1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread -3rd Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

ROTFLMFAO

YEA they charge tax and prob shipping to ship to the other side of texas..lol
    the guys at microcenter have told me they have someone that searches all the online sites for prices on CPU's they get the lowest price and beat it by 10%(normaly) when the E8400 first came out they was like in the 200-220 price range. i got mine for 189. on the rim and out the door..lol
    i will say they have great prices on part like this. even MOBO's they are cheaper there but they only have slim pickin's of board models....

plus they have good sales on DVDR's to burn in our wonderful burners...lmao

i wont leave you GPU guys out...

i havent looked closely but ive heard from others they do the same thing on the GPU's as the CPU's. i look and see if they have any of the HD-4850/4870's on hand and there prices...

EDIT
    ok i found these few here real fast... now bare with me i know nothing about them and dont know if these are good prices or good manufactures. just something i found.

http://microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0292287

http://microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0291712

http://microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0291847

try these..sorry

Last edited: Aug 8, 2008
  2. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

Here's a question for you Nehalem folks.. a few of of you are saying a Quad isn't relevant for your uses/needs. Plus there's not much in the way of software that's multi-core capable. So... (and bearing in mind i know zip about Nehalem other than i just googled and it seems there'll be a whopping 8 cores i think)... a fair few of you are wanting Nehalem.

..so my question is what software will have changed by then that will make you guys that can't justify a Quad now, to want Nehalem when it's released ?. (also bear in mind i don't ever read up on future Windows versions or future Directx etc etc etc.

edit- The only thing i can think of that would make me personallyfind a Quad wanting, is if ever i bother ripping/encoding Bluray stuff.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2008
  3. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

from what i know and isnt much about the Nehalems you have hit the nail on the head perfectly. until there is more software,programs,games ect. i dont see the need myself. like you and i think Soph has said it. that encodeing of blueray is about the best thing it can be used for as of now.

but look at it this way. kinda like a muscle car "wow i have 425hp"...lol

4. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

It's four cores with Hyperthreading so it looks like 8 cores.

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Nothing, I'll probably buy a 775 quad when Nehalem is released...

Rob: I can't get your link to work...

6. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

greensman,
    Why? You're not violating the warranty! 1.5v is still within the voltage range Intel lists for it. That is unless heat is an issue! Mine's at 1.49v as reported in the bios PC Health and Everest, raised from 1.46v for stability. It would just shut down maybe once a day. No change in the bios settings, but just like hitting the reset button. The additional .03v is all it needed for complete stability at 3.6GHz. I run it at 3.552GHz so the memory runs right at 1066 with the 2.4 multiplier (444x2.4=1066)! I have no desire to try and overclock memory that is already overclocked 266MGz to begin with! If it was an E8400, it would be different, as the voltage range is much lower (1.3625v tops).

Best Regards,
    Russ

7. greensman

greensman Regular member

Russ I'm at 1.425v right now and completely stable at 3.6GHz. ;) I guess I could go higher but again I don't see the need. lol. I don't have heat issues per se. ;) I thought the 8800GTS was running a bit warm until I did a LITTLE research and was re-assured by the GPU BOYS that it was running well within tolerances. :)

Anyway running it any higher seems silly unless doing benchies on air. ;) imo anyway. :p

....gm

8. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

try them now Sam.

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Quite good, I think newegg still has them cheaper than that though.

10. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

11. greensman

greensman Regular member

This one interests me but I'm getting way ahead of myself. :) ASUS EAH4850 I know it's Open Box but it's less than $150 delivered!! :D

I'll add this too.... I prefer a "2 slot" GPU on the "hotter" units because of obvious reasons.... :) Heat escape!!!

....gm

12. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

greensman,
    That's why I'm looking at the MSI! http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127370
    The card is double slot wide with the cooler so I would leave the slot in the case next to it open so cool air from the open slot will blow over the cooler. One of the side benefits of Negative case Pressure! I know from the reviews that I've read on this card that it runs much cooler than all of the others!

Russ

13. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Still no air going out of the case :(

I got my X3320 to 3Ghz at 1.25v.

14. greensman

greensman Regular member

YEAH!!!! Just checked my email and Trinity from ASUS has issued an RMA for my Striker Extreme mobo!!! /me is HAPPY!! I'll box it up this weekend after reading the return instructions very carefully!! :)

....gm

15. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

abuzar1,
    Oh ye of little faith! LOL!! If you have cool air flowing over the bottom of the video card where the Heatpipe cooler is, it doesn't interfere with anything and there will be less heat to begin with. The cooler "tunnel" of a 2 slot video card often has 3 or 4 vents towards the very rear of the card that are exhausts. They have a larger total opening than the rear exhaust, so how much heat actually exits the case directly? Being kind, I would say about 1/4 of the total heat at best! Cards that are all boxed in by not having vents run very hot to begin with!

Best Regards,
    Russ

16. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

only 2 slot gpu's with rear exhaust for me.

17. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Yeah mine is one slot. So I run a 120mm exhaust on the side cover right next to it. Oh well at least it's fast.

18. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

good point creaky about Nehalem. what Nehalem will do though is bring down prices a bit on the other cores i think the E8400,E8500 has probably bottomed out already, you may see another 20 to 30 dollar cut at the most. and the Q9450 should hit the 219.00 range. which is about 100.00 less then i payed for it but i didn't regret getting the Q9450 now!. memory is running great at 1066MHz so hopefully i can get the Q9450 OC(ed) this weekend.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2008
  19. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

Everyone keeps reminding me the last few pages about how much I overpaid to be the first on the block with my Q9450 toy when it came out! Nehalem this and that harrumph! harrumph! LOL
    I think youll be fine ZOSO, now your memory is set you should just be able to jack up the FSB until its unstable (about 3.4), then tweak your vcore up a hair. From there its trial and error with all the other setings to gain small bits at a time.

20. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

thats why we buy theses mobo, CPUs etc. so we can play lol. I think i will shoot for 3.2GHz for now

Last edited: Aug 9, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.