, and give better performance for parallel proccessing.

this way intel can keep adding cores, and wont need TMUs and ROPS etc. these cores will be all the ALU and will do shaders/tessellation aswell.

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Ah, the classic intel approach. "Well, we've reached the end of the road with our cores, so let's have more of them".
    I have to admit, despite the fact they're slower chips, AMD's R&D is so much more intelligent.

5. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Actually, my bad. It seems this WILL be a separate video card.

So while they improve tech on their CPUs they will be doing this on their video cards. Hey, whatever works.

6. mrk44

mrk44 Guest

Well, it looks like Intel has screwed me over....
    I get an email saying my replacement shipped, now I get another one saying to disregard the previous one, and that they are out of stock of q9450's......they will get them in stock by AUGUST 27th!!!!! WTF?!?!? How do they run out of their own CPUs?!?

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Happens a lot actually, returns departments only get allocated certain batches of CPUs, if they have a particularly high amount of returns they aren't authorised to 'pinch' any more from the product lines to fill demand, so leave you waiting.

8. mrk44

mrk44 Guest

great.....i'm going to have to wait 23 more days in addition to the 8 I already waited for a total of 31 days.....

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2008
  9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Exactly a month, not too bad. It's going to be another two months before I can upgrade... :p

10. mrk44

mrk44 Guest

sammorris: At least you can use your build, I'm stuck using an old computer w/ a pentium 4 that constantly runs at 64C....

And I got a reply from a source at nVidia about the articles regarding the nVidia chipsets....
    Quote: "Stop reading that bull-s***." (w/o the asterisks)
    I guess it's not true then??

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

We shall see. The result comes as a surprise to me, but nvidia's PR are idiots so we'll see what happens.

12. mrk44

mrk44 Guest

13. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

mrk44,
    I just got off the phone with XFX, a very close partner of nVidias! I have a couple of friends that work there and they confirm the reports. They've all been going nuts trying to figure out where xFX stands in all of this. XFX is concerned because they have a number of SLI MBs with nVidia chipsets that don't work right now! It also seems that Intel will not grant a license to nVidia to adapt nVidia's chipsets to the coming Intel platform (X58) for the purpose of enabling SLI! SLI won't work with the QPI bus! The N-Force 200 chip is a dead issue, if they can't get a license to use it!

Nvidia chipsets are known for issues with data corruption as well as some other problems. Considering long-time troubles, packaging problems and the lack of QPI license, it is hardly a surprise that mainboard makers are not enthusiastic about Nvidia chipsets! MSI and Abit may well be the next MB manufacturers to drop the 7xx series chipsets from their lineup! That's the scuttlebutt from XFX!

I can understand Intel's thinking here as it would be a step backward for the technology as the N-Force 200 is a Kludge and would be a handicap for other aspects of the new technology. Add to that the 80% market share Intel chipsets enjoy with Intel motherboards, it's pretty easy to see good reason for all we've heard, to be true!

The only market thats left to nVidia at the moment is AMD, and Via! The ATi chipset has grown 16.6% in the last year alone, while the nVidia chipsets have lost 13.7%. Given the Ati chipsets rapid and continuing growth at more than 1.3% a month along with nVidia's decline at right around 1% a month, nVidia chipsets don't have much of a future with AMD, what with Ati being part of AMD!

Best Regards,
    Russ

14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Doesn't look like it includes a backplate, I'd avoid it for that reason. The only reason it will cool better than a TRUE is the faster fan speed, at the same fan speed, it will at best be a couple of degrees better, and with no backplate, no go.

Russ: Interesting stuff, thanks for providing that input. What of SLI now then? Is it dead in the water?

Last edited: Aug 4, 2008
  15. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

nvidia are not allowed to make intel mobos, (they can still make AMD) BUT they have agreed to allow X58 mobo manus to buy the n-force 200 chipset to implement into the board ala skulltrial. this would need an extra 2 layaer on the PCB, and be extremely hot and costly.

they could have done the same for the x48, and infact, CF works on the nvidia boards, as its mainly a driver supported feature, where SLI needs the nforce chipset, and HP were using systems where they jsut used one 680i mobo for both SLI systems and CF.

but we shall see, maybe later on intel will have a change of heart, OR if Nvidia buy out Via, they could start a rival business.

16. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

why would that be sam, why not the fact that the heatpipes acutually touch the IHS? (or is it a gimmick, like most things?)

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Didn't nvidia already buy SiS?

Shaff: Given the conductivity of a copper block, I don't really see what's to be gained by using the heatpipes themselves, it would surely provide an uneven coverage of the heatspreader?

Last edited: Aug 4, 2008
  18. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

doesnt it just provide the video chipset for sis?

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Possibly. As far as I can see, SiS still exists as a brand.

20. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

what is the TRUE, nickle? or aluminIum (no americans that last I is not a spelling mistake :p)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.