1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread - 4th Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Sep 13, 2010.

1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I'm not referring to Voyager as a brand name, it's the name I have allocated to one of my homebuilt PCs. The cable on this particular drive was replaced in April and has not been problematic since.

2. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

The 3Tb WD30EZRSDTL is in :D I had to run the X1 S-ata card to my secondary PCI-e 16X slot. Trust me, I have to. Lets just say my GPU has a lot to do with it blocking the X1 slots, and my bottom PCI slot may be dead, due to a bad video cap card :( So I can't move my Sata PCI card.

I'm doing a long format. I know, I know, not really necessary, but I do insist on doing it this way. I estimate upwards of 6hrs to completion. 2794.39GB will soon be mine :D

I used the GPT partition by the way. I believe it's necessary for these drives.

I'm naming her "Shani" which means wonderful ♥

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

GPT is indeed compulsary for drives larger than I think 2100GB. I stopped short of naming my drives in a manner like that, simply because while I wouldn't want to replace any of my PCs as an entire unit, I could replace a hard disk without too much consequence, and indeed have sold some of my old drives in the past. Before I had an alphabetised uniform file structure though they did need distinctive names, and hence the naming system that I use.

4. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

THe naming scheme is more for luck than anything. I could be just as content using a numbering/lettering scheme :p Eventually, i'll likely run out of the alphabet though. Gamma Echo just doesn't sound as pretty as Ulani, or Samantha or whatever. More sounds like a military strategy LOL!

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I didn't bother with simple alphabetised names as they are a bit too boring :p

6. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

8hrs and 13min later, slow full format complete. It's now itching for data LOL! Now I want another one :D Or two!

7. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

This? What does "This" mean? I smell something sour...

8. FredBun

FredBun Active member

I smell something worse than that, don't be clicking on anything.

9. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

idiot deleted

10. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Devastating day for me :( I was gonna trade my Samsung 24" monitor, for my brothers 17" Dell, and get $100 taken off of what I owe him. I was hooking it up to his computer, and I started swinging the DVI cable by lifting the monitor itself as high as the ceiling. Well... the ceiling isn't alone. There is also a ceiling fan there. Doh! The blades came into contact with the LCD. Needless to say, the LCD is not very tough. I plugged it in, to assess the damage. The LCD is toast. Perhaps one day I can replace the panel in it. But not anytime soon. As I'm sure you can imagine, I gave the fan a very dirty look. But of course, I'm the one to blame ;) I'll never look at it the same though.

THankfully, this last weekend I got a Samsung SyncMaster 955DF CRT monitor at my mothers yard sale. Free! My grandmother let me have it for all of my help. It has a "0.20mm Superfine Pitch". Quite possibly one of the best pictures I've seen. Had to tweak a few settings, but it looks very good. I may still tweak a few more settings. But at least I have a monitor while I save for the Dell. I don't think I'll make that mistake again...

11. Mr-Movies

Mr-Movies Active member

Unless you can find another 24" flat panel with a bad PS or something your Sammy will be useless. A new replacement panel will cost you as much or more than buying a whole new monitor.

Lessons learned: Turn ceiling fan off before holding monitor above head. Good sticky note!

12. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

LOL! Indeed. Believe me, I'm beating myself in the head for this. I may get lucky on the panel one day. Ebay is beautiful every now and again. You're probably right though :p

13. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Oman7,
    What is the model number of the Samsung 24"?

Russ

14. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

2433BW :( It was a beauty... I imagine the panel is common amongst the Samsung monitors. E.g. multiple models use the same one. I'll have to research it tonight. Gotta go to work right now.

15. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

16. Mr-Movies

Mr-Movies Active member

That is the same as one of mine and yes you're right they are pretty much common as to being replaced. They mount and connect pretty much the same.

17. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

One, i'm unsure of the warranty, which shouldn't be up. Two, I doubt very seriously that the warranty covers damaged LCD due to accident.

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

It won't, unfortunately. Probably too small a value to claim on household insurance accidental damage cover (because it'll raise your future premium if you do).

19. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Kevin,
    Here's the Samsung part number of the screen. Shouldn't be too expensive, as it's a TN panel 1900x1200. Fairly simple to change!

LTM240W1-L01

Russ

20. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

It happened in my brothers house. I won't ask him to use his insurance for such a low value item. He didn't even use it for a $500 HDTV. I'm biting the bullet on this one. One day, I may get a replacement LCD panel. But I won't hold my breath. If it costs me more than 100$, I won't see the need in resurrecting it. Brand new ones go for little over 200 now.

Thanks for the part # russ. I'll likely make use of it :D