1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread - 4th Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Sep 13, 2010.

1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Well, I naturally assume nobody is going to have I/O so bad that they'll be I/O limited for encoding video. I would naturally assume when encoding a DVD, that they aren't going to be making the full 16-24x DVD read speed (22-33MB/s) when encoding, as that is unlikely to be a quality encode. Likewise when encoding content from a PC, the data rate off the hard disk is going to be far higher than the process rate.

2. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Guys guys, I doubt I've breached my I/O activity limit. I am finding that at least one S-ata cable is bad. I plan to replace that S-ata cable, possibly more and see what happens. I suspect I may have more than one faulty cable. I have lockups occurring, and I haven't determined why yet. It drives me crazy. But I don't have the space to work in here. Which drives me even MORE crazy ;) I am gonna get to the bottom of this. But my overclock does not seem to be the problem. I really wish I had a spare board to help me trouble shoot this. For I suspect the board might have a slight issue. I truly hope I'm mistaken...

3. Mr-Movies

Mr-Movies Active member

Russ, that is new based on old technology. I had some mechanical engineering friends that were doing this 15 years ago they did the same thing but in a polymer tank instead of a powder tray. They also had to model the part in Pro-E or some type of 3D CAD system so it wasn't as easy as scanning a part and creating a model. It also didn't allow ink coloring since the tank/Laser setup would not allow that. This new method is cheaper and easier.

4. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sam,
    You aren't following what I am saying. Antiquated software is the cause of the problem. To run faster, under the circumstances would not be economical. It's much more than speed. The original software was designed for single Core CPU and single threaded. Timing for video is critical, so it places limits on just exactly how much you can speed things up before it affects that timing! The software needs to be completely re-written, which is pretty much what the $75,000 version buys you! You won't be finding that on any Torrent!

Russ

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Well, I was assuming from what I heard that it was only using a reduced, but variable percentage of the CPU power, not a fixed number of cores, which would make more sense.
    Personally, I'd probably ditch software that was so old it was single threaded. I'd find it hard to believe there's no suitable replacement for that encoder that supports multiple cores.

6. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

That'd be HC encoder. It supports quads at least. But it's only marginally quicker, and the results are a debate. Some think that HC is as good as CCE, others think CCE is a little better. I really haven't done much testing with it. If it ain't broke, don't fix it ;)

7. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Now if we could get back to the most amazing thing I've ever seen! Thank You! This is serious!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZboxMsSz5Aw&feature=player_embedded

If this is true, The impact on the world and it's economies is going to be staggering! In theory it is possible, and in function Plausible. Very likely? It's very hard to tell! I can easily make a case either way! I've never seen anything like it, but I have read in the past about Scientists working on it. The economic implications can not be ignored! Watch the video and you will understand!

Russ

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

3D printers have been around for quite some time, I know someone that has used one. The problem is they're mostly limited by what material they can build out of (most use ABS plastic), and they are also quite slow, of the order of taking 80-100 hours to produce relatively small objects. it's amazing technology, but with CNC milling machines already used on an industrial scale, this isn't really bringing anything new to the fore except placing materials construction in the hands of smaller businesses.

9. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sam,

Wrong economic implications! I'll give you a little more time to find the big picture you are missing here!

Russ

10. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Oman7,
    I'm looking for improvements in overall time. At 22 minutes for 7-8GB 1080p content, you can't justify the cost. HC encoder is not a good solution to me. CCE does a much better job IMHO!

Russ

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Depends, 7-8GB for 1080p if it's a film is somewhat on the small side. That's an OK file size for an 80 minute file, but anything beyond that, and the bitrate isn't really high enough to prevent visible compression artifacts. For 1080p I usually try for 6GB per hour as an absolute minimum.

12. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sam,
    I process them to DVD5 or DVD9 depending on the quality. It works out pretty good. I totally un-compress the files when I rip them, and process those files with DVDRB/CCE. 12GB generally takes me 2 hours to rip, rebuild with CCE 2 pass and burn to a DL DVD9. I don't have to get involved with BD, or have to buy a BD player, and I don't have to spend many more hours. I'm more than happy with the quality. I don't see enough difference in picture quality to justify the time or expense! It's not 100% perfect, but I don't mind settling for about 98% quality!

Russ

13. Mr-Movies

Mr-Movies Active member

So you must convert the m2ts to dvdifo prior to using DVD-RB as it doesn't transcode BD file formats.

There is a big difference between a converted BD -to- DVD format, over true HD and if you could pass the color test you would hopefully see the difference, it is noticeable.

It is definitely better and noticeable to have a BD player and HDTV than a hybrid DVD. For someone critical in the audio world you fall way short in the AV world.

HC is no ware as good as CCE or ProCoder they both are superior and I've even compared them in front of a novice who could as well see the difference.

The 3D scanner/printer is not going to change the world either although it is cool and has its place. For you and I it is way too expensive to buy, maintain, and use to make it a value. Also that plastic wrench is not going to hold up to the torque that a good forged steel wrench will.

