1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread -3rd Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I hope you got the Asus version. The Asus 8800GS is one of the quietest GPUs you can buy and the XFX one of the loudest.

2. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Ummm, I think I got the EVGA version... Ooops.

3. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

abuzar1,
    The first Ati card I ever bought, the software couldn't find the card! The last one I had had driver issues with some games. Never could get it to play RCT-3 right! I had a minor problem with my 7600GT a couple of years ago and nVidia sent me different forceWare, Driver removal software and instructions within 10 minutes. It's even a little faster than I expected. Haven't touched a thing since. The 7600GT is OC'd to 650/1650 and it punches out a Brown hair less than 4000 (3997) 3DMarks in 3DMar 06. Sam tells me that's not bad for that video card!

Let's give the Vista thing a rest, agreed? You like it, I don't! Enough said!

As far as the P4 sucking being a reason, the P4 certainly did when it first came out. It couldn't run as fast as the P-IIIs it replaced. Then Intel replaced the P4 with the D8 and D9 series, none of which could beat the cheapest 64x2 from AMD. It didn't say a lot that my E4300 was as fast at stock 1.8GHz as the D-940 was at 3.2GHz! I think, given Intel's past history, that would be reason enough! Ask some of the older guys. Intel hasn't exactly treated the Enthusiast very well over the years! Treated us more like Second Class Citizens! LOL!!

Russ

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I've played RCT3 on an X800 Pro, X1900XT, HD3870, HD4870 and HD4870X2, all without incident...

5. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

I'm not advocating Vista or anything. I don't even use it on my current computers. All I am saying is that as of right now ATI makes better drivers, which happens to be especially true on Vista.

6. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Hello all, I'm back ! I'm looking 4 a Firmware to flash a Sony DVD RW DRU-190A
    I've been to phpBB The Firmware Page, codeguys, but can't seem to find it. Somewhere at CDFreaks I read that it could be flashed with Liteon 20A3P fw XP5Z. Which I found, but I would appreciate some sort of confirmation. As I trust everybody at this site. Have yet to be steered wrong

7. greensman

greensman Regular member

ROFL!!! Sounds like Poltergeist!!!! :)

rick it's a DH-20A3P no doubt about it. ;)

You should be able to go to CDF and find the 20A3P thread w/o issues. ;) There will be some "patched" f/w by C0deKing that will "cross-flash" your drive. You may have to d/l some of the other "lite-on" utilities for the cross-flash. ;) You will need to go to Winds "test" f/w page to get the "un-official" f/w for the DH-20A3P. The last one seems to be really good btw. ;)

good luck... ;)

....gm

8. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

greensman : how do I get to the winds page ? I google and all I get is wind (Wind is the flow of air)
    Also not quite understanding what all I need
    Do I need all of the below list
    http://codeguys.rpc1.org/utilities.html

Flash Utility for LiteOn Based Optical Drives
    EEPROM Utility for LiteOn/Sony/BenQ Drives
    Settings Utility for LiteOn Drives
    XFlash Utility for LiteOn/Sony Optical Drives

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 27, 2008
  9. greensman

greensman Regular member

I would go ahead and get them all just to have them on hand. ;) You never know when you'll need them. ;)

DH-20A3P (CDF page)

Wind's 4share page (C0deKing gives a link as well)

There's some "instruction" available at the Freaks if you need pictures. ;) Helps me. lol. Anyway you'll want to try and "save" the eeprom if it will let you. Next the xflash might be needed or if not the "flasher" will do what you need for a f/w flash. ;) The settings utility is nice because it basically combines the Smartburn utility and the book-type/bitset utility. ;)

All I can say is make sure you got the right f/w and the drive is what you think it is. ;) If not you can "brick" it...

....gm

add: btw the f/w from the Wind d/l page comes ready to flash... ;)

hth..... :D

10. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

greensman: U say the Wind's 4share page this is the best site as its ready to flash. But their are 8 different firmwares, how do I tell which one I need, also does that mean all the other tools are not needed too flash the drive.That it will automatically install on its own. I'm just a dumb as! Also what the heck is Brick it

11. greensman

greensman Regular member

brick it = act like a brick, thus dead as a hammer. :)

you want XV6D HT735 for your drive. :D

....gm

add: or throw it at someone cause it's as good as a brick.... lol. :p

Last edited: Aug 27, 2008
  12. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

greensman: Are the other Utilities from the codeguys still required
    Also can't locate:"instruction" available at the Freaks

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Indeed, to 'brick' something means you turn it into something no more useful than a brick.

14. Evastar

Evastar Regular member

Hi guys, my new pc is going great, thanks again for all your help in choosing the parts - i have just one more quick question lol!

What is the best headset to get for gaming?

I don't mind if it is a bit expensive, i want something with decent sound quality. Thanks :)

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

That's a tricky one, I was never impressed with the audio quality of headsets (and I've had a few), so I use headphones and a desk mic, much to the annoyance of all the people I speak to on skype, due to all the static. Essentially, anything by Sennheiser.

16. Evastar

Evastar Regular member

Someone suggested a logitech 350? Any opinion on that?

17. greensman

greensman Regular member

Eva why would you want to use a headset unless you're doing this late at night and don't want to wake the rest of the household?? ;)

I've had good luck with Labtec, but I'm not a gamer. lol. :) I think that Sammy, Boozer, spamual, and Eustansis could answer that question quite nicely. :D So get to answering boys... ;P

....gm

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

A bit cheaper than what I'd recommend. Logitech make good stuff, but something that cheap is never going to be great.

19. Evastar

Evastar Regular member

Last edited: Aug 27, 2008
  20. greensman

greensman Regular member

Eva does that set have a mic?? I think you would be better served with a built in mic. jm2ยข.... ;)

....gm

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.