1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread -3rd Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

@Russ
    you see Russ are sigs has been up for the longest time and when i pop in we both get questioned that's ok..you know what site..i be on anyway..Sorry 4 getting you in trouble Russ with your sig

@abuzar1

come post you pics over at xtremesystems they would like to see what your working with maybe some tips and pointers there also on custom built..alot info for you to know and to find out...

@LOCOENG
    you might wanna check creaky's also know pone attended creaky..sense all of should'en we checking sigs now russ's has been up for the longest with no problems Thank you..

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 28, 2008
  2. greensman

greensman Regular member

Dude really??? You know the rules but you insist on breaking them EVERY time you post a sig!! It's the rules and everyone has to follow them. I've been told, Rob's been told, and numerous others. LOL. Just follow the rules set for everyone and DON'T think you're special and all will be good. ;) Oh and btw it wasn't because you popped in here, it was another thread about Vista/Fista/Blista or whatever you were initially "warned" and nicely I may add...

well this prolly got me in trouble with more than one person but that's how it is sometimes.... ;)

.....gm

add:

I think creaky is fine.... lol. And besides do you think a MOD would go around breaking the RULES?? I think not.... ROFL.....

Last edited: Aug 28, 2008
  3. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

Sig Deleted and movin on..else where

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 28, 2008
  4. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

My sig is fine and has been for 3 years now :)
    @will - it may seem petty but it's a few rules that all of us have to post by, even the mods. No need to strop and wipeout the sig altogether (and to leave too, so it seems). I'll bet that other site you mention has rules too :p

5. icemen

icemen Regular member

hey ppl

I need help to get my music off my old pc which has died & don't power, can anyone help me?

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Do you have another desktop? Transplant the hard drive across if there's room, or if not, use an external enclosure.

7. icemen

icemen Regular member

yes i have a new pc, i'm not very techy, what does the hard drive look like, is it easy to transport accross?

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The hard disk will be connected via a power cable and a data cable - unplug the data cable at both ends and use it to connect the drive to your new pc's board in the appropriate socket. The data cable will be next to the power cable, which you will need to unplug to remove the drive, but will be attached to the old PC's power supply, so hook it up to the new PC's Power supply once you've got it in there.
    Here's an image of a fairly typical hard disk:
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/b0/Hdd.jpg

9. icemen

icemen Regular member

ok found the harddrive, will it matter if my old pc is bout 4 years old, the new one has a sata motherboard?

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

There should still be an IDE socket on your motherboard, though probably only one. It may currently be taken up by your CDROM drive, so I suggest you unplug your CDROM drive temporarily while you use it to hook up your old HDD and backup your files, then put it back when you're done. You can leave the old HDD in your PC case when finished if you like, just unplug it from power to save energy.

11. icemen

icemen Regular member

ok i'll try that, will let you know how i get on, thankz

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

No problem. Any more queries, just ask.

13. icemen

icemen Regular member

just reading my motherboard user guide, it has a external sata port, can connect the hard drive to that?

14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

eSATA is different to S-ATA. It requires a cable with e-SATA one end and S-ATA at the other end, which you're unlikely to have. Also, I thought you said your hard disk was old and wasn't S-ATA based?
    S-ATA's big break did come pretty much 4 years ago, so your HDD could very well be either.

15. icemen

icemen Regular member

on the wire it says serial ATA, is that a sata wire?

16. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Yes thats Sata. But I believe e-sata wires are different, and external sata ports are e-sata.

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

That's correct, e-SATA is different to SATA, when I was younger and less experienced I spent considerable time trying to force A into B. Didn't work out! lol

18. icemen

icemen Regular member

so i'll need to connect it to the internal sata port & connect it to the power supply? my motherboard has 4 internal sata ports . the motherboard is a asus p5k se/epu

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

If it's a S-ATA hard drive, then yes.

20. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member

The report button works for moderators as well as other members and I think you'll find that they (mods) don't whine when called for breaking the rules.....10 lines of text counting the spaces and a picture? What did you expect?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.