1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread -3rd Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. haskins69

haskins69 Member

Bigwill:
    Like I said I hope I didn't offend anyone , and most people here have tried to be very heplfull , I enjoy the closeness of this site , and for me that's a lot cause for the most part I'm a loner and just started using forum's a while ago because of my issues with cyberpower and ASUS , and I found I needed the help of other's who might be or have been dealing with the same issues , because I wasn't getting help from cyberpower or ASUS , other than "here change your $300.00 board with this $300.00 board" , which was nice of cyberpower . But I believe that if they would of took the time to trouble shoot the board's, instead of just changing them ,I wouldn't of went though 7 so far in 11 months. Hell if they would of trouble shoot them , they might have learned some thing and I might of to!!!! I really feel that the issues with the striker series is in the BIOS setting's, since I've read some people have luck with them after some updating ,and tweaking the BIOS. I know very little about these settings, meaning I don't know which to change and in what order, but I do know that all The striker extremes I had were posting CPU and memory voltages below nominal value, now it's been years since I've used my electronics knowledge [ex Navy aviation electronics tech] but I do remember that when a switch type device is ran below nominal voltage it act's like a capasitor, leading to surges in current and voltage , instead of a steady flow ......but they just wanted to change part's go figure..........again hope I didn't offend anyone....later

2. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

And you run your system with 10 hours of Prime95 running Short ffts and then compare that to 3mark.

3. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

where is the NB Vs?

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

My everest doesn't show me NB voltages. Does yours?

5. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

now thats i think about it...no :(

where can i find mine? and the temps?

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Well the NB temp is there, but as for the NB voltage, not sure.

7. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

i thought mobo temp is different to chipset

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I was under the impression it was your northbridge temperature, which I consider to be the chipset. I don't think Mobo Southbridges or VRMs have temperature sensors.

9. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

i think Morts shows the NB and SB temps. not sure about the volts.

welp. i did a little overhauling on this puppy. took the AR freezer 7 pro off and put the new nicely LAPPED coolemaster TX2 back on. also took the NB off. cleaned off the old crappy paste and put some AS5 on it... that was nothing to do. here i thought it was something major to do. 2 little plastic push pins and she comes right off(just like a woman just gotta know which buttons to push) lol. cleaned up real nice.

[​IMG]

a couple degrees cooler. thats all. got a month new board will be here...kinda like signing that 10 million dollar free agent...lmao

EDIT:
    check out the different RPMs on the different CPU's600rpms faster on this cooler.

i didnt change my OC.clear the cmos. should i put it back at stock for awhile to let this paste set in?

Last edited: Jul 18, 2008
  10. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Don't know if this is of any significant interest to anybody. Well anyway here it is, my own little test
    Computer 3 GHz AMD Atholon 64x2 Dual Core ASUS CROSSFIRE
    DVD Shrink its ripping a DVD (LOST BOYS in ISO Mod) LG DVD RW at 50% finished 4,600KB/s, and climbing. At 75% 5,000
    Lite-on 50% 9,600KB/s, and climbing. At 75% 10,000

11. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

I'm fairly certain that Everest shows the Northbridge temperatures as AUX.
    [​IMG]

12. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

looks better robert, all around. every little bit helps. what is the ambient temp?

you boys wanna see some temps and voltages? here ya go. 76f ambient at stock speed:

[​IMG]

13. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

My temps are at 3.8 GHz.

[​IMG]

14. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

this was my E3110 @ 3.8ghz:

[​IMG]

15. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

very nice mort very nice. not OC'd is it?????lol
    nice vcore volts also. from what ive been reading about that Q9450 you can OC it alot without touching the volts for it.

my ambient tmep here in the house is kinda warm. got the windows open and no AC as of now..its 78f right now.

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I'm going to assume these are idle temps? 3.8Ghz load at 33 degrees on air cooling would be impressive...
    How does it fare under load? Uber-airflow does seem to boost the Ultra-120's cooling performance significantly.

While we're at it, my idle temps in a 23ºC (73ºF) environment:
    [​IMG]
    Current fan speeds: 900,600,600,750,600,900,800 (F,S,R,T,B,CPU,GPU)

17. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

My ambient room temp when I took that last screen shot is 80.3F.

18. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

sam that was at idle. here's where it ran under load at 4.0ghz:

[​IMG]

Soph,

I thought you used to keep your ambient temp no warmer than 72f, year around.

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Not too bad for the speed. Is the chipset core temperature a little like the CPU core temperature? Because 32ºC for a chipset is excellent, whereas 44 is a bit on the warm side considering the monstrous sink on that Rampage board.
    Voltage rails are a bit on the droopy side I see, that's a little disconcerting. Nothing to worry about of course, but all of the main rails are down a little bit. Suppose it's just a slightly lower voltage coming off the main coil.

20. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

I had my NB voltage jacked up pretty high. 1.25v is rated and I had it at 1.55v. no worries tho. the thermal rating on the NB is 90c.

I noticed my voltage rails too when I 1st got this pc up n running. I thought about RMA'ing the psu but corsairs guidlines says anything within 10% + or - is acceptable and it's well within that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.