1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread - 4th Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Sep 13, 2010.

1. FredBun

FredBun Active member

fragile optical media, Hmm, let me think about this for a moment, I have seen my kids throw, scratch, stain and do almost everything else less wipe their butt with them, and they could still play, try and do that with a hardrive.

We went thru this before lol, we all know disc's if properly taken care of will outlast hardrives 10 fold, I mentioned before, I think I got close to 4000 movies, sure it would be a lot easier to stack them on hardrives, but after doing all the work getting them, not to mention the cost, and they are important to me and my family, and have the option to let whomever watch what they want to watch in whatever room using a dvd player is very accessible and easy, other wise you would need a pc in every room in the house.

I had this discussion with Russ one time, I told him the day I stop using disc's would be the day I could insert an external hardrive into a dvd player like a disc, but would still worry about the longevity.

But he got me on this one, he said Fred you can almost already do that, I think he mentioned a docking station or something to that nature, sent me a link to view one, I was flabbergasted, didn't even know something like that was available, so my argumentative ammunition with Russ almost came to a halt, like I said he got me on that one, but still, maybe because of fear, about the longevity etc, so for now I'll still stick with what I'm doing.

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yeah I've got a hotswap dock for hard disks, it's really handy. The whole point of hard disks though is that you don't have them lying around where they can be thrown, dropped etc. :p
    With them all in a PC you never need to ever leave anything lying around, it's all internal. If you want proper power-isolated redundancy, just find a cupboard to leave them in, check them every few weeks/months save for the drive you're backing up new data to and you're fine. It honestly is less hassle than optical media...

3. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

I have at least one PC and old type xbox in each room for viewing stuff, but each to their own :), i'm slowly going thru my optical discs and mass destroying them, can't stand having binders full of the pesky things anymore.
    But each to their own.

4. Mr-Movies

Mr-Movies Active member

You obviously don't know how to handle media so no surprise on your bias and as I've stated it is much easier to just use hdd's but more dangerous too, again optical media is more secure. I have tons of backups some of which I should throw out because they are beyond there usefulness. I'm not lazy I backup as I go so it's not a pain in the butt or at a point that I can't manage it. I guess if all I did was DL from the internet and never take the time to organize it my collection might be overwhelming too.

Because I do this I don’t need extra hdd’s that just sit around and I would never keep my main backup in a running PC unless it was only turned on for backup purposes. Like Creak says to each his own and my own won’t be doing what you are, as I’ve been burned by the hard drive perils. Your time will come and then it will be too late as it happens with most people, lessons by hard knocks!

5. Mr-Movies

Mr-Movies Active member

Right on Fred but Russ isn't totally right about a docking station as you can pooch a hdd in a docking station if you remove the drive when you shouldn't or a virus decides to attach itself. Again a hard drive is vulnerable how often have you screwed up an optical disc pulling it out without safe releasing it or just popping it out in mid play? How about never!

6. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

Mr-Movies, don't double post as per forum rules.
    12. Repeated posts to increase total number of posts is not allowed. Especially if your message is the last in the thread, edit it rather than post a new message.
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/2487

7. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Well their is that good old fashioned way ! Write a letter and let the postman deliver it
    YA KNOW WHAT WE DID B4 CELL PHONES ( WE HAD FUN, & ENJOYED OURSELVES of course their was that old fashion answering machine waiting on ya when you got home )But at least you could enjoy your dinner out and a whole movie...Now a days you can't sit through a movie without someone around you talking and disturbing you with there PHONE...Ya ask them to please move or quit talking and your the Motherfu#$er. They are the ones who feel they have been inconvenienced, and push it off on you

8. FredBun

FredBun Active member

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sammy lol, you don't have kids, you put nothing pass nothing with them, maybe one day you will know what I mean. Today when I got approached by somebody that's pregnant, I don't say congratulations, I offer them my condolences.

9. FredBun

FredBun Active member

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Makes sense to me Stevo, good point.

Last edited: May 27, 2011
  10. Mr-Movies

Mr-Movies Active member

Sorry DDP, that wasn't my intent I could careless how many posts or threads I have but I'll be more carefull next time.

Stevo

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I think this conversation has run its course. If you have kids and you let them mess around with everything, sure perhaps optical discs are more robust. If you actually have some form of control though, mechanical storage is a lot easier. I find the idea that a virus would never end up on a DVD laughable, but that's another story.

12. Mr-Movies

Mr-Movies Active member

So you are coming around to the point that optical is more safe, which is true, and hdd's are the easier path but again not so safe. Very good Sam we are making progress.

