1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread -3rd Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

ZoSoIV,
    I had the same thing and I raised the voltage to 2.11v. It turned out that the CPU voltage had to be raised .02v over what it was set at and that cured the problem. It would just crash for no apparent reason. A system re-set. No changes in the setup. It ran just fine after it rebooted. I just popped the side cover off and grabbed the memory sticks between my fingers. They are barely warm! Mine is also running at 1066, so I wouldn't worry too much about raising the voltage a little bit if you have to. Mine's been on for the last 36 hours so it's thoroughly warmed up! LOL!!

Main
    [​IMG]
    Memory
    [​IMG]

Best Regards,
    Russ

Last edited: Aug 11, 2008
  2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Lol - if i grab my memory, i get scalded and my hand instantly reflex-reacts away, i get a little red patch on my fingers... Then again, it uses the normal XMS2 heatspreader not the Dominator, has no fan directly cooling it, is tucked away at the back of my case with almost no airflow, and there are four sticks there not two, all bunched up together, all running at 2.16V, which guess what? My BIOS did for me! lol

3. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    Mine sit almost on top of the AF7-Pro fan. I have to use slots 2 and 4. I can use slots 1 and 3, but using the #1 slot puts the DIMM in between the frame and the fan blade! LOL!! It will work, but it makes me nervous! They sits right in the airstream for the CPU cooler, but I don't think it gets that hot to begin with. Like I said, it's barely warm to the touch, and I don't think it's the breeze that does it. I mean, I stuck my fingers right down to the base of the DIMMs, and I doubt that it even body temperature as you can barely feel any heat. I did that while running Prime95, and they didn't seem to get much hotter.

BTW, OxiMoron is a hell of a good game machine. The nVidia 6150 graphics are in a different league than the 6100's were. I had all the settings maxed out on the trial version of AOE III, and it really worked nice. Beautiful graphics! People can tell me all day long what a POS the AMD's are, and I'll just laugh at them, because unless you own one, you'll never understand just how good they really are! It does many things so much faster than my C2D. Encode times with DVDRB/CCE are generally under an hour, and that's with a bone stock 64x2 4800+. If it was my only machine I wouldn't be unhappy at all! The C2D may win the benchmark wars, but the I/O is so much quicker on the AMD in the real world. Clocks aren't everything! I'm so glad I bought? it!

Best Regards,
    Russ

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

You'd be surprise, my CPU fan may be big but it's more above the RAM than infront of it, and upping the speed of that from 600 to 1000rpm knocks a good 7-8 celsius off my RAM temps, even the slightest amount of air can have a big difference, just as long as there is some - the air is basically stagnant where my RAM is, hence the high temps (67ºC is the highest I've seen so far). It's the same principle I work on with my case, you don't need much air to cool something, as long as there is some, hence the 600rpm case fans...

While I'd agree about AMDs not being bad CPUs, they're not faster than Core 2 Duos. I've owned a 4200+ (and at a time had it overclocked to be as fast as a 4600) and compared to that my overclocked E4300 is much faster at doing everything. Bone stock they were kind of equal, but running at 3.15Ghz, the Intel is the chip I'd much sooner have in all environments.

5. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

your saying the AMD is faster than your E6750 running DVDRB/CCE?
    it takes you longer than a hour with the C2D???? WOW, useing 3 passes(is what i have been oding here lately) it only takes me 62 mins.

6. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

I don't think there is anything wrong with your memory. you didn't have any problems until you tried to OC so that tells me you probably were trying to OC the memory too high (you forgot to back the memory down as you increased the FSB) or you need to raise the vcore a little more. BTW: that memory will run fine at 2.2v but like I told you in the pm, higher voltage = more heat so try to run them as low of voltage as possible

there is also a bug with 0403 bios (which you have) with loadline calibration enaqbled or on auto. I would disable LLC with 0403 bios.

7. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

does no one know that the 2.66 nehalem uses only dual channel DDR3?

atm, its only the extreme edition that does atm

just ordered geil black dragon 2x2GB 5-5-5-15 PC8500 for £75 and a gainward HD4850 for £105 with GRID for free.

should go nice with the new definitely VA DGM panel form OcUK, as for some reason, although ebuyer advertise a VA, they sell TNs, which are vastly crapper than VA, so for £35 more, i can gurranty VA. :)

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

To be fair, Ebuyer only advertised it as the L2442WD, not the L2442WD-VA - know your product before you buy!

