The Official PC building thread - 4th Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Sep 13, 2010.

1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Some are better than others to be fair, but the viewing angle difference between S-PVA and TN is remarkable. S-IPS goes a bit further, but the difference is less pronounced.

2. Mr-Movies

Mr-Movies Active member

Soooo true! Of course cost goes north fast... But if you can afford it, it is worth it, and for CAD work or the arts it is the only way to go.

3. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

a 1080p monitor for $80. damn they are cheap now.

4. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I'll be spending a great deal more than that :(

5. Mr-Movies

Mr-Movies Active member

With LED backlighting becoming so popular standard LCD's are dropping in price especially the 19-20" ones.

6. FredBun

FredBun Active member

omeg, this is the monitor I got when I did my build, I was a little apprehensive because of the size and some complaining it was hard to set up, after I got it I was blown away, it was not as big as I thought it would be because of space for me, the set up was nothing, I set it to my screen resolution, and it was off to the races, the picture was unbelievable, and some complained about fuzzy text, not a bit, crystal clear. I did get it while it was on a newegg promo code, I think I paid like $159 for it.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236112

7. Mr-Movies

Mr-Movies Active member

Way to go Fred that's a nice monitor I've dealt a lot with ASUS flat screens and they have always been great from my experience I know that Russ has had bad luck with ASUS though. LED's are so nice and so thin that definitely is the way to go!

Last edited: Jun 8, 2011
  8. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

@Mr-Movies,

OK! Now you have me confused. The new monitor I recently bought for my main rig is an Asus ML228-H 21.5" LED backlight 1080p monitor, and I love it! I've had my issues with Asus in the past, but pretty much just Motherboards, although one of my Asus DVD burners died after about 4 months. Since it's not worth the shipping cost to send it back to Asus, I'll just take that as another lesson learned. BTW! I'm the one who advised Fred to buy his Asus Monitor! LOL!! Did you get my email? Been having a lot of problems with Hotmail lately!

Best Regards,
    Russ

9. Mr-Movies

Mr-Movies Active member

I wasn't confused I knew it was MB's and I knew you had bought a monitor from them, I'm getting old but I'm not losing yet, at least I hope not... :^) I just threw that in because I always had good luck with ASUS and you hate their MB's, I knew this would perk you up! Shame on me huh!! LOL

I'm surprised you burner died they are typically Pioneer drives which are excellent for the most part. But you can get a lemon from anyone so it is understandable.

Yes I got the email I haven't messed with it yet as I just got back from a golf tourney this weekend up at Ruttger's Bay Lodge and I'm still doing some stuff for others on handicapping and what not. I will take some time out in the next day or two and listen to what you sent and I have already prepared some feedback to your email but want to listen to it before replying.

10. FredBun

FredBun Active member

Russ is right, I did get it on his recommendation, I actually wanted the one he has, but when I tried to order, it was temporaraly out of stock, and yes I was pissed, that's when Russ recommended the one I have, I was worried about the size cause it was bigger than his, I figured my space is not huge plus I didn't want a monster in front of me, he said don't worry you'll be fine even though I also read about the text, he said Fred sometimes you can't beleive everything you read on the comments, plus the fact some people don't know how to set them up properly, trust me I know this monitor, I gave it a shot and beleive me I never saw a monitor this clear, the colors blew me away, I even watched a couple movies on it, which I never do, and it was a pleasure, the other LCD's I had watching movies sucked, and it's no where near as huge as I thought it would be, fits my desk perfect, and it's great not having to scroll sideways any more, everything show's up just fine, I couldn't be happier.

11. Mr-Movies

Mr-Movies Active member

That is really true especially on NewEgg were experts are really newbee's. A 23" is a nice size and they are pleasurable to watch movies on for the most part. I have 24's but wish I had larger actually luckily one of my 24's is a 16:10 which I prefer I also have a 16:10 23”, more screen better surfing.

12. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I'm sure that Asus is a decent monitor. My mother has similar model, except it isn't LED backlit. But I'm afraid the reason I'm spending considerably more, is because I want my next monitor to be an IPS panel. IPS monitors are extremely sharp with accurate color production, and excellent viewing angles. Ideal for an avid photoshop user. It drives me nuts now working with a conventional monitor.
    Although according to wikipedia:
    A new technology developed by Samsung is Super PLS an advanced display to overcome the distortion of viewing LCD and OLED at an angle, it is intended to supersede conventional IPS, with decreased production costs and increased image quality. It has not yet become available in commercial products, general mass production is estimated in 2012.
    Can't wait to read reviews about this! I'm very curious. Have you heard anything about this Sam? Anyone?

