1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread -3rd Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    No offense Mate, but why do we have to have any comparison about a sale item at a good price. I could see the point if the price was the same, but the ATi is $40+ more. For someone like me the 8800GT is a perfect upgrade at just a couple of dollars more than I paid for the 7600GT! There are other folks here, like me who don't game much and a $129 8800GT with 512MB GDR3 is a very worthy upgrade for someone not wanting to spend more than he needs, to to greatly improve their video. I know the ATi is the better card, but all I'm looking to do is upgrade my video for as little as possible, and I sure don't want to spend an additional $41.45 to do it!

Best Regards,
    Russ

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

That's fair enough, but not everybody's in the same boat. A fair few people would think that $40 extra for a huge increase in performance quite reasonable.

3. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

right, to anyone i offended im sorry, i was meerly point out spelling differences which we did a week back on another thread (the x1950XT thread) and it was a laugh then.

if i knew pointing out spelling differnces between the UK an US would hurt your patriotism, then i wouldnt have said it. im sorry, its just a spelling difference.

DDP, i never meant harm, how was i meant to know a spelling difference was meant to cause unrest, maybe i shouldnt say "soccer" is wrong, its acutally football :p HAHA.

4. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Russ, the 8800GT is still a very good card. The ATI 4850 DOES offer a MUCH better price/performance ratio, but the 8800GT is good.

Hell, last time I bought one for myself it cost me 200!

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

To clarify this, for people like you Russ, the 8800GT still is a very good value card and well worth the purchase. However, I'm always paranoid when I state a bit of advice to someone in particular in a public forum, as people scout the forums but don't necessarily post or go "I've bought this, is it any good?" are noobs, but they can't help themselves - so I help them instead, by making sure they know what their options are.
    Using a reasonable resolution and not playing Crysis, the 8800GT is still more than adequate for anyone, but when you up the res or include silly games like Crysis and AoC, the 4850 does make a lot of sense for the extra few dollars.

6. greensman

greensman Regular member

Went to the website and sent an email to the Danamics company. ;) Hopefully they answer in a timely manner and have some good news to boot. :)

....gm

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Hopefully so, I need someone to prove me right for what I said on the NZXT forum lol. I said 'I would like a response within 2 days' and they all said I was mad and that it never happens...

8. greensman

greensman Regular member

ROFL... Well you are MAD and I bet it doesn't happen either. lol. :p btw I'm on day 3 (i think) with ASUS email system. lol. I requested an RMA for the Striker Extreme and hopefully I'll get some sort of answer sometime this month. pssffffttttt..... lol.

....gm

9. mrk44

mrk44 Guest

I am just about to buy my case fans right now....
    Three choices left, and I just want some final opinions before I buy if that's okay:

1. COOLER MASTER Y720DCD-25T1-GP 120MM BLUE LED SILENT FAN 110CFM 16DBA
    2. SILENX IXP-74-14B BLUE LED IXTREMA PRO 120MM X 25MM 14DBA 72CFM FAN
    3. ANTEC TRICOOL120-BLU 120MM TRICOOL CASE FAN 39/56/79CFM 25/28/30DBA - BLUE LED

I don't have the FM121 up there because the CM is basically the same fan....

Thanks for all the help and suggestions on these fans!

Also sammorris: Did you find the need replace ALL the case fans on the blackline? Because I am thinking of replacing all three.... And will adding an 80mm exhaust fan to the empty bottom vent do much??

And theonejrs: If you are going to buy that 8800 GT, use this coupon code: EMCAJAFAE Ten bucks off...

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 5, 2008
  10. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

mrk44,
    Of the three, The Cooler Master is the best choice. Forget the Silenx, your ears will thank you! 14dBA?? maybe from 25 feet! They Lie!! Ask Sam! The Antec's are OK but if you need higher speeds to get the airflow up, it's much louder then the CM at the same cfm!

BTW! The CM is made by Silverstone to CM's specs! Doesn't look like they've changed much! LOL!! It's still way quieter at just about any given useful cfm than the other 2.

Best Regards,
    Russ

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Agreed on avoiding SilenX, they're rubbish.
    Sorry for sporadic responses, my email notifications aren't working...

Mrk: I haven't replaced any of the stock fans in my Blackline yet, they do the job well enough for my server. All five fans are different in my Normal lexa though, in search of silence above anything else.

12. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

in regards to case fans, my choice would be the antec tricool. if you don't have enough mobo fan headers to run/control all your case fans at least with them you have your choice of 3 speeds. no need for fan speed controllers. tricools are what I use and as most here know I don't do fan speed controllers (excess wire and clutter).

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Agreed on Tricools being decent fans. They can't quite match the airflow/noise ratio of the Scythe S-Flexes, but they're still decent, and as Mort mentioned, have their own fan controller of sorts that doesn't clutter up your case.

14. krj15489

krj15489 Active member

15. mrk44

mrk44 Guest

Thanks for your opinions! I think I'm gonna go with the Cooler Master because of the less noise at the same cfm than the antec.
    I also found one of that antec for about $10 incl/ship that I wanna get just to try to compare and have as a spare...
    Also...I don't have a cpu in my PC at the moment and I wanted to know (is this a stupid question?)...is there any way I can get these fans running w/o my whole computer turning on (which it won't anyway?...)???

16. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

They fans should all run, even without a CPU. I THINK.

I remember someone saying a Motherboard wont turn on if there is no CPU in it. So Maybe not. Try it out and let me know haha.

17. mrk44

mrk44 Guest

Well, I tried it, and the motherboard and everything else ran. But that's pretty much it...it ONLY turned on...nothing on screen...
    Only thing is that video card spins at full rpm at startup, and since there is no cpu, it keeps running at full rpm, so it's difficult to test noise level w/o taking it out...

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 5, 2008
  18. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

Question?
    oh btw i apologize for yesterday. bad day for me i went off for no good reason. i hope i didnt piss off to many of you. i take all responseability for what went down yesterday.

now my question
    quad cores. even if your not useing a program that works all four cores, can you run say 2 programs at once and use all 4 cores that way or will it only try to run on 2 cores?
    say i want ot use dvd-rebuilder(CCE) and play COD4 at the same time will it use all 4 cores or just 2? would i see a slowdown???

19. greensman

greensman Regular member

Rob this is really conjecture but I'm gonna reply anyway. lol. :p

I don't think you would see a problem with DVD RB... BUT COD4 might have some issues. Of course I really can't "confirm" this since I don't have a Quad rig running right now. lol. I would like to know actually.... /me runs into self-thinking mode and says... Quad is setting right there.... try it.... lol. :p

any of you Quad boys got an answer to that.... DeadRum??? what about Morty or abcd/ZoSo?? Come on fellas... RedRob needs some answers. lol.

...gm

20. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Quad cores are toted as the Multitasking CPU. So even if you dont have a program that uses all four cores, I think what you are saying is what the CPU does.

Say one program uses two cores. You can have another one using the other two, so you use up all four cores.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.