1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread - 4th Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Sep 13, 2010.

1. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Are you a "4400" and your ability is to destroy sata cables LOL!

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

New post bug protection

3. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

IT's an excellent show by the way ♥

4. Mr-Movies

Mr-Movies Active member

The connectors are not made for high amounts of cycling, insertion, and that is why Sam has had problems with cables. The wire used typically isn't the greatest either they are very cheap. Sam's problems are very common.

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

No, the internal cables always remain permanently attached since the drive's installation.

6. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

HOw many yellow/red cables have you replaced? The yellow ones seem pretty good to me. I've only had one questionable one. It was transparent blue.

I think my brothers was black...

Last edited: Jun 21, 2011
  7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Replaced 6 (all) of the third-party Blue/UV/silver cables, about 5 yellows and about 3 or 4 reds.

8. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Perhaps you're brutal :S Nah, just unlucky I guess. You certainly have good luck with hard drives anyway eh.

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I do sometimes wonder if faulty cables are wrongly attributed to hard disks, given my issues :p

Last edited: Jun 21, 2011
  10. FredBun

FredBun Active member

gotcha.

11. Mr-Movies

Mr-Movies Active member

It sounds like Sam is hard on cables as they really shouldn't be going bad unless they are mishandled. I've messed up latching cables by pulling them off without releasing the latch but otherwise they tend to work fine. There is a bend radius that you should adhere to it' 2" spec. Sometimes when you get the cables new wrapped in plastic they have exceeded the bend radius and that can cause problems.

Black SATA's are the best all others suck! NO, no, no, color just doesn't matter. I have red cables that are just as good as my gray, yellow, blue, translucent and so on.

Keep dreaming Fred:) LOL

12. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

I use solely the yellow/orange and blue cables with the latches on them that Gigabyte sent me. Have yet to have one fail.

On a brighter note I got my second HD6850 back today :D They fixed it up good. Thanks XFX.

13. FredBun

FredBun Active member

That's why I asked, I never had to replace a sata cable ever on any pc I ever owned, store bought or home made pc's, maybe I have been lucky don't know, or maybe the cables they are selling in the UK suck, I just tought it was odd.

14. Mr-Movies

Mr-Movies Active member

I've built and tested hundreds of thousands of PC's and servers and have had bad brand new cables but it is truly rare. The only ones I have had bad that were good when I installed them on internal drives are the ones I screwed up. However like I said before even with eSATA cables that have higher cycle rates they can go bad from usage and I've seen that too.

Is that OK Fred? LOL

15. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I don't know, Sam seems like a pretty intelligent guy. I really don't think with as many bad cables as he's had, he would treat them poorly. That just doesn't add up to me. Perhaps the majority of his cables came from one place. In which he might consider switching retailers/etailers. But that may not be the case either. Maybe he does do something to them, which is ill advised. Perhaps his cleanliness of cables, causes him to bend them too much???

16. Mr-Movies

Mr-Movies Active member

Only Sam would know, I agree he is sharp but even sharp people screw up. If he needs some extra cables I have a ton from all of the computers I've built brand new in plastic wrap.

17. FredBun

FredBun Active member

LOL, Yeppers

18. FredBun

FredBun Active member

I agree 100%, he is one of the big guns here, that's why I thought it was odd, or like you said, might have been sold a bunch of crapola cables.

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

They're from various places, the reason for the colour discussion is that red cables are the cheapest type, and come free with stuff like PCI S-ATA cards, whereas the yellow cables are the latch type and come with gigabyte boards. The one trend that's clear as anything is that more expensive cables, such as those from the likes of Akasa, ACRyan, are far less reliable than basic cables given as freebies with other components. It's been a while since I've had any new cables though, as I've been reusing the cables I've had for older drives quite a few times, so technically all the ones that are failing are quite old (except for aforementioned branded cables).

20. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

doubt its a UKthing, o have had only one bad cable in te last 3/4 years, and that was a latched one that came with my dfi mobo. My premium akasa one is fine, as are all the redones have have got (mainly asus).