1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread - 4th Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Sep 13, 2010.

1. Ketola

Ketola Turned ninja Staff Member

I guess most are just accustomed to having to work around all the bugs.. ;-)

Edit: The paging seems to work as well. This post is the first post on the 97th page.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2011
  2. FredBun

FredBun Active member

I mentioned the problems several months ago, at the time nobody seemed to care, after what Sammy said than I knew it wasn't just me, cause the exact thing has been happening to me but for quite a while now, I thought I was going goofy.

3. Ketola

Ketola Turned ninja Staff Member

Unfortunately neither we, the admins, or our moderators can keep up with all the threads, so things may go unnoticed. Usually if there's something odd, it's a problem with the site, not the computer at the other end. So please do feel free to contact us via feedback any time you feel something's not quite right!

Cheers,

Jari

4. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Thanks Ketola. Much appreciated. I have no doubt that a site as distinguished/busy as Afterdawn could have bugs slip through the cracks. ;) You guys keep up the good work ♥

5. Mr-Movies

Mr-Movies Active member

Sam gets wrapped up in specs and that isn't always valid unless you look at the bigger picture. I can take 10 different TV's with the same specs in the same sizes and you can see a big difference between them. In fact I bought a 27" 1080p Vizio without viewing it from Costco and had to bring it back as it was horrible. I got the Sammy in the same size and specs but the Sammy was much better, and yes acceptable even though I could have spent more and got great. My mother who is quite old could easily see the difference and was the one that the TV was for.

You are right Kevin, if you can see the difference there is a difference. This isn't about whether you accept something shaty or not, however I still say there is a big difference. My eye sight is 15/10 corrected or native when I was young and didn't need glasses. LOL

6. FredBun

FredBun Active member

Your 100% right Javi, as I said before, months ago I wrote several times, I did not try to contact any of the administration people, I just wrote on this thread, I kept asking if anybody had any of the same issues I was having, I wanted to make sure it was not on my end only, no one responded, after building a new PC I thought this might go away after the new build, it didn't, so I just chalked it up that maybe I'm doing something wrong, now that the same thing is happening to others finally others have spoke, it's a minor annoyance but it's there.

The two issues I have is many times after a post or reply, you wont see my reply or post for days, and last, I can get a dozen e-mails from AD about a new post but it's never new, it's always the same last post or reply, than a day or two later finally I get all the past post's, it could be two pages full, after a while I just learned to open my e-mail AD newsletter, click on most active forums on this thread and somehow that's always updated properly after every new post. The double post thing, that only happens once in a while, it kinda got buggy yesterday.

Don't know if this is any help but it's the best way I can explain it, other than that no big annoyance, plus the fact you guy's do great work, nobody out there is perfect, and I'm sure I can speak for everybody else here that AD is far superior than most, So Thanks.

7. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

8. Mr-Movies

Mr-Movies Active member

Really nice but the video slots are too close together they should have put the PCI's between them so you can use the double wide video cards which is most of the market. My guess is that you can't use two x16 slots as the first card will overlap the second slot which means you have a 16x/8x configuration. But still nice and SLi and Crossfire compatable. This is the ticket for Russ. Maybe in six weeks it will be in the $100 range, and then again probably not!

9. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

LOL, just marveling at it's price, and capability ;) There are lesser boards/models that I'm more interested in. I should really go for an 8 S-ata port board. I use lots of S-ata ports :p

10. Mr-Movies

Mr-Movies Active member

I too prefer more SATA ports and that would be the biggest factor for me too.

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Since you can stick any PCIe card from 1x to 16x in a 16x slot, having every slot be a 16x covers all bases really. PCI is on the way out as a tech now (finally), and I find myself using PCIe replacements for it in all areas. The slots are laid out:
    16,4,8,4,16,PCI,8

So using both 16x slots only is a doddle no matter how wide your cards are.

12. Mr-Movies

Mr-Movies Active member

Maybe? The PCIe's are setup as 16,16,8,8,4,4 and may not allow a 16x in the third slot if it is dedicated, as some are. If it can auto select and depends on the amount of video cards you are using then yes both double-wide cards could be used at 16x, it could go either way so it's not quite that simple.

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Look at the picture of the board closer - Gigabyte always label which slot is which on the board itself, and it's clearly evident that the 16x slots are in positions 1 and 5, the 4x slots in positions 2 and 4, the 8x slots in positions 3 and 7, and the PCI slot in position 6. You're looking for 'PCIEX16_1' etc.

14. Mr-Movies

Mr-Movies Active member

Ya, I didn't look at the MB closely so if it says that then it is laid out well.

15. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Yes, excellent information :S

Well, I guess you can count me among the people, who have had first hand experience with bad s-ata cables. I recently replaced a yellow(with fastener), to a red without fastener. The optical drive was dropping out. I reconnected the cable twice to no avail. Both times the drive dropped out within a few hours. It's now been good for over 24 hrs. I'm not sure how many times I've moved that cable, but it wasn't many. I may try the cable again one day, but for the time being, it'll have a question mark hanging over it LOL! I really hoped it wasn't the port. It looks like the port is fine for the moment. Which is good, I won't be buying a new board for at least a few months yet.

Remember, noting the colors is for my own reference only!

Last edited: Jul 18, 2011
  16. Mr-Movies

Mr-Movies Active member

I would toss the bad latchable cable it's not worth the trouble. It doesn't happen often but I'll run into a bad cable too, normally it is a new cable but from replading drives they can get fussy. Their whole design isn't the greatest and is based on cheap.

17. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Yah, you're probably right. I have plenty after all. I think I've got at least 6 brand new sealed in plastic. Things like that I don't throw away ;) I'd probably hoard 100's before I finally started selling and giving them away...

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Always cut up and throw away definite faulty cables. They're not exactly expensive to replace if you were wrong, and otherwise they get left lying around, you forget they're faulty, add a few new drives and have to go through the whole troubleshooting process again.

19. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

LOL! I'd never forget. I mark cables, components in such a way, that it's impossible to forget. I am fairly forgetful about some things. Which is where a computer shines ;) Reminders e.g. text documents. Some things, I couldn't forget if I tried, but others...
    Lets just say I have a selective memory.
    I do agree though. The cable is going in the trash. It's not worth a possible future headache ;)

20. Red_Maw

Red_Maw Regular member

I need some clarification/confirmation on what memory standard means for mb's. A motherboard with a memory standard of say 1333/1066 will allow you adjust the memory multiplier to (try to) run the memory at up to 1333Mhz with default clocks, but will still be able to run memory at 1600Mhz without problems or instability (assuming everything else is stable) if you oc right?

TIA,

redmaw