1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread -3rd Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

For a 3.8Ghz bloomfield chip. duh. haha

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Your 3.6Ghz on 1.45V was promising though, that was definitely stable was it?

3. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Yeah I'm pretty sure it was.

I didn't actually check. My last chip did 3.6Ghz at 1.47v stable, so this should be good for it.

4. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

5. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

abuzar1,
    I know you're excited and all, but I would edit out those last two words! That's just not acceptable here! I would strongly suggest you do it, before the Mods do it for you!

Respectfully,
    Russ

6. greensman

greensman Regular member

Mort I'm pretty sure he corrected himself somewhere or stated it in another post. ;)

Nice OC there boozer. ;)

You know what's funny is you can talk savings all you want to but the cpu's aren't available yet are they?? ;) I'm still stuck with the 65nm tech. lol. An E6850 and Q6600 for the GM for now. ;) I'm sure they will serve for years to come. The only thing that I may need to get it some BIGGER ram. lol. 4GB(2GBx2)... BUT that will only come when it's absolutely necessary..... :p

..gm

7. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

(Some of) the youth of today don't get the (frequent) hints re acceptable posting habits.

8. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

you are correct gm. posted by boozer in another thread:

I misunderstood. I thought he said it's not a 65nm quad core. my bad.

gm, you gotta lay off the grub. ur gettin' a little chunky in ur sig. hehehe lol. I already know that's not you. but there is a resemblance :) :) heheh lol

Last edited: Aug 9, 2008
  9. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Actually it's a lowly 3.6 now.

And sorry about my posting habits. Cant help it.

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I can add a Gecube HD4870 onto my parts order for this PC repair, effectively meaning it will only cost me £170 delivered, and I'm earning £40 for the pc job, is it worth it? I wouldn't have had any complaints about Gecube until the X1950XT AGP... Was that just a special case? After all, it should still be the reference design.

11. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    That statement got me thinking about the MSI I was looking at. It isn't a reference design! Isn't that unusual this early in the 4850's life?

Best Regards,
    Russ

Last edited: Aug 10, 2008
  12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The reference designs have just appeared. Sapphire have recently unveiled their 'toxic' version with a zalman cooler, not a particularly good one by the looks of things, but oh well...
    Most people are fitting Accelero S1 rev 2s to their cards because they're cheap. Breaking one graphics card is enough for me thanks, I'll get an HR-03GT when I can afford one, need to buy the card itself yet!

13. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

lol

I took off my Asus 4850s sticker. Underneath it was a made by ATI card hah.

14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Unsurprising.
    Found a youtube video of the fan noise made by the 4870 at various speeds, and it sounds acceptable, primarily airflow noise, the only really present frequency is the blade frequency itself, which due to the squirrel cage blower is really high by the time the card's noise level is obnoxious. It seems free of the grinding noise made by the X1900 and HD3870 coolers, which is pleasing. I may not mind the card so much after all. I'm happy leaving it idling at 85ºC using the default fan speed (yes, the 4870 idles even hotter than the 4850) but will probably up it to around the 40-50 mark for games and hope that's sufficient.

What do you reckon? Is it worth getting a Gecube or should I spend the extra £11 on a Gigabyte instead? I figure the only warranty I get will be from ATI or the retailer, very few manufacturers will be interested.

15. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    That's funny! I went to look that up and when I opened Newegg, it was the first item on the computer hardware screen! LOL!! I see it's a 2 pipe, passive cooler? The MSI's is part of it's design with a fan in the middle.

abuzar1,
    I think a lot of video cards are like that. They can buy the card with the GPU and support chips and add what they want in terms of parts quality. MSI sells a reference 4850 card as well as well as their own design! I just though it unusual for a non reference card to be available so soon after the 4850 came out!

Best Regards,
    Russ

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

it's been a month now... seems about right.

17. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    True, but the MSI has been out for two or three weeks. I was just surprised by the speed they got this one on the market!

A little news for all!
    Read all about it! Nehalem has a new designation!
    http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2327794,00.asp

Now all they need to do is come up with the numbers scheme for Core i7! LOL!!

Russ

Last edited: Aug 11, 2008
  18. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

well i guess i spoke to soon my memory is not running stable at 1066MHz, machine is rebooting.

back to the bios i go !

the memory is rated at 2.1v . so i don't want it any higher than 2.1v in hardware montior right?

19. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Makes sense, this is their 7th generation CPU and Intel has been using the "i" moniker for a while now.

Zoso, are you sure it's the memory? Try running memtest. I run mine ay 2.2v.

20. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

i got in set at min now, DRAM voltage in extreme tweeker is set at 210v (it was set in auto prior so maybe that was the problem)

and in hardware monitor it reads at 2.176v it is running at 1066MHz though so i will see if my machine reboots in the next day or so.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.