1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread -3rd Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I used to use Acronis a while back, had no issues.

2. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Hey guys, I saw a brilliant mod a few hours back. Some guy took an old Freezer 64 Pro he had lying around and made it into his northbridge cooler!

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

lol ace. I'd try that but for the noise.. haha

4. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Did I mention it was fanless?

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Now we're talking... :p

6. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

just installed vista 64bit. lovely. no problems what so ever.

i dont get why people use vista on bad hardware, one is askin for a crap experiance :D

7. greensman

greensman Regular member

shaaf how do you like the 64 bit version. I have the 32 bit version but haven't installed for all the "bad" reviews and the general consensus around here. ;)

I'm tempted to just try the danged OS and see what me thinks. lol. I d/l'd the XP Vista wanna look like and didn't like what it did to XP. It seemed to NOT be ready or something. lol.

anywho... tia for your input. :)

....gm

oh and welcome back... :p

8. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Windows Vista64 bit is great! If you can get 64Bit apps, they are way faster than 32bit. If you find 32bit apps, they work the same. Drivers are no issue.

9. mrk44

mrk44 Guest

since you're on the vista subject, did anybody try this out yet?
    It really does get your vista installation the fastest it can get, and you can customize it to w/e you want...
    I mentioned earlier I got my vista dvd size down from 3 gb to 1.3 gb using vlite, and all the crap that slows it down is goooone....

10. greensman

greensman Regular member

bookmarked and will read to "enlighten" the GM... lol. thanks.

so you likey Vista mrk44?? I'm gonna try it i think. it's just to tempting now... lol. :p

...gm

11. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

shaffaaf, Welcome back!
    The point is you just installed it. I get computers all the time that are still under warranty, 8-9 months old and Vista is giving them fits. It worked fine for a while and then the BSODs started. These are all machines "designed Specifically" for Vista Too! At the rate Vista is going, we would be on Service Pack 27 before they fix all the bugs. That's all right as Vista as we know it has maybe a year and a half left in it's lifespan! The new edition of XP-Pro is due out early next year, if not sooner! The next change in XP-Pro due after that will be XP-Vista. It's supposed to be XP with a new face. Most of the benefits of the XP's performance minus all the Bloatware and security BS without all the constant pop up little confirmation windows for everything you do!

Unfortunately for Micro$0ft, they have little choice! Micro$oft has a huge lawsuit against them over all the Vista security and other related things. During the investigation, so much dirt was turned up regarding dirty dealings and outright blackmail to component and perifial manufacturers, not to mention all the major computer manufacturers, that Micro$oft has no chance of winning this case. I know for a fact because I am part of it! This case will never see a Courtroom. It will be settled before then, maybe on the Courthouse steps, but Micro$oft "will settle"! That's all I'm allowed to say!

Here's a link anyone considering Vista should read. I wanted to link to the Anandtech Vista vs XP shootout, done about a month ago, but the link page is dead! I know this is an old article, but the points they make are still relevant!

http://www.infoworld.com/article/08/03/17/12TC-vista-versus-xp_1.html

The Anandtech article showed that XP-Pro was 13 to 17% faster than Vista. In fact I don't think Vista was faster at anything! Maybe Startup! The article is very concise and to the point, and is an answer to accusations against the author pertaining to a previous article he wrote on Vista. They also go into why all these problems occurred in the first place, and what was the cause! Read and Learn! Also understand this! We enthusiasts won't have near the problems with any operating system than the general public will have. Half of the General Public can barely turn on the computer! We also have far better equipment to start with, since we built our's to our own specifications! The average guy wouldn't have a clue what to do if there was a problem. If they did, I wouldn't fix as many computers as I do! LOL!!

Respectfully,
    Russ

12. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

13. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

but its not vista's fault the machines cannot run them. most people dont bother with cleaning their dust inside, so the CPU/NB heats up. infact most of the bsods i ahve has were either nvidia, OR my NB being too hot, once i replaced the TIM on the NB and got an ATI card, well i am well chuffed with vista.

its nto vista fault that manufacuteres are writing vista ready on machines that clearly cannot take them. vista basic maybe.

why would MS go back to XP, XP was the 2000 kernal, jsut spruced up, and windows 7 is the same thing. its the windows NT6 (IICR) just spruced up. thats why DX11 can work with both vista and windows 7.

btw you know you can disable UAC, so easily. us seasoned computer geeks (more so you, your the one with the most experiance out of us!) wont need it, but average joe doesnt mind as he/she isnt installgin a million things a day. they go on to browse and word proccess, which doesnt use UAC.

what bugs and bloatware are you talking about with vista that it will take 27 SPs to make it work?

and arnt you glad vista = ca$h for you! HAHAAH, with all the work you get :D

14. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

who's is that?

is that a freezer 7 pro as the DFI NB?

15. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Yes Freezer 64 Pro as the DFI Bloodiron NB. It's a guy on Overclock.net.

16. mrk44

mrk44 Guest

Yeah there aren't many new features in Vienna since it uses the vista kernel....off the top of my head, I remember they added these new "multi-touch" features similar to the iphone's...and it supposedly uses less power and memory...
    And Fiji pretty much didn't bring ANYTHING new....complete waste of time....

w/ vlite, you can just take it off completely so it doesn't even install in the first place....

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2008
  17. sytyguy

sytyguy Regular member

One of the reasons they are being sued is that MS's own certification program was faulty, but beyond that, vendors, based on MS's own specs were selling computers that would never run Vista without many
    problems, including not enough resources to handle Vista's bloated software.

So YES, it is Vista's (Microsofts) fault.

18. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

and what bloated software was/is that?

right so its a blame on MS for under speccing the systems, but how is that vista fault? Dell/HP/etc, should have known for a long time the minimum specs needed, i dont see the problem, they, i am sure had tries out vista before they started using it? or were they just blind and stuck it on?

19. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

shaffaaf,
    If you read the article I posted, you wouldn't be asking that question! LOL!! The main problem is that the kernel has been altered so many times, patched and cross patched that it needs to be completely started from scratch. Too many people tried to change too many things at a lever that is normally a fixed entity. Things get built around the core kernel, not the other way around, which is what the engineers did with Vista.

What Bloatware?? First, it's huge! Second, it's the biggest resource hog in the history of software, bar none!

Russ

20. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

Russ is absolutely correct about Vista,i heard the same thing from a very reliable source. Vista has ended up being M$ biggest nightmare and if they don't get rid of it soon it could be the demise of M$

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.