1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread - 4th Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Sep 13, 2010.

1. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

i dunno, not seen a black ones fail yet. they must be made better

2. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Alright come on now guys. Lets change the subject. How about the bulldozer Cpu's. When are they gonna grace the planet with their divine presence :D

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Between August and December, roughly.

4. Mr-Movies

Mr-Movies Active member

What color are they it's important! Shame on me I guess I needed just one more dig. :)

5. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Ugh, I hate it when companies do this to me! I suppose it's just as well. I won't have funds til February. At least not major funds ;)

I get my 3Tb drive today. Apparently the drivers route changed though. Won't arrive til I'm at work! Unkind!!!

Last edited: Jun 23, 2011
  6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

If it's any consolation, the Fusion socket FM1 chips are just around the corner.

7. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

The next 3 yrs are gonna be interesting :D

8. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Apologize for what? What fire???? I'm so confused. I thought we were having intelligent conversation???

Yep but do anything but the top-end Bulldozer chips offer anything useful? As far as I was aware there was going to be a mess of Bobcat related parts released before we saw anything real from Bulldozer. AFAIK Fusion is integrated graphics on-chip which isn't much of an incentive for a gamer... :S

9. Mr-Movies

Mr-Movies Active member

I guess I'd rather have my graphics seperate from the processor but the FM1's have there place.

10. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

We were, but I don't like stepping on toes :S

11. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

I didn't know any toes were about to be stepped on :(

Maybe I'm too happy-go-lucky for my own good :(

12. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I felt tension escalating... Perhaps I assumed the worst though. I do that.

13. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Here's the brownish cable I was talking about. Sure thought it was brown anyway. It's not black, It's not grey. Rather unusual. Reminds me of an old electric cord. It's a foxconn sata cable. The way it fastens worries me. It feels cheap. But perhaps the clips are merely worn.
    [​IMG]

14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I've seen some like that, not used any personally. They look quite similar to the standard eSATA cables I have.

15. Mr-Movies

Mr-Movies Active member

You were right in your feeling totally. It is sad things come to that but they do from time to time. I still like Sam and think he is sharp although he may not like me much right now, but this isn't going to change my POV or what I know to be fact. But again it is sad things have to escalate as they do.

Those brown cables are different I have some black ones simular maybe they ran out of one of there primary colors when mixing this batch up? Funny...

16. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

It's in the past, but Sam is not who I was referring to...

17. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Steve,
    The Silverstone FN-121BL, clear w/blue lights, with Rifle Bearings was the first ever non-ball bearing to survive a year in the harsh environment we live in. The Scythe Slipstreams are standing up well and all my fans are very quiet. Lessor fans don't last 6 months. The magnetic sealed ones are the worst, as the particle size of the dust is finer than Talcum powder. It get's in the magnetic seals and destroys the seal by buffing off the magnetic surface, and they soon come to a screeching halt. My Scythes are all over two years, and the FN-121BL is over 3 years old, and was used in my previous Intel build. Because the clear acrylic is so smooth and shiny, dust does not stick to it that easily, so you don't get a lot of the buildup you get with most black fans or the opaque clear ones. Canned air or a compressor blow gun cleans them off real good. Just don't spin the blade with the blow gun, the impeller will blow!

Best Regards,
    Russ

18. Mr-Movies

Mr-Movies Active member

I like Scythe too but there are others that are good. I'm not a sleeve fan at all but have used them I much prefer ball bearings but they have gotten much more expensive in the recent past. I agree that the original muffin fans do get dirty I just periodically blow them out as well as my heatsinks and PSU. There used to be a place near me that sold muffin fans at a buck a piece but they are now gone unfortunately and these were ball bearing type fans with speed control, what a shame. I can imagine the magnetic fans would be a problem, I wouldn't want them for other reasons as well.

Could you make a video of one of the impeller blowing off I'd like to see that? LOL How about trying to crack one with a low "C" on your Wonder Organ that might be cool too!

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The testing environment is a lot less harsh here wrt dust, but I have had a couple of fans fail. A Thermaltake Thunderblade (not really surprising, very cheap and tacky), and one Scythe Slipstream, out of the 6. I've like-for-like replaced it and so far none of the others have failed.
    Although I don't really want to start the S-ATA cable debate again, the mention of test environments does remind me of a possible cause of the S-ATA cable failures - my PCs move often here, to/fro LAN parties, and thus make 26 road journeys each year (or rather, will have done until this summer, when that will end). I did note that with the cable that failed 2 before this one (the one on Voyager's WD20EARS which had previously been used with the HD753LJ), the fault was intermittent but was always either provoked or cured by the system being moved, despite seemingly being securely attached at both ends.

20. Mr-Movies

Mr-Movies Active member

Voyager computers are one of the computers I use to build and test, one of several brand names from the same manufacture. Your cable could either have a cracked internal conductor or the SATA connector itself is a little too sloppy and gets skewed. It could of course be the male side of the connector, on the drive interface itself as well, as I've seen the foils and/or blade crack or even break off. The whole SATA interface is poor at best but cheap to produce which is why it exists in the first place. Replacing the cable is your best bet but if it still happens it could be on the interface and could also be a cold solder on the matting connector. The fact that movement cures it temporarily would point in those directions. Intermittent problems are always the most difficult to resolve. Before you change the cable you could bring up the disk manager and wiggle the cable around to see if the drive disappears from the manager and go from there.