By the way, The Dell monitor I want, also has multiple video inputs. Component being a choice. I want it! LOL! Plus it has a card reader. VERY Interested. It's definitely worth the money I'll be spending.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2011
  13. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Mr-Movies,

Both Fred's and my monitor have an aspect ratio of 16x9. That's why the weird sizes of 21.5" and 23.6". They do give full screen 1080p though, something which has to be fudged on a 16x10 screen. As good as 16x9 movies looked on my S-PVA Sceptre, it doesn't compare to what they look like now in 1080p! I watch most of my movies on my computer. We don't have an HDTV, mainly because we don't watch enough TV to justify the expense. There isn't much on worth watching these days anyway.

Russ

14. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I updated.

I agree russ. There really isn't much on tv these days worth watching. Not even cable/satellite.
    About the aspect ratios....I wish they'd just pick a standard and be done with it. I'm sick of all the different aspect ratios. I mean really???
    [​IMG]

I mean how friggin wide can you get!!!

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Blame cinema, that's why such wide resolutions exist. Ever been to a cinema where the screen is as narrow as 16:9?

16. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

kevin, you are missing 21:9

17. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Oman7,

That's precisely why an LCD monitor will never equal the picture quality of a good .024mm dot pitch of a high quality CRT visually! At best an LCD monitor can only equal the CRT at native resolution. I still marvel at the picture quality of my 10 year old Dell 19" flatscreen 4:3 CRT. It's like the "Grain" in Photography. The finer the grain, the better the picture quality!

BTW, on those OLED monitors, I'm betting that it will be at least a year more than predicted. They still have a lot of work to do yet, so don't be too disappointed if they don't make it out before 2014!

Russ

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Well that's not strictly true. Granted, the dot pitch of the best CRTs (typically small 19-20" units that support the full 2048x1536 VGA standard) still exceeds that of desktop LCD displays, but from a dot pitch point of view, some LCDs aren't far behind. The 2560x1440 27" displays have a very high dot pitch compared to the rest of the competition, and are the closest you can get to CRT dot pitch on a desktop LCD. Large numbers of high-end notebooks offer 1920x1080 17" displays, which match/exceed CRT dot pitch, the only reason they're not ultimately superior is they're usually TN displays with a poor viewing angle. Considering the high dot pitches on 2560x1440 27 and 2560x1600 30" monitors though, with S-IPS viewing angle and colour palette, honestly, given the downsides of CRTs (even ignoring their weight, bulk and power consumption, refresh rate at max res made them a real pain to use day in, day out) I don't think we're missing anything from the CRT era at all. Using $100 TN displays is going to null your enthusiasm for the LCD, but once you've seen LCDs done properly, you'll brush most of that criticism aside.
    It's my hope that eventually high dot-pitch LCD/OLEDs come to the desktop arena - if you've seen the pixel density of modern smartphone displays (800x480 in under 4" space), it can easily be done, it's just, the current pixel density, for the moment at least - "will do"

19. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

the iphones screen is 960*640 in a 3.5" space. mindblowing. and a few weeks back samsung produced a 2560x1600 10" screen.

20. Mr-Movies

Mr-Movies Active member

I agree also with Russ there just isn't much new that is worth watching however I love Cinema so I do keep my gear up just like Hi-Fi as there too isn't much new worth buying.

There are a lot of variables throughout the times between film size, Lenses used, and projected size and it has been a capitalist fight from the days of Edison on in Cinema, before even that for Camera's. Some films had an aspect ratio's close to 4:1 now that would be wide. 70mm is by far the best film stock used through the times but was too expensive for the projectors and film so the studio's stopped using it in the 80's for the most part.

Here are only some of the common film formats but there are tons more:
    70mm Film (2.8 in)
    Cinemascope / Panavision Aspect 2.35:1
    Super VistaVision / Super Dimension 70 2.21:1
    65mm Film (2.6 in) Ultra Panavision / MGM Camera 65 2.76:1 - Ben-Hur used this film.
    * 70mm film (or 65mm film) is a wide high-resolution film gauge, with higher resolution than standard 35mm motion picture film format.
    35mm Film (1.378 in)
    Techniscope 2.39:1
    Superscope 235 2.35:1
    Cinemascope 55 2.55:1
    Matted 1.85 / VistaVision 1.85:1
    Cineascope 2.35:1 (letterbox)
    Imagination FX 7012 2.21:1
    Maxivision / Maxivision 48 (48fps) 1.85

I truly wish they would have just stayed with 70mm (2.35:1 or better yet 2.76:1) film as I’m not a lover of 35mm’s poor resolution.