Stevo

14. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Stevo,
    I got a score of 4. I can see well enough. I'm very fussy about my Video too!

I DL my HD content, it's not from disk. I don't want any part of BlueRay, and I don't think I'll ever own an HDTV. We don't watch much TV around here, maybe a couple of hours a week. I think I set a record here last month because I watched Jackie's PBS Special 4 times and a couple of Antiques Roadshows. You can forget most sports because it's all about making money and buying Championships, while kids go to bed hungry across America because they have no food! Greed Prevails! Nascar and F-1 are like soap operas. Couldn't tell you who won the SuperBowl last year! I did watch the World Series. I had to root for the Giants. The rest of the time there's not very much worth watching on TV. I don't do stupid, so network TV is out! LOL!!

What I had in mind for the printer is eliminate the scanner as it's by far the most expensive and sophisticated part, make a basic printer and live off the materials and templates! I'm sure the tools are more a novelty than anything I'm just beginning to see Ceramic/polymer infused titanium impellers for miniature air turbines now, that will live at 500,000+ rpm!

Russ

15. Mr-Movies

Mr-Movies Active member

A 4 is 4 times worse than me which means you are close to blind. LOL Of course you could be truly blind if you were a 10 or higher. :)

I agree that there isn't much on TV or for movies these days and I too hate stupid which seems to dominate the market. However I would say there are still some good HD movies and for me I watch Baseball as it hasn't yet hit the punk trash level like all most all other professional sports. I do watch college hockey, hockey being my most favorite sport with exception only to skiing. Golf is nice in HD too. And I watch a lot of old classic's like I've mentioned before with you, of course you don't really gain much with HD and classics. You can get a decent HDTV 40-47" for cheap and a really good BD player for $100. So for less than a nice PC I can have a decent HD setup. For me HD is worth if just to watch baseball let alone the few good HD movies out there which I have over 100 of and could increase that. James Bond remaster to HD is like watching new bond movies from back in the 60's. Also a lot of Nature programs are shot in HD and much more enjoyable to watch that way.

It's too bad you have to follow those crappy Giants but we all have our down side! LOL Of course it could be worst if you followed the Yankee's or even worst Boston. :p

Ceramic is a bit heavy for impellers and I would think they would not last long as they would crack and become fragile. Also the polymers are not cheap either and I have priced the new style printer but I doubt that is cheap too.

So in summation we can probably all chip in and get you some new glasses so you can see what you are missing, it may open a whole new world to you... :~)

Best regards good friend,
    Stevo

16. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Stevo,

No, it's only two times worse. You only have to make 2 mistakes to get a 4! Even my Seeing-Eye dog knows that! :~)

The ceramic/Polymer/Titanium turbines actually weigh about 25% less than the alloy ones, are much stronger and allows the hub weight to be much lighter than with alloy impellers, reducing the hub mass closer to the centerline. These things are incredibly tiny! The impeller is about the same size around as a cigarette, and the whole turbine assembly is only about 3/8" long with the bearings. These are for High Speed Dental Handpieces.

I don't want an HDTV, or a BlueRay player! I have no interest in BD at all! I also don't have room for anything over 32" in an HDTV! I watch most movies on my computer to begin with, and I'm very happy with my results DVDRB/CCE results!

Oh, and I am a Yankee fan! I gave up on them for a few years and followed the Mets, but they were just as bad as the old Brooklyn Dodgers, if not worse. Northern NJ was a great place to grow up for me. I had my pick of games to see every week. Brooklyn, Manhattan or the Bronx, all accessible by Subway! A Great time and place to be a Kid!

Take care my Friend,
    Russ

17. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Clearly there has been a new page bug...

Russ...please get a blu ray player...

Last edited: Jul 12, 2011
  18. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Oman7,

Why? I don't have a need for one or the desire to spend money for something I don't want or need!

Russ

19. FredBun

FredBun Active member

BD for Russ is a waste, I have a 40 incher, same results, a waste, how many times and how many different threads, this subject goes on and on, I did the BD thing on my 40 way back, hardly any significant difference, over 40 yes, I just helped my sister in- law get a 55, did convince her for a BD player, did show her the difference between her dvd player and the BD movies on her new BD player.

She was impressed but not by much, she's the kind that can still watch non HD content on her LCD TV which really sucks, I could not do it whenever we were over her house, my eyes are cursed, they pay to much attention to detail, but all in all she's happy.

I was suprised when she said something I always said all along, and I never mentioned this to her, this came from her own head, she said how much a of great difference there was between VHS to DVD, this blue thing people talk about, ahhh, no biggie she said, give the woman a cigar.

20. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

LOL, Just teasing. To each his/her own after all. I have the curse too fred. I can't help but focus on imperfections.

My brother has a 40", there is a difference from DVD to BD. 720P to 1080P on the 40" is however not very noticeable. In fact you have to look very closely to see the difference.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2011