1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread -3rd Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    That's interesting! I didn't start using NTFS until long after I started ripping DVDs. How come I had no problem with files as large as 7+GB?? DVDRB/CCE has no problem with over 4GB for the output file, and reads any rip I've made, even Blood in Blood out which is a three hour flic! (looks puzzled)

Russ

2. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

well its running i just dont know how well..lol it takes a blue moon to defrag it, but i think thats cause its 6 years old and is on its last leg. ive tried to get my dad let me build him a new one, even had a list for him a while back but he didnt want to at the tiem. he now wants to put just a new HDD in it... thats fine but he dont know if he still has the mobo disc that came with it or not... i dont wanna even try to find all the drivers for it.
    i was just curious about it being FAT32 instead of NTFS.

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I've no idea, but hands down FAT32 can't understand a single file larger than 4GB. If you're ripping DVDs wouldn't the files come out smaller than 4 gigs?

4. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

that was a awsome movie...sorry had to add that.. makes me wanna try and find it.. ;)

5. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

Sounds like the video files would have been in chunks of 1GB apiece..

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I would have thought so too, you'd either have a compressed output file 2GB or smaller, or you'd have the VOBs which are a gig each.

7. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

if your just ripping the dvd to file.99% of the time you are ripping it size for size. if its 5.2gb long that is what the rip will be. but if you rip a larger movie and transcode it down to 4.4gb to fit on a single layer disc then there is some compression.

as Russ stated most the time(now) we rip them as actual size and run them through dvd-rebuilder to fit on a dvd5(single layer) so once done there is 3 files for it. the orignal(5.2gb) the output file(4.4gb) and a work file where it did all the reencodeing(4.4gb)

EDIT:
    i just ripped a 6.8gb movie(teen titans season 3) i will run it through dvd-rebuilder with 2 passes and its requested size is a dvd5 disc(4.4gb) that will be all vob files ect. i also Ripped it as a .ISO 6.8gbs so i can uh never mind.
    once i get done with the reencode with rebuilder i just burn the 4.4gb file to disc and toss out the 6.8gb from my hdd

Last edited: Aug 13, 2008
  8. creaky

..but to clarify, FAT32 can only support single files of a max of 4GB.

Programs such as DVD Shrink have settings for splitting the files into 1GB chunks.

9. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

creaky, cincyrob, and sammorris,
    I went and looked at a rip! It sure is made up of several .99GB files. I never thought of that! LOL!!

Best Regards,
    Russ

10. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

Hmm didn't know that.. might have to play with it some and learn a Little bit today.

i haven't really used dvdshrink in a year or so.other than joining 3-4 small movies for the boys to watch continuous

EDIT:
    Russ. your saying when you rip something it is in 1gb files separately? guess i should look at my ripps i just did

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Heh no problem.

12. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

wow learn something new every day..

i wasnt thinking of the actual vob file in itself just the file i had the rip in.
    i have 5 vob files of .99gb and 1 at .347gb...more than one way of looking at everything..lol

13. creaky

No worries, we all forget things, i more than most :)
    .but time marches on, things get easier, for example with NTFS we no longer (have to) care about such shortcomings.
    On some machines & external hard drives i used to stick to FAT32 so that i could write to any drive from linux machines. In the linux world we can now even write to NTFS partitions using NTFS-3G. Haven't tried it myself though, i have so many machines it's hard to concentrate on one thing or project for too long. Plus i have loads of old xboxes that i'm still setting up. It never ends :p

ps re Media Player being bloated, that's why i don't use such programs, i use Media Player Classic (installed via the K-Lite Mega codec pack) & vlc player, nice and light and not a bloat in sight. Plus most of the time i play movies & music thru my xboxes, so even less bloat :)
    I finds winamp to be too bloated these days so don't use that much anymore.
    Plus of course the equivalent media programs in linux couldn't be less bloated, there's loads to choose from, but to summarise, i use XMMS (a winamp lookalike) for tunes, and Realplayer & Totem for streaming radio, though for movies i tend to just use the xboxes and standalone dvd players these days

14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I ran NTFS drives in my Linux server with read/write from them over a network no trouble at all.

15. sytyguy

sytyguy Regular member

I was just over at a friends house yesterday, and was looking at his external HDD, which is his backup drive, and which is FAT32. The backup file consisted of 5 files 4 of which were 4GB, and the final one was just over 2GB.

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I imagine backup programs would factor in the size limitation of FAT32. Many programs however, do not.

17. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Sam, about your 160GB HDD being FAT32. It's only the windows installer that wont allow partitions over 32GB. Any other software will allow you to make a bigger FAT32 partition and then you can install windows on that and have it work.

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I'm sure they could have, that's probably what they did.

19. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

only thing i have that is FAT32 is my I-Pod

20. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    I always use Acronis. It's easy to use and much faster than doing it all manually. I guess that's why I never encountered the 32GB limit, as the partitions were always installed and formated before I installed XP on it! Live and learn! LOL!!

Russ

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.