The Official PC building thread - 4th Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Sep 13, 2010.

1. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Kevin,
    You never know. I did a 17.3" for a Toshiba laptop, and it was $51 including free second day Air! LED Back-lighting screws up the Vesa Wall Mount plate for Desktop Monitors, but makes for much cheaper screens without all the CFLs, inverters and any other hardware related to back lighting. Something important to consider in a future monitor purchase. They ship cheap because they are much lighter and thinner. Virtually no heat at all. My 22.5" Asus draws 30w! 1w Standby! The old Sceptre was 99w, no standby! I still prefer the picture quality of the Sceptre in most resolutions, but at 720p or 1080p, the difference isn't close. HD looks far better on my Asus than it did on the Sceptre. At other resolutions, the Sceptre had the better picture. S-PVA screens have gorgeous color, but their contrast ratio is lower than TN Panels, so their blacks are not quite black, but the S-PVA screen's color is so natural and much richer with better color depth. There's a scene, in the old Errol Flyn Robin Hood movie, where the horses are kicking up a spray and you can see a rainbow, at least in the movie you could. I could see it with the big Dell 19" 4:3 CRT monitor, it shows on the Septre S_PVA screen, and an almost $1500 NEC 27" belonging to a Customer. This is the best monitor I have ever seen. So I'm looking at the specs, and I see 0.023mm Pixel Pitch on a 27" native resolution of 2560 x 1440, S-IPS LCD Monitor, and I'm saying to myself, "Are you kidding me?" I think the first HD 1080p movie I watched on it was 'Sherlock Holmes'. All the little details I never saw before, came to life right in front of my eyes. It's big, and it's heavy, but it is an awesome monitor. I want one!

Russ

2. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

new page bug...

3. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

So if I understand you, you're recommending me an LED backlit monitor? I want a monitor, with low pixel pitch, and true/good color. The Dell monitor I've been drooling over gets very good reviews. For 1500$, I could get a 30" Dell with even more desktop space. Does that NEC have an SD reader, and USB hub? And how many video inputs? The High end Dell monitors come with everything a person could need and use :p That's why I want one so bad. And the monitor I Want is Excellent for an avid photoshop user :D I think this CRT monitor I'm currently using could be good for it too. With all the settings it has, it might be able to match the dell. I'm not kidding, this sucker must have been a high end CRT.

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Pretty much exactly as I'd expect, S-PVA is better than TN, but 720p/1080p look better on a 1080p screen than on a 1680x1050. Assuming nothing happens to this one, I'm probably not going to intend on buying a new monitor until I can get a higher resolution than 2560x1600 in the same screen size.

5. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I wonder what kind of difference can be expected. I agree that 1080P would not look as good on a 1680 x 1050 monitor. But I wonder how noticeable the scaling would be.

Have you heard of any monitors increasing pixel density? They're definitely due for an advancement aren't they LOL!

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

That NEC will use the same panel as the Dell Ultrasharp U2711. Same specs and everything. This 27" panel is the only advance in pixel density we've had recently

7. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Just a matter of time I'm thinking. I'm noticing Phones with pretty impressive resolutions :D

8. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

phones have insane resolutions for their size, i mean 3.5" with a 960x640 screen is mad. to get the same pixel pitch, at 10" you need 2560x1600.

9. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Last edited: Jun 29, 2011
  10. Mr-Movies

Mr-Movies Active member

NEC is the way to go for S-PVA monitors it is very possible that the Dell monitor is NEC as Dell like Radio Shack and Sears rebrands others products to sell under their name.

A 30" monitor with 1680 x 1050 native resolution is not so great in my opinion and like Sam I would expect at least 1920x1080p, if not higher.

11. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I would NEVER buy a 30" unless it had at least 2560 X 1600. NEC is wayy too overpriced. I respect their company though. Wouldn't surprise me if the panels are one and the same. I once heard that all/most the panels are produced by one company(probably not true though).

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

There's no such thing, nor did anybody imply this?

13. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

He may have brought it up, when I was asking what 1680 x 1050 would look like downscaling 1080p. Probably not too bad, depending on Pixel pitch, and how critical one is ;)

14. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Oman7,

Pixel Density is a mechanical function that's only limited by resolution. The Pixel Pitch is fixed within the given Real Estate of the screen size. It can't be changed. The difference between the S-PVA at 1680x1050 and the 1080p screen is very slight with HD Content. The S-IPS screen is quite good, and seems to have equaled the S-PVA in color depth, but still lacks in color density and Texture, which is the Sceptre's strong points! The biggest difference I see is a slight loss in 3D effect when watching 'Avatar', but the colors are more lush than they are on the S-IPS screen, so they do look quite good. I noticed the same thing with 'Alice!' There were far fewer resolutions that looked bad with the 1680x1050 Sceptre, than with the 1080p monitor. The 1080p monitor is great for 1080p and 720p. Pretty much anything else except a 4:3 AR looks terrible. I may try some custom resolutions to see if I can improve the overall quality of regular movies with it. Maybe sacrifice a little size for a clearer picture.

Russ

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

You sure it's an S-IPS? The colour accuracy of S-IPS monitors is usually even higher than S-PVA, and they are usually very expensive displays, only found in high end products.

16. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

WHen I suggested they're due for an advancement, I knew what I was saying about Pixel density. A 24" monitor with a resolution of 2560 x 1600 would be more pixel populated (higher density), than a 24" with a max resolution of 1920 x 1200. I think the LCD panel technology is due for a 24" panel that could succeed even 2560 x 1600. Certainly when you look at phones with insane resolution. But I guess their technology is slightly different. But surely the LCD's aren't that different...

You do know that IPS is better than S-PVA right russ? That's the way I've always understood it :S

17. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sam,
    It's not color accuracy that is the problem, it's the color density and texture, which the S-PVA seems better at, especially with regular movies. I'm talking about comparing the picture quality against a then $1500 NEC. Old Cinemascope movies look awful and un-sharp on the NEC! Yet they look quite beautiful on the Sceptre, and far worse on my TN panel Asus 1080p monitor.

Russ

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

not heard the term 'color texture' before. No idea what that could refer to. Colour density sounds like reduced contrast to me, which is common with S-IPS and takes some getting used to. You're no longer watching a saturated HDTV-type image, but a very plain, flat image, that's totally accurate. It makes video look a little odd at first, but makes using the desktop for browsing/word processing etc. much nicer.

19. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Sam, are you confirming that video doesn't look quite as good on IPS :S

20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

'good' is subjective in this case. It depends how you like your video. If you like it really bright with very high contrast, then yes, you will probably prefer S-PVA, my 3008WFP can't touch my 42XV635DB for vibrance. However, the glossy saturated look that the HDTV gives for just using the desktop wears thin pretty quickly and in those cases I'm glad to be back on the PC monitor.