1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread -3rd Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The socket's soldered to a small PCB that runs through the foam insulation to outside the case. To replace it I'd run the risk of ripping off the foam which defeats the point of using the boxes in the first place.
    Plus, if I use these boxes, I run them externally for the lowest noise, so that bracket from Gigabyte is required! lol

2. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member

Give Avira free personal antivirus a try.

http://www.free-av.com/

I've use AVG and Avast and like Avira the best out of the three.

3. mrk44

mrk44 Guest

I finally got a TRUE and installed it....
    I got some questions....Here are some pics:

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/9284/dsc00091va8.jpg
    http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/1776/dsc00090pb1.jpg

Does it look right? Is the fan clip supposed to not go in all the way and stick out a little like that?
    And in the other pic, does it look flat? I wanna make sure I have complete contact...

Also, the scythe fan I got w/ it has a 3-pin connector, and the cpu fan header is 4-pin, so my only option is to plug it in to the one of the system fan header or the pwr fan header...which, I assume I'll be able to view fan speed with??

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2008
  4. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

As far as AntiVirus: ESET NOD 32 Has Worked better 4 me then anything
    I used AVG a while back but it interfered with a bunch of my Programs
    Anybody here fool with Vista ? As I stated earlier my new computers HDD (older Maxtor 160) would not let me install WinXP, but it let Vista Install..One of my HDDs came up with read only (big blue R right beside the drive letter),properties will not let me uncheck read only..All users is allowed.But it won't let Dr DivX Convert a DVD,keeps popping up read only. I just can't figure it out. AutoGK giving me problems also

5. greensman

greensman Regular member

L@@KS good to me mrk44! ;)

clip is the way I have mine and the base of the cooler seems pretty "level" or "flat" to me. Only you can tell if it's that way when you installed it. If your temps are as good or better than the last cooler then your GOLDEN. :D

You should be able to use the connector on your mobo with NO issues. The little tab is made for use with a 3-pin or 4-pin connector.

...gm

6. mrk44

mrk44 Guest

Yay! So I should be able to plug the 3-pin connector into the 4-pin header w/ no problems as long as the tab is lined up?
    Thanks for the response! Ima gonna go run this thing.

7. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Yeah the three pin will work fine in the 4 pin header.

8. mrk44

mrk44 Guest

[​IMG]

Those are my temps in both realtemp and coretemp now that I have my TRUE installed....idle temps at 2.66 GHz....
    Still high, or good enough? (I wanna OC to 3.2 GHz later)....

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Looks okay from here, picture is a little blurry in the most important spot.
    Those coretemps look ok to me mrk, knowing what the 9450 is like for reporting core temps. Run it on load in ORTHOS and check the real CPU temperature in addition to the coretemps, see what that achieves.

On the AV front, I've used Norton, AVG, Avast and ESET, and like ESET the most.

10. spaul40

spaul40 Member

I have a pair of 74GB Raptors in Raid 0 and I can't really hear them. My 750GB Seagate Free Agent is audible so it is not loud fans that is blanking the sound of the Raptors.

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

74GB Raptors are still quieter than the 37GB, but noisier than average. Seagates, however, are noisier still, especially the slightly older ones.

12. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

mrk44,

you can set the TJ Max to 95c in coretemp by clicking options then settings and type -10 in the Tjunction Max offset column.

[​IMG]

13. l34merik

l34merik Regular member

So I haven't been keeping track of new advances for the past year. I've done my research and now am considering building a new computer.

I wanted to wait to where I could upgrade to quad-core 3.2ghz, 4gb ddr2/3, and be able to play crysis on high at 1600x1200 all for $400-500 but I don't think that will be anytime soon. I think I'm' just going to bite the bullet now and upgrade.

Since I've been out of it since the nVidia 650i's were introduced, I really don't know what chipset/motherboard to get. and now that AMD's pricing is so competitive, i'm not certain which route to take at all.

So far I'm thinking:
    intel e7200 (OC @3.6) or intel 2080 (oc @3.2GHz min) [$70-120]
    freezer pro 7 cooler [$30]

motherboard: don't know yet, thinking about a gigabyte durable series or something with nVidia chipset so I can keep IDE hdd and have unlinked OC [about $120]

2x2gb ddr2-800 or higher [$30MIR]
    8800gt (g92) 512mb [$110]
    seagate 320gb hdd [already have]
    case [already have]
    antec 550w psu [already have]

my goals of this computer is:
    intel @ 3.2GHz OC [similar performance from AMDx2/x3/x4]
    2gb or 4gb ddr2 (ddr3 probably not possible with price)
    Crysis on high at 1200x1000 resolution
    probably sticking with XP pro, but thinking about linux, and Vista 32bit or x64

I want to spend around $400 and under for CPU/motherboard/Memory/GPU. Can anyone help me pick parts out?

14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

1920x1200 on high in Crysis won't happen for $400 on those parts. You're looking at an HD4870 ($240), E7200 as you said ($120), 4GB XMS2 ($90), EP45-DS3R ($140) - makes just under $600.

Be advised you won't get near 3.6Ghz out of the E7200 without a good aftermarket cooler, at least a Freezer 7 Pro, if not a tower cooler.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2008
  15. mrk44

mrk44 Guest

I ran orthos, but it only stresses two cores? Am I using the wrong version? The only one I could find was the 2004.

16. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

You either need to run two instances of Orthos, or get the latest Prime 95.

17. mrk44

mrk44 Guest

Well, I ran prime95 w/ small ffts option for a few minutes, here's what I got:

[​IMG]

If all is looks good here to you guys, I'm gonna go ahead and OC to 3.2 then...

18. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Yeah, that's good.

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

That looks excellent to me.

20. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.