1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread -3rd Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Does he really need to spend so much on a Mobo? With Nehalem coming out at the end of October.

2. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

abuzar.
    first. yes were good.
    second. it will be a couple years i know for sure before i think of a Nehalem build.. just to costly and the fact with my luck i will get the experiment parts..lol

im gonna get a P45 board for sure. if not here in a couple weeks for my b-day christmas for sure no questions asked. so when i do that. i might also get me the E8600 too.(that at christmas time though)

the rampage fromula is only $30 more than the P5Q Premium im looking at. so in anothe 4 months it will be down(i think)

3. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Well if you're in for a new CPU I would recommend a Q9450. I personally think it's better value.

4. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

for what i do i dont know if a quad would benefit me or not? i dont have any programs that can use 4 core.. well none that i know of...

5. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

DVD Rebuilder uses ALL four cores Robert, and it does make a difference. I agree the quad-core is the way to go i mean 12MB L2 Cache how can you go wrong man!

6. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

lol i'll just have to see how much the Q9550 is in 3-4 months i feel some twisting of the arm ;)

7. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Either that or the Q9450. Those P45s overclock awfully well lol.

8. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

ive been reading alot about the p45 chipsets. they are a overclockers dream.

isnt the 4/8pin plugin from the PSU for the CPU? if you have a 8pin plugin on your board should you use all 8 pins? provides more power to the cpu? if this is true and my thinking is right. my board only has the 4 pin plugin(psu has 8pin plug4+4) could that contribute to the fact that my cpu isnt getting enough power and is running warm cause of it?????? just a theroy???

heres my board with only the 4 pin plugin
    http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/Enlarge_image/Enlarge_image.jsp?ProductCode=10007760

heres the P45-DS3R
    http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/Enlarge_image/Enlarge_image.jsp?ProductCode=10008670

Last edited: Aug 7, 2008
  9. greensman

greensman Regular member

RedRob,
    P45 mobo or "better". lol. ;)

Here's the response from the Danamics rep. ;)

Well is seems that we don't know yet. ;) I'll be curious to know when it's released but I haven't signed up for the news letter yet. ;)

@mrk44,
    I would go ahead with the TRU(E) or something similar. ;) Good luck with your choices. :D

....gm

10. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

If it has 8pin power adapter then use it. According to Russ, it will work with 4pins, but it's recommended to use 8.

GM, nothing better(currently) than P45 or OCing.

11. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

just found out some info about my board...on the 1.0 and 2.0 revisons on the board it doesnt say 45hm supported. but on the 2.1revision i sent back and asked for the 2.0 in replacement(when it was my shitty mem causeing the problem) it says support for the 45nm cpu's...

but, Russ you might wanna know this.. there is a new release bios.yes F12. i just went to gigabytes site and it is official the F12 bios was released 7-10-2008.... now why in the hell didnt the gigabyte guy tell me that earlier? he said it was still beta testing..

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Motherboard/BIOS_Model.aspx?ProductID=2626

@Russ
    with these revisions we have. is the only difference in them the bios it came with???

12. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

All these revisions dont have big changes. I think your board should be good. Considering you are ALREADY running a 45nm CPU(you aren't still haveing problems are you?).

Why not try the new BIOS? You can always revert to the old one.

13. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

yea its running, and running great.. its just my temps that are high.the intel guy told me today that they are high but are well within the cpu standards.

and if not tonight when i get home then first thing in the morning i will be going to F12 bios... then again it only states it is for suport of the new E0 stepping(which is what i want)lol greedy aint i?

14. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

cincyrob,
    What revision is your MB? Mine is a Rev. 2.0 and runs both a Q9450 at 3.6 or an E8400 at 3.8 just fine. Both have been tested in mine! All three Revisions, 1.0, 2.0 & 2.1 are supposed to run the 45nm CPUs. All I can vouch for is the Rev. 2.0!

rick5446,
    I doubt that it's the PSU! More than likely something on the MB. You may have spiked the board! Especially since the drive runs OK! The drive seems to have survived, and the PSU can handle that load easily unless it's underpowered, so my guess is something damaged on the MB!

I have to ask! What ever possessed you to plug in the power line while it was running? Reminds me of when I tried to stop a friend's son from swapping the video card while the computer was running. He insisted all his friends did it! When the inevitable smoke cloud belched out of his father's brand new video card, I told him "all his friends" owed his dad a new video card! LOL!! I just looked at him and said, "they lied"!

Best Regards,
    Russ

15. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

wait he plugged it in while the power was on.....

101 rookie mistake :(

16. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

mine is just like yours Russ.
    2.0v now..i requested it when i did my RMA...lol
    what were the temps when you had those 45nm in there? do you remember??? i know i sound like im makeing a big deal out of my temps but there has to be a reason why they are this high 49-53c at idle NO NO NO i dont like that, even though they are within standards...maybe i just need to get that top notch cooler a try..

17. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Changing video cards in a RUNNING computer? WOW. Not too smart.

I gotta try that one day!

18. sytyguy

sytyguy Regular member

I thought Soph mentioned that it did not use all 4 cores, but threaded them, and IIRC Jdobbs said the same.

19. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

CCE can only utilize 2 cores but HC encoder by hanks can utilize 4 cores. either app, as well as a few other encoders can be used with DVD Rebuilder. whichever you prefer.

20. mrk44

mrk44 Guest

Mort: Just wondering, where did you buy your TRUE pre-lapped? The only place I found was CrazyPC and I wanted to know if there are any better places to get one from.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.