Also note the price difference:
    http://www.ebuyer.com/product/145399
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MO-026-OK

18% price difference between two stores that are usually pretty close for price should tell you something as well...

Additionally, they don't say anywhere it's a VA panel, perhaps they did before and have now removed it.

Isn't this monitor an S-PVA?
    http://www.ebuyer.com/product/148081
    edit: never mind, no it isn't.

What's interesting, is scouring through reviews I find far more reports of dead pixels with TNs than S-PVA or S-IPS panels...

9. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

thanks guys i will try raising the CPU voltage also along with the DRAM voltage. and disabling the LLC.
    and see if that works

10. proxyRAX

proxyRAX Member

Does anyone know if there is a significant performance drop from the Samsung Spinpoint 1T drive and the 750GB one? I was planning on buying buying several drives to store a lot of data, and I've heard that the 1T ones use only three platters and have very nice read/write speeds. They are expensive though, coming in at $170 each. Rather than go with two of those, I was windering if there is a performance decrease going to 2x 750 or 3x 750? By the way, striping them is not really an option I want to go with. It is too much of a bother and I don't like the fear factor of it.

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Very wise.
    I own a 750GB F1 and it is every bit as fast as benchmarks suggest the 1TB drive is, by the looks of it they perform the same.

12. proxyRAX

proxyRAX Member

Great, thanks for the fast reply. I'll see whether to go with 2x 750GB + some extra drive or 3x 750 GB.

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Sounds like a plan. Just be advised Samsung drives do vibrate more than others, if you're going to put three of them together, I hope you have a well-built case, or it's going to get a bit noisy in there! :p

14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Re Skulltrail and dual graphics:

15. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

cincyrob,
    I never said that!
    "You Must Be Slammed"
    "You Must, You Must"
    "Therefore, Your Judgment"
    "We Must Distrust"
    " HEE-HEE!! "

The AMD's are faster in certain internal functions. I/O stands for Input/Output! It does certain functions in less clock cycles. It was these very things, along with the On-Chip memory controller that made the AMD's faster before the C2D came along. They can't crunch numbers as fast as the C2D can, but it is quicker internally, doing certain things. An average DVDRB/CCE 2 pass is just under 45 minutes on my E6750, 58 minutes on the AMD! I've tried 3 pass, and I agree 100% with the Author JDobbs, in that the additional pass isn't worth the extra time needed! The effective FSB is 1800 to 2000MHz, depending on the CPU, which contributes greatly to the overall performance! Considering the difference in processor speed, it's a pretty remarkable machine to me!

sammorris,
    I never even implied that the AMD was faster (4800+ BTW), but I am saying that many internal functions are quicker because they take less clock cycles to execute on the AMD! Something Intel is refining to the max with the Corei7. I often use both computers, and the difference in overall speed is much less than the numbers would indicate, especially considering the more than 1.1GHz difference in processor speed. Both are reasonably modern technology, with the AMD being slightly newer at less than a year old. When I switch from one machine to the other, you're not sitting there grumbling about the speed like I did with the D-940. Considering the AMD runs at 2.4GHz and the C2D at 3.55GHz, and given the real world performance of the 4800+ is far better than the numbers would indicate, I'm glad I bought it!

Best Regards,
    Russ

16. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

i went and reread that post russ...if ya just read it fast like i do at times. it seem'd as if you ment that it was faster than your E6750...yes it had me scratching my head big time..lol

thats why i asked that. cause i really wanted to know if i wasnt seeing things..lol

its getting rough around here with the lack of work/no OT. so some luxuraies might be going south for a while.internet/cable small stuff ect... so my posting might be limited for a while.. i have this here at work but damn near everything is blocked...

sorry to go off topic there fellas

17. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

cincyrob..Give up a meal a day, not the internet

18. greensman

greensman Regular member

MY GOSH I'm glad I saw the cincyrob in front of that post. LOL. I would NOT give up one meal a day!!! NO WAY Mr.!!!! :p

I'm curious to see what AMD does next for the Nahelam... hmmmmmm.... They're stuff is gonna plummet just like the present LGA 775 socket from Intel. ;)

....gm

19. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

lol honestly i only eat once a day. i work second shif and i eat about 7:00pm. i dont eat breakfast. period. and only once in a while i eat lunch..lol

but when i do eat look out...lol no comment GM

20. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

lol

You know it's better for you to eat three times a day. Even if you eat the exact same amount you do now, it's better to spread t across tree meals.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.