1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread - 4th Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Sep 13, 2010.

1. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Oman7,
    Define better! All types of panels have their strengths and weaknesses. There is no perfect answer. S-IPS does more things better than any other type of panel I see a lot of monitors, because I have people bring theirs when they have video problems. The best monitor I've seen to date was a Samsung SyncMaster 275T. It cost about $1000 back in 07. I just found out today that it has an S-PVA screen. The last time I saw a price on one, they were getting around $600 for one. If I couldn't have the NEC, I sure would like to find one of these!

Russ

2. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

My 2407WFP was $660 back in early '07 and is, I believe, an S-PVA :S

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

My 2407FPW was £640 ($850 pre-tax at today's exchange) in August 2006. My 3007WFP and 3008WFP were £777 and £815 respectively ($1040/$1090 pre-tax) in December 2006 and November 2008. However, the 3007WFP was second-hand (unused, new in box) and the 3008WFP was refurbished. The 2407FPW was brand new off the shelf at an online store.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2011
  4. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Well...I guess I simply assumed since IPS seems to be the most sought after, and has excellent viewing angles and true color reproduction, that it would be the best. Guess I'm wrong. When I here that IPS produces true colors, I basically assume that's as good as it gets. Especially when you don't have to be dead center of the screen to enjoy the true color reproduction.
    This guy seems to think S-IPS is the way to go all around. But he does mention that blacks can be variable amongst the manufacturers.
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?s=b078d7cbd8fb0485bc9513799eb9c518&p=2804547&postcount=1
    THanks for putting me in my place guys. Seriously! ;) I guess it really depends on what you're doing. Clearly, when I get the Dell monitor(I have to have it), I'll decide just how well it does all around. THe multiple video inputs are too wonderful to pass up. Plus the SD reader :D

5. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Estuansis,
    I know someone who has two of them, and it's another monitor I would put on my list of monitors that I would like to have. Good chance as Dell is always having sales on refurbished Monitors at very good prices. In fact, I've had very good luck with refurbished products from Dell. I still would rather have the Samsung 275T, 27" 16x10 S-PVA Widescreen. For my needs the question is, is it worth it for me to spend twice as much or more on an S-IPS monitor, and to me the answer is, no it isn't! I love the slightly warmer picture quality of the Samsung, even over the now $1349 S-IPS 27" NEC. It's the naturalness of the picture I enjoy the most. Things look the way you expect them to look. Skin tones are almost always perfect, and it's rare that I ever have to adjust anything. Technically the NEC would be the better monitor, but 1080p on it looks somewhat surreal, like it had been tweaked to the max. It loses the naturalness of the Samsung! It's like everything about the picture is punched up a notch on the NEC. The sharpness is a teense to much, and the contrast about the same, and you can't adjust it out. For me, the choice would have to be the Samsung 275T The NEC is a beautiful monitor with tremendous specs. 2560x1440 resolution, with a 0.23mm Pixel Pitch, and 178 degree V&H viewing angles, it certainly sparkles. Then again, Samsung has developed an S-PVA panel with the same 178 Degree V&H viewing angles as the S-IPS. All I know is that It's still at the top of my list for a monitor!

Best Regards,
    Russ

6. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Your Samsung is going for nearly 800 on ebay. Sounds like a good monitor though, for an S-PVA panel. It has component input, that surprised me. Sure is a beast for power though. 130W!

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

8. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Yah, when I posted that, it brought me to page one. I knew the message posted though, so I didn't post again. Nothing if not predictable. I'm assuming everyone else cannot view the message without posting though, am I right?

This message put me on page one too...

Last edited: Jun 30, 2011
  9. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Well it looks like Bobcat is officially out. If I was building today, this would be my choice!

AMD bobcat

Motherboard $129.99
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128515

APU A8-3850 2.9GHz Quad Core $139.99 HD 6550D Graphics
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103942

Total $269.98

You could also do a budget build using the A6-3650 2.6GHz Quad core for $119.99 HD 6530D Graphics
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103943

Motherboard $99.99
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128511

Total $219.98

Sounds interesting, and inexpensive! You certainly can't make the pipelines any shorter than this, so the graphics should be pretty fast!

Russ

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

$235 buys you a Core i3 2100 Dual core CPU and a P67 board, which is faster and more efficient than the AMD A8. Powerful integrated graphics seems to be coming at the expense of everything else.

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

It's also worth mentioning this is not an AMD Bobcat CPU, the A8 and A6 series are Fusion CPUs, which are based on the same K10 CPUs as the current Phenom IIs.

12. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

but sam, then with the p67 you cant use the built in GPU. this is being aimed at those that will use the GPU part.

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Well, the IGP case is largely irrelevant for the Core i3, because the performance difference between the AMD IGP and the Core i3 IGP is night and day, the AMD is miles faster. However, my point was you can get a pretty high end board with the CPU and still come out cheaper. H55 boards tend to be relatively low-end affairs.

The integrated GPU is quite powerful (similar to a GT430, and a little way behind an HD5570), and that goes a long way to restore the value of the system, but only if the full talents of the GPU are going to get used. Otherwise, you could have bought a better value system with a weaker IGP. This is no enthusiast's platform, as the flagship A8-3850 is only as powerful as a Phenom II X4 920.

14. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Sam is right Russ, the A8 series aren't Bobcat they are Phenom II based CPUs with integrated GPUs. Bobcat isn't out yet :p

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Not exactly true, Bobcat CPUs are already out in notebook, netbook, mini-ITX and embedded computer systems, just not the desktop market.

16. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I think they're interesting. Perhaps not the best idea for an enthusiast, but it is impressive technology. Can't wait for the product which will entice the enthusiast ;) Though this one will likely entice a select group. If I had more money to play, I'd likely build a system using that processor. Just for fun, and curiosity. I imagine I'm not alone here :p

17. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Yes true, but you certainly aren't going to find Bobcat CPUs for OEM retail yet, only in mass mfg PCs.

18. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sam,
    Both have their plus and minuses. For someone like me, the A8-3850 would be fine. If I needed more graphics for gaming, I could always combine a dedicated Graphics card with the APU, something the Intel can't do! I'll be honest, I've read some good things about the system!

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1649/1/

Russ

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I agree with the principle, but realistically hybrid crossfire doesn't make the slightest difference to any reasonably powerful card, as the performance of the IGP will make up such a small fraction of the dedicated card's performance, that you won't see any of the benefit for the overheads. While the A8-3850 would be 'fine', a normal Phenom II setup would be far superior for now.

20. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member