1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread -3rd Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Oh. Well I don't know any for naval battles.

I loved COD2. When it came out, it was all me and my friends played on my 360.

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

And you still do play it a lot, COD2 was interesting on the PC, but I prefer COD4 in pretty much all aspects.

3. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

lol I don't play it much anymore. I don't have any one to play with :(

I'm too good at it. None of my friends ever want to play it.

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Heh, I know what that feels like at home, but it's the complete opposite at uni. I get owned so hard it gets tedious... :p

5. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

lol

Trust me. I doubt any one at your silly little uni would stand a chance against me at COD2 :)

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Actually probably not, we mainly play PC FPS games, not consoles, the only exception to that is Halo and Condemned.

7. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

I just had my first experience with Vista Ultimate Edition on a Toshoba laptop! I thought Home Premium sucked, but this one takes the cake. The way you do anything on it is so convoluted, it's pitiful! Seemingly endless series of little windows for everything you want to do. Runs OK, but not near as simple to use as XP-Pro. Even the terminology has changed from XP, as well as most of the familiar Icons!

I could learn it, but why change the basic layout that has worked so well for all these years to something totally unfamiliar and takes more steps to do. Now if you want to set the screen resolution, you right click on the desktop, go to advanced settings and select it from a separate menu! That and of course the Security BS! They can keep it! XP-Pro is better and easier to use, gives you more common sense options, and is faster! All Vista accomplishes is making the GUI much harder to use by making you do more steps to do it! Bloatware Personified! ROFL!!

Russ

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Now that I do agree with you. It perhaps is given a harder rep than it deserves, but there's still no good reason to upgrade to it. It looks nice? please...

9. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

COD4 is awsome!!!!!!.

ive yet to play it multiperson. havent gotten on one of the servers yet. in single person it is sweet. ive been finding myself playing it longer each time i play it..lol

Mort81
    i just read basiclly the same thing you just stated bout the new mulit i have. instead of whole numbers 6-7-8-9 i now have the option of 6,6.5,7,7.5,8,8.5 and 9 not 9.5. thats why in the bios up there it doesnt show it as being able to change cause i have it at 9 now. but if i was to back it down to say8.5 it would be highlighted to where i could change it... i think thats pretty sweet.
    but i now have my mem running at 800 nicely with the 9 multi. running 3.6ghz. so to be honest unless i got 1066 mem it wont serve me to even use a lower multi..lol still nice to have.

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I see now, that makes much more sense.

11. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

I don't know. Vista Ultimate has grown on me. Some things are much more simpler to do.

12. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

abuzar1,
    Yeah, and Viruses grow on you too! LOL!! Window's Media Player is the pits! It works well enough, but the overall Media interface is a PITA! You have to scroll it across the screen, depending on what you want to do! It's not the least bit intuitive! For all the help they say they give you, you have to wind up figuring it out for yourself. Even something as simple as the DVD player Interface is a PITA! Power DVD 7 is far batter! R click on the mouse and click Exit. Just finding how to turn it off is a major PITA! In my eyes, any interface that makes you go crazy trying to figure out what everything means or does, sucks! Wait till the next time you change HDD!

What infuriates me the most is I went to install Power DVD-7 on my Acer, and a message popped up telling me that "The software you are installing may not work properly", and then gives you the choice to continue or exit the installation. I figured I would try it since there was no threat warning! No "Don't install this software, it may harm your computer", no nothing! Only wound up costing me near $40 for a recovery disk when I couldn't uninstall the program and it corrupted the Vista program! Get the idea? Most laptops don't come with recovery disks anymore, you have to buy them, Extra! Sooner or later, you will! It's micro$ofts way of thanking the manufacturers for their support as it's very lucrative for the manufacturers. They cost pennies to make! and are virtually all profit! Vista Sucks!

Russ

13. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Hmm, most Laptops have a Fat partition from which you can create recovery disks.

Anyway, I wouldn't know about Windows Media Player. It seems nice enough. I use the Zune player, because I have a Zune, and for movies I use Media Player Classic.

14. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

speaking on FAT. is FAT32 format still used?i was looking at my parents current 6yo PC its 60gb hdd is in fat32 format?

15. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

It's probably not, because from Windows 2000 onwards the OS only lets you create 32GB partitions for FAT 32.

16. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

abuzar1,
    You can put Fat32 on XP! Partition and format with a 98 Boot disk or do it with Acronis. When you install XP, it will give you the option of replacing it with NTFS or using it as Fat32, or formating again with either!. Both formats have their advantages and disadvantages! It will accept larger partitions than 32GB because I have a 160GB backup drive that has two Fat32 partitions about 55GB each, that was made with Acronis!

Best Regards,
    Russ

Last edited: Aug 13, 2008
  17. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

Indeed, FAT32 works fine in XP, just as it always did, though i've been using NTFS for the most part for donkey's years. You can choose FAT32 in XP's setup process, even for quite large hard drives.

18. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Did I say FAT32 doesn't work on XP? Read my post again. I said from Windows 2000 onwards the Windows Installer only lets you create 32GB partitions for FAT32.

19. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

There's no real need for FAT32 these days, plus it's easy to convert to NTFS. But in cinyrob's parents' pc, if it's running fine just leave it be.

20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I stopped using windows media player long ago, it got bloated about the time it stopped being the little box and became the full screen giant with side panels and menus everywhere! What was that, media player 7?
    My PC in 2004 has no recovery disk, they wanted me to pay for one. So I didn't, I downloaded a copy of XP and reformatted...
    Abuzar: This said PC in 2004 came with XP on it, on a 147GB FAT32 partition, no breaks. How'd they do that then? Surely they wouldn't have used special software?

As for keeping FAT32 / changing to NTFS, no real need unless you ever want to see/use a file greater than 4GB in size, if you do, it's NTFS time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.