1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread - 4th Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Sep 13, 2010.

1. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

I tested loads of programs on Win7 here ~ http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_jump.cfm/769480/4661854
    However i see both sides of Russ's point, just because Win7 is the successor to XP, and that XP is old doesn't mean XP is foul and evil, if stuff works as good as it did when it was new, there's no real reason to ditch it (unless somebody wants to). Hell we have some Windows 2000 servers at work, they've worked perfectly for many years, no need to upgrade just because there's new stuff out there. Of course if a server blows up then we'd probably use something more modern as it's successor, but not necessarily. For instance we toasted a Windows 2000 server at one of the branches the other week, we rebuilt it exactly as it was before, yes we could have used something newer but there was nothing to be gained. In fact it would probably just cause more problems.
    I haven't bothered with that Win7/XP virtual mode thingy myself, and i won't be, for me it's easier to just have an XP machine around. But i do see the arguments for using such products too.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2010
  2. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Oman7,
    Avi Muxer, TS Muxer, and Avi Demuxer won't work. Tuneup utilities 2009 is another one. I imagine 2010 would work, but I don't want to have to buy yet another program just because Bill gates dictates that I have to! There is no technical reason that these programs shouldn't run!

Russ

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Why would you use TuneUp Utilities in Win7, its whole purpose is to make up for problems in XP that mostly don't exist in 7...

4. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Hmm, I'm afraid in all my tasks, those progies aren't employed by me. And the only muxing and demuxing I do is on my BD machine(also windows 7). Muxing avi's I generally don't do.

5. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sam,
    That's a valid point. All TuneUp Utilities really does is run a fancy version of Disk cleanup! It doesn't remove Trojans or stuff like that. I do need the Muxers and DeMuxers though!

Thanks,

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I take it no dice with compatibility mode?

7. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Oman7,
    You will sooner or later find that all Avi's aren't created equal, probably the main reason for Gom Player or VLC Player. The far eastern versions will not play on WMP Same thing goes for R5 and MKV, which TS Muxer will handle. Otherwise more often than not you have issues with the surround sound. R5's used to only be in Stereo, but I've been seeing a lot of them with 5.1 sound lately. Well that, and I'm a bit of a perfectionist! ROFLMSOAO!!

Russ

8. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sam,
    There is no Compatibility Mode with Win 7 Home Basic.

Russ

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

You sure? I don't see that mentioned anywhere. Is the program for XP64?

10. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I heard that compatibility mode was for Professional and ultimate...

My mom has Basic, maybe I should confirm this ;)

11. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Well, I could swear I got her home basic. But I typed "winver" and it says its Windows Home Premium. Maybe an update? In any case, her version allows for compatibility trouble shoot...

12. Red_Maw

Red_Maw Regular member

For what it's worth compatibility mode has never helped in getting a program to run on win7 for me.

13. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sam,
    It's Home Basic 32 bit. the Ultimate and Premium have it, not the Home basic.

Russ

14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

No, what I mean is, is the program you're trying to use designed for XP 64?
    64-bit programs can't be run in compatibility mode.

15. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sam,
    No it's all for 32 bit. I loved the XP 64 bit, but too much stuff I need had no drivers for 64 bit. There were a lot more drivers for it the last time I used it. I'm sure that will continue as time goes by. Plus I've added a lot of new 64 bit drivers since then. There's a lot of Freeware and Shareware for doing particular things with video, that will probably never have 64 bit drivers. I still check from time to time though.

Russ

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

There's far more drivers for Win7 64-bit though.
    It's been my experience that anything that doesn't run on Win7 is either so outdated it could do with being replaced with an up to date version anyway, or if there's no such option, there are plenty of viable alternatives. Only problems I ever encounter are specific games I want to play, in which case, VirtualBox.

17. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sam,
    I'm going to completely wipe the boot drive and reinstall XP and Win 7 in dual boot, when I get the new MB. I'm pretty sure I'll be sticking with that combo, but first I want to find out how Win 7 repaired itself without being accessed. If I find that it can turn itself on without my knowledge or permission, Win 7 will be history It's already registered to my computer, so when the time does come where I have to use it, I will!

Russ

18. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Been working on a little project. Replacing LED lights in my secondary's case. I didn't realize it was gonna get so involved LOL! I know damn little about soldering. But the following video just helped me a great deal! If you wanna learn basic soldering, this guy knows his stuff. He lays it out for you completely logically, and simplified. Laugh all you like. I haven't done much soldering myself :p
    Basic soldering
    And this totally blew my mind!
    Solder Past
    I didn't realize that such technology existed. Never really thought about it :S Sorta makes you wonder though. Are a high percentage of motherboard issues due to Solder paste screw ups. Its certainly a new factor in my mind. I guess I had other ideas on how components were joined with the mobo's ;)

19. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Oman7,
    Here's a video of how printed circuit boards are soldered. It's called "Wave Soldering"!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXLv7MNjGL0

Russ

20. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member