1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread -3rd Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Sytyguy's right, the 150GB Raptors are still noisier than a lot of modern drives (not including any Seagates) but compared to the older 37GB versions they're almost silent. The only problem with the 150GB Raptors is reliability, not many of them seem to last that long without requiring RMAs, syty seems to have been quite lucky with his. It's also worth mentioning they have compatibility issues with certain graphics cards, at least nvidia's G80, possibly the new ones as well. It is this reason why Tom's Hardware stopped using them in their test bench systems. The new 300GB Velociraptors are faster, quieter, cooler, use less power, are far more reliabe and compatible, and don't cost much more for twice the space, they're no-brainers.

2. mrk44

mrk44 Guest

Thanks for the info sytyguy and sammorris.
    I completely forgot about the velociraptors!

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

If you're not worried about space on your OS drive, go one better and get an SSD, they're even faster, make zero noise and produce little heat, but obviously they're expensive for a small total size.

4. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

for the price of the velociraptor you could get 2TBs

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

2 slow TBs though...

6. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

samsung F1s are anything but slow

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Those who don't appreciate how good raptors are for OS drives haven't used one. The read/write speed of my HD753LJ and 37GB Raptor is the same, 82MB/s for both. For loading an OS though, the raptor is MILES ahead, and that's an old one. It's all in the seek time.

8. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

GM,

I realize you could care less about what I think :D, but I am still partial towards the DFI LT LP X48 TR2 for what it's worth ;)

9. greensman

greensman Regular member

That is the furthest thing from the truth that I've ever heard on this thread, let alone the forums. :) btw did you see how much it is now?? :D me is getting the click and buy button frenzy.

I'm just making sure that I'm spending my money wisely and to check and make sure NOTHING has changed in the last couple of months or so. :D

Now give me a hug and it'll all be ok.... hehehe. :p

.....gm

10. mrk44

mrk44 Guest

sammorris: The reason I wanted to know about the raptor's noise is because I wanted to change my seagate to something that doesn't sound like a blender... Then I saw the nexus drive-a-ways in your system specs....those only fit in 5.25" bays, which means I can't keep it in the hard disk cage, right? Is there any silencer that can stay in a 3.5" bay?

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Not unless you make one yourself sadly, else I would have done it.
    The 36GB Raptors are louder than Seagates for seeking (even the early ones) - the 150s are perhaps on a par with the more modern seagates but still very pronounced. Samsungs produce the lowest amount of seek noise, but can vibrate a lot in cheap cases, so a silentbox is still recommended. Once in one of those though, it'll be practically silent.
    Sadly I've stopped using my silentboxes as the S-ATA connectors stopped making good contact.

12. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

GM,

I've liked the LT LP X48 since the day it was released. I like the oem NB cooler and included audio card, not to mention, they include round (green) IDE cables with it too as opposed to the flat ribbon cables most manufactures include.

if you should choose to use a TRUE or TRU with it you can easily overcome the clearance problem with the oem NB cooler via an aftermarket NB cooler. otherwise the oem NB cooler should work fine and dandy with a smaller cpu cooler (92mm) eg. arctic cooling 7 pro, OCZ vendetta, or similiar.

it looks to be very comparable to the asus rampage formula but with a more appealing price tag.

13. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    Use a medium bristle toothbrush on the cables, slot and in the drive socket itself. Works very well!

Best,
    Russ

14. greensman

greensman Regular member

yeh me too!!! I just bought it... LOL. ;P

...gm

Last edited: Aug 18, 2008
  15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Unfortunately it's a bit more severe than that Russ, the cables don't stay in the slot. you can wiggle them a good 30 degrees side to side, and they come out with barely any force at all. The clips at the side of the connector are busted I think.

16. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris
    Is it the cables themselves, the sockets or both. Some of the newer ones I've gotten lately, have a better spring release on them, and that helps a bit! I don't know why they had to be so damn flimsy to begin with! LOL!!

Russ

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

It's the socket, as the problem occurs with all cables - the spring-clipped ones don't 'clip' in the socket, they hang loose like all the others.

18. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammoris,
    I gather it's on the hard drive end? Gigabytes sockets are pretty good!

Russ

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

It's the enclosure, not the drive or the cable.

20. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    Maybe you could get a new socket for it??? Like from an external bracket like the GB comes with? The one that goes in the case slot!

Russ

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.