My point has always been this what is more safe, not easier, but you have tried to say that mechanical media is safer and easier which is flat out wrong. Some day you'll get hit by copying data to another drive for backup finding out that some of the data is corrupt and then loosing your original drive, then you'll be screwed. It's happened to me and most people I know or deal with it is just a matter of time and lazyness.

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

That's not what I said...

14. Mr-Movies

Mr-Movies Active member

I think that is what you said even if you were not conscience of it!

You coming around you're just not aware of it. LOL

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Well, by all means take half my sentence so you can spin what I said out of context. The rest of the sentence illustrated that optical discs are more robust for a specific example. The rest of the time though...

16. Mr-Movies

Mr-Movies Active member

That example works in all instances sorry but you can't have it both ways...

17. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

It's Deja Vu around here.

I used to swear by optical media, bought & burnt 1000's of the pesky things, loved them.
    Then there were so many of them that i realised it had become a fad, and not a good one. Plus the time taken looking for a particular film, documentary or whatever became extremely irritating. Granted, a very good storage system solves a lot of this frustration.
    What stopped working for me, personally (and i know Sam will concur on this), is that i have so much media, so many documentaries (something like 1TB of those so far), so many tv series, never mind so many movies and frightening amounts of music, that optical media just couldn't hack it it (for me) anymore.
    So i converted most of my movies to AVI, stored on large hard drives (with separate, external, manually maintained backup drives), along with ahem, downloaded AVI's. I then took great pleasure in destroying large amounts of optical discs, though the annoying thing is that i still have stupid amounts of optical discs to sift thru and convert, then destroy.

There's at least one PC and an old type xbox in every room so media watching couldn't be easier, just fire up XBMC or VLC player and watch whatever we want with zero messing about looking for optical discs (everything's networked). Yes there was a huge amount of work converting things to AVI but no more than how much of my life was wasted ripping/copying/burning optical media so it's all good. Now i have masses more convenience in viewing stuff and very good security as everything is on separate, external hard drives. If both copies of a drive were to be wiped or damaged, sure it would be a huge loss but maybe one day i'll get a 3rd copy ie a 3rd external hard drive for each set of data, but it's overkill i think. I must get around to selling my dvd players, (tv) dvd recorder and (tv) hard-drive recorder, they haven't been used in years.

Each to their own as i always say, but aside from CD's that proved invaluable in the very early days ie music cd's and home-burnt "utility/program update cd's" (and home-copied game cd's and dvd's), optical discs to me now are highly irritating and far more trouble than they're worth ; they were invaluable in their day but those days are long past now. About the only purpose they have now is for building new machines at work, install cd's/dvd's, stuff like that, plus i have put together a couple discs of drivers for many types of Dell machines, stuff like that. And when cleansing systems of viruses you can't beat optical discs, though we always keep around large amounts of flash drives that can be used/reused for this task too.

Last edited: May 28, 2011
  18. Mr-Movies

Mr-Movies Active member

There is no doubt that hard drives can be easier than burning discs every time you add to your library. I too use them for storage and normal usage and have no problem with others that do so. And to each his own on how you want to roll the dice too. We all gamble to some degree but a smart man knows when he is taking a gamble and anytime you use mechanical anything over a non-mechanical device you are gambling to some degree. Of course optical media has its hazards too but they are much more limited than any mechanical drive, obviously or it should be obvious.

So when someone argues against physics and nature it becomes quite lame, this is where I have issue.

19. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Oh people will find faults in anything. I look at both technologies cautiously. What I mean is, either could fail. It's a matter of preference, habit, and knowledge. A person that has had a lot of trouble with Optical media, and not with hard drives, is likely to trust HDD's more. A person who has had trouble with HDD's is gonna trust optical media more. Myself, I've acquired a comfort with both technologies. I have an intimate trust in both technologies. The damn velociraptor is gonna make me nuts though! I think I have another one being finicky. I'll probably find out this weekend. What I plan on doing is dumping one of my 1Tb drives, onto a 2Tb drive, and cloning my Velociraptor to the 1Tb drive, and running it that way for a time. I believe i'm getting a kind of intermittent connection. Eliminating the V-Raptor could allow me to discover a problem ;)

20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Well yeah, creaky hit the nail on the head. DVDs and Blurays are fine for small to medium amounts of data, while not necessarily better than hard disks they're no worse. However, once you go beyond a certain point, for example the 13.5TB of data currently stored on my server, optical media just becomes completely impractical. The argument that optical media's more reliable than mechanical storage is flawed, end of story. Where people get confused is from experiencing mechanical storage done wrong, i.e. not backed up. If I lose a drive that's been backed up, I just put the backup in, then buy a replacement disk, or RMA the bad one. Fortunately, I haven't ever lost a drive to one failing (though I have damaged disks in the past due to faulty cables - again no data was lost as it was backed up!)