The Official PC building thread -3rd Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. greensman

greensman Regular member

rick5446 you need to lemme know what's going on.... It sounds as tho you have some issues or the flash didn't complete. If you can PM me with the particulars I bet we can get this right... even if you post here that's fine too!! I have 3 of the Lite-On DH-20A3P drives and 2 of them started as Sony's. ;) I've flashed them all plenty of times and I'm fairly confident the "issue" can be solved. ;) tia....

Russ
    I've only found a couple of mobos for the 939 socket in the past few months and they were Foxconn and Foxconn IIRC.... lol.

Here's something from TD. linky

ADD: and yet another 939 beauty... lol. linky to xpcgear

they're coming out of the woodwork... lol. linky to who knows?? lol

Sorry Sammy..... doesn't look good for the 939 Socket mobos.... :(

...gm

add: post #2999.... :D

Sammy here's something at OCUK... ;) linky

Last edited: Aug 7, 2008
  2. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

greensman,
    With the choices you gave, the Asus Crossfire one is pretty good. It may only use DDR, but the Satas are 3.0! does CrossFire in 8x mode, and you can overclock it! Also does RAID! It's better than any socket 939 MB I've seen in the last 6 months or so!

Hey Sam,
    I know it's Asus, but this MB is the best 949 I've seen in quite a while. It's the best of the two 939s GM linked!
    http://www.amamax.com/asmoa8atirdc.html
    You already have everything else, so why build a C2D and a quad now, when a new MB is 55 Pounds or so? Save your money for what will happen when Nehalem hit's! It should do some interesting things to the prices of the higher end C2Ds and Quads. Should be some sweet prices too!

Best Regards,
    Russ

3. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

greensman..I did PM U
    It stated it finished & I rebooted. But to no Avail

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2008
  4. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

DVD talk is fine, as is hard drive talk, it's interesting and relevant (well as long as it doesn't dwell too long on the RPM speed of drives - that gets almost as tedious as GPU talk). You lot are safe (from me anyway) in the GPU thread as i would rather watch paint dry (or pull teeth) than read post after post after post about darned GPU cards, it must be my age (but even as a young 'un i only upgraded GPU's when they were past it and i certainly didn't talk endlessly about them and i most certainly didn't/wouldn't spend obscene amounts of money on them - they're way too overpriced anyway, deliberately so concerning how more reasonable most other components are).

5. greensman

greensman Regular member

Didn't get email notification for some reason. :) Just PM'd back.

Good luck...

Russ those choices that I gave seemed like pretty good ones to me. ;) I know that Sammy doesn't like a certain vendor or two but if he needs to fix one of his rigs he may have to "swallow his pride" and do the RIGHT thing. hehehe. :p

....gm

post # 3000 .... can you believe it?? About 500 more to go to make ADDICT...... hehehe... :p

6. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

you sure only 500... there was about 1900 of the 3000 in them SV's...lmao.sorry buddy just haven some fun with ya.

is there a different cable for E-sata and regular sata? i have 8 sata plugins on my mobo. 2 are E-sata. i tried to plug one of my ODD into the E-sata plugin on the mobo,and it went all crazy on me....

7. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

:O

TAKE....THAT....BACK...NOW....!!!! :p i joke :D

have you seen the GPU thread recently, we have moved on, its now become the gun thread. we should have a rename :D

GPUs are the driving force :)

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

theone: Tell me about it, I don't want 'untested' or heavily used boards off ebay, or I'm only going to get the same problem shortly after...

The A8R-MVP is the board I had that failed, so I don't want another one of those, they're also notorious for the fault mine has, according to google.
    £55 is a lot, when I stand to make at least something by selling the remains of this system, and if I stuck a cheap E2100 chip in it instead, I could get a 775 mobo, CPU and RAM for £100.

Rob: Yes there is, e-SATA is bigger than normal S-ATA, I tried that once and found out the hard way too!

9. greensman

greensman Regular member

Told you RedRob.. :p

Sammy if you put it that way I'd go with the newer tech and call it a win!!! If you have the ability to sell the equipment you have now then I'd do it quickly. :) What cpu do you have btw?? The GM just happens to have a 939 mobo... :D

.....gm

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

An X2 4200+. That part of it at least is fully working. You want it? :p

11. greensman

greensman Regular member

HECK yeh!!!! SEnd it on!!! Let's make a deal is about to happen!!! PM me to see if we can get this done!! :D

....gm

12. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Well I finally got my Sony Optiarc AD7190A converted and working. It now does Bitsetting in NERO..hear is the proper Firmware 20A3P.XY12.stock.exe, that I used
    This was the 1st drive of its kind, and put together by LITE-ON 4 Sony. Even though it says NEC

13. icemen

icemen Regular member

is ther any way I can retrieve my music & photo's from my old computer? I had a Medion 8383 which died on me, I have now bought a new computer & want to get my stuff off the harddrive of the old machine but it doesn't even power on?

14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

You could stick the hard disk from the old pc in your new one, or if you're not allowed to open it for warranty reasons, buy a USB external enclosure and put it in there instead.

15. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

greensman,
    It won't work in your office AMD if that's what you're thinking! Just so you know, the one you have now is socket AM-2, not a socket 939!

Sorry,
    Russ

16. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

not to forget ones across the pond, so send it wont be worth the bother as itll cost more, than just buying it brand new/ebay

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

It's not actually that much to send small items internationally, it barely costs any more than regular domestic post, which is why couriers like citylink seem such a rip-off.
    I had a quote to send an HDD to russia once, Perm no less, not even close to the mainland european border, and it came out at something like 7 or 8 quid.
    For a tiny CPU I'm sure the shipping cost will be quite reasonable.

Oh, and for you doubters, I quote:

18. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

IICR sending a GBA cartridge over to emarica, in a wooden box was about a £10 from parcle force, so you may be correct, i just forgot about that.

but then sending a corsair PSU to NL is about £20 :( (and the Be Quiet! aswell) where as enermax and tagan have UK RMA centres :)

oh antec is also NL, but i have heard great things from their RMA department, it even rivals crucial and Hipers.

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yes but PSUs are big and heavy, that's to be expected.

20. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    There was no doubt involved! He had just mentioned the other day about maybe putting a 64x2 in the one in his office, and that's a socket AM-2! he never mentioned a socket 939 MB!

Russ

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.